You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Positive Thread

Red Nick

Wash your mouth out you cannot ever say Everton are better than us and are they really?

just because your a liverpool fan doesn't mean you can't say that, they have admitted we where better than them for years.

its being a slight twat if you can't repay the favour when its due, don't you think?

Guest saturday shopper
Don't agree with Finnan for MOM. Thought he was poor today.

Lets move forward, last 16 of Champions League, home against Arsenal in the next round of the Carling (lets reverse todays result), and a nice run of fixtures from now until Christmas.

....... fuck me mate, you wanna get a job at Disneyland,..

Worst away record in the Premiership - 4 clubs have played 6, drawn 1 and lost 5: of the other 3, only City have as bad an away goal difference as us, but they have scored more goals.

As this is the positive thread, let's just be pleased that the three hardest away matches are over.

Sorry - that's as positive as I can be.

Positives:Our hard work pre-season will pay off and we'll finish strongly

I'm really beginning to wonder about that. If it means we will be able to maintain the pace we are playing at now, what is the point ? Each season that passes, the title race becomes a sprint, hare versus hare . The tortoise just crawls along in their wake as they disappear over the horizon, it's fit enough of course, just can't keep up. Like today, we were fine for 40 odd minutes and held them no problem, but once they raised their game we didn't have any more to offer.

Once we get into the second half of the season, all those "easy" teams will be fighting just as hard as us ,for whatever reason of their own .

After the OT game I questioned the attitude displayed and I think that problem has been addressed. At least they are moaning at each other rather than just walking away ! So that leaves us with ability and concentration to question. The former is there not so sure about the latter..............

There was one big positive for me yesterday, which was the attitude Rafa approached the game with. We went at Arsenal from the off, created a few chances, and matched them pretty much until the first goal. At half time I felt we could get back into it, as we had started positively and so didn't have to mentally step up a gear, which is something we seem to find difficult. After the second goal went in though, the players' heads dropped completely, as if they were thinking 'here we go again' – they knew they'd played well enough to get something out of the first half, just as they did in the games at Everton, Chelsea and Bolton, but again it wasn't going to be their day. I know they should be able to lift themselves above that sort of thinking, but when it becomes a regular habit it's hard to break, all the more so when you're playing a top side.

My biggest worry after Old Trafford was that Rafa's cautious attitude away from home would be our undoing, but I saw enough in that first half yesterday to suggest that he's ditched it. He certainly will against the lesser teams that we've got coming up in away fixtures between now and Christmas (Boro, Wigan and Charlton). The team's biggest problem now – not the only one, but the biggest one – is a lack of confidence and a huge mental block about getting an away win. Once we get the first one on the board, a big weight will be lifted, and we should then be able to reproduce some of the form we've shown at home and start getting away wins. That confidence will be reinforced if we can keep up our good home form. If we take the game to Middlesbrough on Saturday the way we did to Arsenal in the first half yesterday, then I'm confident we can beat them and get this monkey off our back.