You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards Return Confirmed

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

We are going down tbe multi club route

I hate it. I understand it as you can't get left behind but from a 'good of football' view I think it's a disgraceful system

Yep. Hard to disagree. 

The small clubs will now be scrambling for 'Sugar Daddy' big clubs to ensure their own survival. What a way to go!

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mid 80's, - still good point.

Think the original point stood to be honest. The 70s had a better overall platform.

Kenny himself was almost done, Rushy was off. The remaining strikers were good players but not world beaters. Alan Kennedy and Phil Neal were at the end of their careers. Sammy Lee would be moved on soon enough. 

Kenny signed Beardsley, Barnes, McMahon, Houghton and Aldridge when he came in.

Edit: Remiss not to mention Souness moving on in the summer of 84 too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Meh.

And if it's not Alonso, and I'm now near enough convinced it won't be, the next fella will have to get off to a really good start. I don't envy him.

I don't think we can convince ourselves of anything one way or another mate. The club are handling this with discretion as always. I think it'll probably be Xabi. Even if you remove the emotion from it all, Alonso stacks up in the metrics Edwards is married to anyway. And he wants, overall, to be successful. He's been at Liverpool long enough to understand the need for the holy trilogy to remain in place. 

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Think the original point stood to be honest. The 70s had a better overall platform.

Kenny himself was almost done, Rushy was off. The remaining strikers were good players but not world beaters. Alan Kennedy and Phil Neal were at the end of their careers. Sammy Lee would be moved on soon enough. 

Losing Hansen and not getting an adequate long term replacement killed his team though.   Not forgetting momentous off field circumstances.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

We are going down tbe multi club route

I hate it. I understand it as you can't get left behind but from a 'good of football' view I think it's a disgraceful system

Let’s buy Everton when they go into administration & go down. Turn the sewage farm into a car park, we’d get our money back within a few years. 

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, but still not sure they're all ridiculous mistakes. Moreno much like Clyne, probably showed up some flaws with the data-first approach though as pace doesn't make up for all issues... Markovic probably did the same, eye test was that he was an exciting prospect, loads of pace. Along with Div, seems like that was a focus that summer.

Lallana and Can were both good signings at that point. Balotelli would have always come with huge caveats, but the data will always have shown him to be a potentially world class player on his day, because he was.

Measured gambles seeking to maximise resources, but without the oversight of a quality football mind on the management side of things. Turned out in failure, but also learned some lessons and clearly got better.

I don't think it matters anyway, he won't be doing that job and clearly isn't interested in it. 

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

The multi club thing needs to fuck right off.

Another reason to find something else to do with your weekends.

The trouble with the multi club model is uefa (and FIFA) allowed this to go too far before realising what it was. They should never have let red bull get away with their stuff. But once the horse has bolted, you're fucked. For LFC, I don't see there's really much choice to be honest. And of all the things wrong in football, this is one I'm least arsed about - aside from it's ability to facilitate cheating in multiple ways. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

The fella has got a promotion. Like a billion people before him. He might be great at it. He might not. 

I really.dont know why you felt the need to get all pissy about it and vomit a thesaurus. Other than, well, it being you.

There appears to be some empirical evidence that your hermeneutic skills are working just fine.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mook said:

The multi club thing needs to fuck right off.

Another reason to find something else to do with your weekends.

Modern football is fucking shit, isn’t it? I’ve watched less than a dozen top flight games in the last ten years. However, if I hadn’t have stopped watching years ago, VAR would have finished me off.

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Edwards did well in a certain role. He's now been brought back in another role. Hopefully it will work, but there's no empirical evidence it will. His speciality is precisely what the person he'll hire to be sporting director will now do. If he's not repeatedly overruling whoever gets that role, I'm not sure what he'll be up to that's based on his expertise. 

He did more than sign players.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Losing Hansen and not getting an adequate long term replacement killed his team though.   Not forgetting momentous off field circumstances.

kenny signed no one of quality after oct 87 in fact letting Aldo go was a huge mistake and you can thank marina for that 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Wasn't there something about most of the press turning up to Rush return press conference thinking it was Gary Pallister?

Would have made a massive difference that to the team long term. Though had Mark Wright been fit more often he would have been a really good player for us

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The trouble with the multi club model is uefa (and FIFA) allowed this to go too far before realising what it was. They should never have let red bull get away with their stuff. But once the horse has bolted, you're fucked. For LFC, I don't see there's really much choice to be honest. And of all the things wrong in football, this is one I'm least arsed about - aside from it's ability to facilitate cheating in multiple ways. 

I hears people putting clubs forward. Bordeaux being one. A 6 time French champion becoming a feeder club who's aim is to produce talent for us would be disgraceful. Had yanks arguing with me that's its overdue and they have the minor leagues. Everything wrong with football imo

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Edit: Remiss not to mention Souness moving on in the summer of 84 too. 

Yea, on the field we may be closer to when Dalglish took over - bunch of vets who are used to winning undergoing a transition to stay on top. Probably a better core of players here now but we still will need to add/integrate a couple more big time players.

As a whole though without a doubt a good point. Everything off the field is not comparable.

38 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

?

In his book, Aldo describes a tiff with Marina and her saying "you won't be here for much longer anyway" and that coming to pass. I don't think he necessarily think she was behind him leaving, just that she had insight into Aldo not being in the plans with Rushy coming back. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I hears people putting clubs forward. Bordeaux being one. A 6 time French champion becoming a feeder club who's aim is to produce talent for us would be disgraceful. Had yanks arguing with me that's its overdue and they have the minor leagues. Everything wrong with football imo

I completely agree it's not a good thing for the game. But now they've let it happen, it's happening. Maybe some some help, guidance and money Bordeaux could become french champions again. Now that brings in a whole load of different problems, as with the red bull clubs in Europe. And even more weirdly, redbird have 10% or whatever in fsg, what if they threw their hand in with fsg and then all their clubs, including Milan end up in the fsg house? It's all a nightmare for the game down the line. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I completely agree it's not a good thing for the game. But now they've let it happen, it's happening. Maybe some some help, guidance and money Bordeaux could become french champions again. Now that brings in a whole load of different problems, as with the red bull clubs in Europe. And even more weirdly, redbird have 10% or whatever in fsg, what if they threw their hand in with fsg and then all their clubs, including Milan end up in the fsg house? It's all a nightmare for the game down the line. 

I can guarantee it will only become a problem for the integrity of the game once we start to do it.

• Upvote 2