You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso vs Molby

Street Preacher

There is no comparison. Molby was in a different class to Xabi. In the FA Cup final against Sunderland in 1992 Jan made 126 passes to his team mates. The man is a legend. I've been watching Liverpool for 30 years and I'd have him in my all time LFC team.

harryenfieldandchums_3.jpg

HERMES & SS REVEAL: "Eeeeeeee it were better in my day yew bugger"

Watch the DVD of the 1992 or 1986 FA CUP Final and you'll see the difference.

Molby was brilliant in the '86 cup final but I don't think he's in a different league to Alonso personally and i've seen them both live plenty of times (although I was younger when I watched Molby).

I still think Molby is better but Alonso is not far away. I remember the 1986 FA Cup when he ran the show. He was still mobile despite his build. Also in the Man U game in 1990-91 season (I think, Phil Babb's debut) he was running the midfield and we were pushing them to the corner but just couldn't score. Then Evans decided to bring on Babb and revert to 5-3-2 for the first time. There was defensive confusion and they scored. We never recovered.

Jan Molby was absolutely imperious. He was almost disdainful of any attempt to tackle him, using his incredible strength and touch to protect the ball whilst never once taking his eyes off where it was going next, either long or short. He also had a ferocious shot and was a great penalty taker. I think Molby at his peak wins against a 23 year old Xabi. However, let's have this discussion again in four or five years time, because Xabi is the real deal; a genuinely world class talent.

the game has moved on n the last 20 years, the games is differant now. molby's class shone through the ages

Aye, it takes more these days to be a world beater.

But the talent was still there.

Molby was incredible, really.

He was in a terrible shape for being a footballer and still dominated games.

Guest Swan Red
I still think Molby is better but Alonso is not far away. I remember the 1986 FA Cup when he ran the show. He was still mobile despite his build. Also in the Man U game in 1990-91 season (I think, Phil Babb's debut) he was running the midfield and we were pushing them to the corner but just couldn't score. Then Evans decided to bring on Babb and revert to 5-3-2 for the first time. There was defensive confusion and they scored. We never recovered.

How the fuck does that work when Babb was signed by Evans in 1994 and Kenny was still the manager in 1990/91