You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

let me know if it is any good hamstrung, I have been holding out for that to be published in paperback but it doesnt seem likely now.

I read a lot, got a few on the go at the min...

The 48 Laws of Power - Robert Green

The Hard Way - Lee Child

Shane Warn - Autobiography

Louie Theroux - Call of the Weird.

Falling Sideways wasn't great. I am now going to read High Fidelity & then something about the history of tractor farming in slovakia (or something).

Do you mean 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian'? The wife has just got it and she never reads books. Seems to think its quite good.

Just finished The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, which is... unforgettably bizarre.

Sorry I've not read through this thread so apologies in advance for any repetition.

Love Iain Banks. Recommend 'Walking On Glass'; it's one that leaves you scratching your head for a while afterwards. Also, though from Iain M Banks 'Feersum Endjinn' is just...no idea...absolutely amazing but odd.

I love all of his work. I'm not a Sci-fi man but his work is worth casting aside prejudices toward the genre, start from the beginning and just get stuck in to all of them. The one 'weak' novel is 'Inversions' but what the book lacks in riveting storyline is more than made up for in descriptive skills. It's almost just a book where he shows off how well he can put the images in his imagination into ink.

A more modern story is 'Dead Air' and I recommend anyone who hasn't yet to read it next.

Back to the original question I'm going through a Haruki Murakami phase. 'Kafka On The Shore' is great but 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicles' is just something else. It's the Russian Doll of the literary world. Just finished his collection of short stories 'Blind Woman, Sleeping Willow' and it's just beautiful. Stories of life, death, time - a modern day Jorge Luis Borges (hence my name) - but I'd recommend reading the above two first.

Sorry I've not read through this thread so apologies in advance for any repetition.

Love Iain Banks. Recommend 'Walking On Glass'; it's one that leaves you scratching your head for a while afterwards. Also, though from Iain M Banks 'Feersum Endjinn' is just...no idea...absolutely amazing but odd.

I love all of his work. I'm not a Sci-fi man but his work is worth casting aside prejudices toward the genre, start from the beginning and just get stuck in to all of them. The one 'weak' novel is 'Inversions' but what the book lacks in riveting storyline is more than made up for in descriptive skills. It's almost just a book where he shows off how well he can put the images in his imagination into ink.

A more modern story is 'Dead Air' and I recommend anyone who hasn't yet to read it next.

Back to the original question I'm going through a Haruki Murakami phase. 'Kafka On The Shore' is great but 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicles' is just something else. It's the Russian Doll of the literary world. Just finished his collection of short stories 'Blind Woman, Sleeping Willow' and it's just beautiful. Stories of life, death, time - a modern day Jorge Luis Borges (hence my name) - but I'd recommend reading the above two first.

I've read all of his non SF stuff and gotta say I love his writing, the majority of his books since the mid 90's has been more contemporary than ever. As for Murakami, I read "Wind up bird Chronicles" and found it to be laboured (not sure if anything is lost in the translation) but still enjoyed.

As for current reading I've just started Vurt by Jeff Noon - very cool so far.

Michael Palin's New Europe.

I've never read any of his before but got bought this last week, definitely looking to get hold of some of his others and also visit some of these places.

He's amazing, such a great man. My old housemate had the complete DVD boxset of his programs and his charm and love of the world just shines through. You can't help but mentally write up a check-list of all the places you suddenly NEED to visit.

Getting even further off topic, a friend of mine came up with the concept for a tv program called 'Thoroughly Nice Men' and it basically involves Michael Palin, David Attenborough and Ray Mears sitting around, having a drink and sharing anecdotes of their travels. I'd watch it.

Was going back through some of No War last night, a collection of work from different authors on the war in Iraq. Superb little book and essential to understand where the "alliance for the free market" where coming from when they invaded.

This is not a criticism at all, Stu. However, there's not a single bit of me that could even be arsed reading something like that, nevermind actually enjoy it. Tastes, eh?

The Game - them PUA boys are pretty good, but I'm better.

Finished reading that a couple of weeks back, was a lot better than I thought it would be. Enjoy.

Stuck on what to read next, I just finished Castle In the Forest by Norman Mailer which was pretty good. Hopefully this thread will give me a few ideas.

This is not a criticism at all, Stu. However, there's not a single bit of me that could even be arsed reading something like that, nevermind actually enjoy it. Tastes, eh?

I think you mentioned that once before when I was talking about a Naomi Klein book, possibly Fences and windows. I don't get what's not to like about it? It not only informs you about the reasons behind a lot of what goes on in the world today but often also gives you stories of real hope from people who believe in changing things for the better. Sure it shows you how fucked up it is when half a million Iraqis are blown up to create a little free-market experiment but I'd rather know than not know.

Guest The Chimp

This week I have been mostly reading Ha Jin's "War Trash". Set in 1951-53, it tells the story of a Chinese officer sent (with other 'volunteers') to shore up the Comminist side in Korea. An English speaker, he is catured by the Americans and engaged as an interpreter in the POW camps. It's very good and won the 2005 Pen/Faulkner Award as well as being in the top 10 of the NY Times Book Reviews best books of 2004.

I am also reading (when I head down the beach) a mix of "Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows" and Andy McNab's "Aggressor", both of which are infinitely more entertaining than work on Malaysian political and economic reforms which I am currently having to research.

I think you mentioned that once before when I was talking about a Naomi Klein book, possibly Fences and windows. I don't get what's not to like about it? It not only informs you about the reasons behind a lot of what goes on in the world today but often also gives you stories of real hope from people who believe in changing things for the better. Sure it shows you how fucked up it is when half a million Iraqis are blown up to create a little free-market experiment but I'd rather know than not know.

I suppose I get my daily ration of all that from reading the paper and watching the news. I couldn't be arsed with reading about such stuff at length, though. I prefer to be entertained, rather than informed when reading books. I hardly ever read non-fiction books (although my current read - mentioned higher up the thread - is an exception).