You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa has a word with Gerrard

Benitez is a manager who won't tolerate defeatism, so it comes as no surprise he's admitted to having a quiet word with his skipper after the Reds' Champions League hopes were played down.

An interview Gerrard conducted with BBC radio a week ago was mischievously held back until the eve of the Leverkusen match for maximum impact.

Benitez said: "I spoke with Steven Gerrard and he told me his words weren't presented in the right way. But I said to him, in future it's better to think we can win the Champions League. Why not? We need winners here and everyone thinking only of winning.

"I always want to win. If I lose, all I think about is why we lost. When we lose, I only think about solutions. If you only think about winning the next game, you don't know what the draw will be.

"If we can win the next game, maybe we will get a side which isn't so strong, or a side which has injuries or suspensions. This is football, not mathematics. We have a new manager and new players and we are still learning about each other.

Gerrard taken out of context (again)? Whatever next.

You're a joke mate. How can the words he said have been taken out of context? In what context are the words "Realistically it's not our year" acceptable when talking about a cup competition...from the club captain no less.

Go on?

See, even Rafa thinks he's a fucking cunt.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Good to see Rafa not taking no fucking shit off no fucker even if he is the club captain.

He probably pointed out that LFC have a much better chance of winning the CL than Chelski, Arsenal or Manu and wasnt he a lucky boy

Guest Moschops
maybe he was trying to gee the others up?

we dont know this time, lets not jump on him for jumping sake.

People have got enough reasons to have a go, dont make them up!

Yeah, telling people they're not good enough to succeed at something - what a fantastic motivational tool.

With emphasis on the tool.

maybe he was trying to gee the others up?

we dont know this time, lets not jump on him for jumping sake.

People have got enough reasons to have a go, dont make them up!

maybe. But when you set numerous presidents of being an arse then you can't blame people for assuming you're an arse.

I think he's an arse personally, and I think he said it because that's what he actually believes. Previous experiences show us what he thinks of his team mates and where we're heading.

He's a fair weather captain. The worst kind.

See, even Rafa thinks he's a fucking cunt.

I think Rafa's a fucking cunt. Taking Steven Gerrard's, we can't win it words, and saying that he meant, er, we can't win it, is well out of order. Fucking Spanish cunt. Those foreigners are all the fucking same. Cunts.

:telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff: :telloff:

Viva la Rafalution. Keep it up Rafa, about time somebody told the lad to shut the fuck up.

I have been wondering just how effing long it was going to take Rafa to have a word with Gerrard!!

Do any of you seriously believe that Shankly or Paisley or even that twit at Old Trafford would have allowed the media distraction that Gerrard has become to have gotten this far without taking him aside and telling him to just shut the feck up and play football?

I mean phucking really now ..........???

Better late than never I suppose but he should have set him straight weeks ago.

I have been wondering just how effing long it was going to take Rafa to have a word with Gerrard!!

Do any of you seriously believe that Shankly or Paisley or even that twit at Old Trafford would have allowed the media distraction that Gerrard has become to have gotten this far without taking him aside and telling him to just shut the feck up and play football?

He had a go at him after the Olympiakso comments too, so its not the first time Rafa's had to tell wee Stevie off

He had a word after the Olympiakos pre match comments too......

So he's had to tell him the same thing twice?

Is Stevie G thick in the head?

Or is Rafa a tad on the soft side?

Can you see Souness having to repeat himself over something as important as this?

Obviously Souness has other faults but still. I am starting to wonder if Rafa is quite tough enough to manage our club?

Can you see Souness having to repeat himself over something as important as this?

Obviously Souness has other faults but still. I am starting to wonder if Rafa is quite tough enough to manage our club?

It's good management. To publicy bollock him causes a rift, which in turn knocks £10m off his asking price.

He'll have bollocked him behind the scenes and of course he still needs to try and get his head right to try and make him a part of the future at the club.

It's far more likely that Stevie is just so arrogant and hard faced that he actually has the nerve and the gall to do it twice!!

Make no mistakes, rafa takes no shit.

It's good management. To publicy bollock him causes a rift, which in turn knocks £10m off his asking price.

He'll have bollocked him behind the scenes and of course he still needs to try and get his head right to try and make him a part of the future at the club.

Rafa doesn't have to trash him in public, I agree that can be very counter-productive. But I am not too sure if he has really given him a good, old fashioned, in-your-face dressing down in private either!

The amount of times Gerrard has popped off in the press this year and made absolutely stupid, albeit honest, statements which he had no business making as our captain -- even as just a player really! -- just makes me wonder if Rafa has been mano a mano with him.

If he has then it doesn't seem to have been very effective!

Guest Moschops
Rafa doesn't have to trash him in public, I agree that can be very counter-productive. But I am not too sure if he has really given him a good, old fashioned, in-your-face dressing down in private either!

The amount of times Gerrard has popped off in the press this year and made absolutely stupid, albeit honest, statements which he had no business making as our captain -- even as just a player really! -- just makes me wonder if Rafa has been mano a mano with him.

If he has then it doesn't seem to have been very effective!

Benitez's reputation in Valencia wasn't as someone who pussy-footed around players. As has already been said, the problem is that "I'm the fucking man" Gerrard has had his ego inflated to such a degree that I doubt he sees it as anything less than his right to say what the fuck he likes about the club whenever he so chooses. But turning the whole thing into a public Bellamy-esque confrontation would be a disaster.

I think the manager's handled the situation as well as anyone could expect given the obnoxious, demob-happy brat he's been left to handle.