You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where's our famous atmosphere....

an tha

16 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It was galling to see so called "supporters" leave before the end of the Atalanta game.

I kept my stream on until the final whistle.

#topred

Stood up and clapped flashscores at the final whistle. 

YWNA.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sir roger said:

The last game I went to I got talking to a nice lad from Malaysia in the row in front who was at his first game, but when I stood up to sing YNWA he recorded me for the whole version, which was a tad unnerving.

I imagine I am now as big as Robbie Williams on Youtube in KL and would struggle to get out of the airport for fawning admirers.

I was at the game on Thursday and it's rare I get to go these days.

Got talking to a lovely Irish family who had got up at 2 in the morning to get a coach from Kerry to Dublin. They were then going straight back after the game to get a coach to Holyhead and back to Kerry. The kids were so excited and had learned a lot of the songs. The Dad told me they sacrificed a holiday abroad to come over because the kids were so mad for seeing a game and the travel companies over there are charging an arm and a leg. It's actually disgusting. It sounds like the company they went with get a lot of tickets from the club because about five coaches went over - must suit the club as tourists will spend in the club shop. You would have to respect the dedication of a lot of our foreign fans or those coming from places like Southampton, but the club seem to be marketing it as an "experience", which will impact the atmosphere, as you're more likely to get to understand the match day rituals by being around local Reds. If I ended up at a Boca game, I'm sure the local fans would think I'm a complete twat.

I do feel it is like a Jurgen pilgrimage right now. Even I was thinking will it be the last time I see him managing us live.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I do feel it is like a Jurgen pilgrimage right now. Even I was thinking will it be the last time I see him managing us live.

Shit, penny has just dropped, I was at the Atalanta game, and that's likely to be my last game with Klopp in charge, unless some stray tickets manage to fall into my hands. 

A lot of the folk in the section of the main stand where I sit, don't even raise their scarves and sing YNWA.

They just sort of stand and look. I've never heard them belt a song out.

34 minutes ago, Jennings said:

A lot of the folk in the section of the main stand where I sit, don't even raise their scarves and sing YNWA.

They just sort of stand and look. I've never heard them belt a song out.

That was pretty much the kop through the eighties.

Do people honestly think that if camera phones and social media existed in the 70’s and 80’s that people would not use them at the game?

If so, you are fuckin deluded, they did not use them cause they did not exist. 

You don’t see many of these at the games these days.

IMG_0589.jpeg

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Code said:

Do people honestly think that if camera phones and social media existed in the 70’s and 80’s that people would not use them at the game?

IMG_0589.jpeg

Rico would argue that you do see trannies everywhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Code said:

IMG_0589.jpeg

In the old days, plenty of people had trannies. That was how we were checking up on other scores.

You're point is?

9 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

In the old days, plenty of people had trannies. That was how we were checking up on other scores.

You're point is?

That is exactly my point. 

2 hours ago, Code said:

IMG_0589.jpeg

Radio joe

3 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

And your point is?

That turning on a radio the size of a fridge to check on the scores of your rivals is the same as spending 90 mins taking selfies and filming the game, you are actually watching?

They should bring back 1970s style Football violence specifically for people who film themselves and take selfies during the game.

A bottle over the head or dart in the eye would soon put a stop to that narcissistic shite.

• Haha 1

Far too many people in anny rd upper today strolling up steps 5 mins into 2nd half with armfuls of fucking hotdogs and coke...going the match for so many now is like going the pictures - sit back quietly in your seat with your hotdog, popcorn and coke and be entertained

Far too many people sitting in silence as songs started.

And frankly people may not like this and i will probably do a bad job of explaining it (i can do it verbally when discussing this with my mates but can't seem to find the words when it comes to writing it down) but also just not enough what i would describe as traditional (for want of a better phrase) Liverpool suppprters, and yeah this sounds horrible probably, but you can just tell by looking around that you aren't gonna get a rendition of "Poor Scouser Tommy" or "Every Other Saturday" or "Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly" from so many.....

Yeah maybe those songs are old and belong in another era, but that is sort of the point sadly - the traditions have been lost, the people who created them displaced/replaced and the attitude behind those traditions and the behaviours changed in the ground beyond recognition and as a result 'our famous atmosphere' mostly only exists in  another bygone era.

The people who would likely be the modern day equivalent of those from that era and who would most likely keep those traditions alive/create new ones to sit alongside them are now a much smaller percentage of our crowd and are spread thinly across all four corners...

The people responsible for creating the atmosphere in the ground are overall a very different set of people, from a much, much more diverse set of demographics and who exist in an extremely different world and have very different behaviours to those who came before them.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Far too many people in anny rd upper today strolling up steps 5 mins into 2nd half with armfuls of fucking hotdogs and coke...going the match for so many now is like going the pictures - sit back quietly in your sest with your hotdog, popcorn and coke and be entertained

Far too many people sitting in silence as songs started.

And frankly people may not like this and i will probably do a bad job of explaining it (i can do it verbally when discussing this with my mates but can't seem to find the words when it comes to writing it down) but also just not enough what i would describe as traditional (for want of a better phrase) Liverpool suppprters, and yeah this sounds horrible probably, but you can just tell by looking around that you aren't gonna get a rendition of "Poor Scouser Tommy" or "Every Other Saturday" or "Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly" from so many.....

Yeah maybe those songs are old and belong in another era, but that is sort of the point sadly - the traditions have been lost, the people who created them displaced/replaced and the attitude behind those traditions and the behaviours changed in the ground beyond recognition and as a result 'our famous atmosphere' mostly only exists in a another bygone era.

The people responsible for creating the atmosphere in the ground are overall a very different set of people, from a much, much more diverse set of demographics and who exist in an extremely different world and have very different behaviours to those who came before them.

It's spot on.

Without getting into a wools v scousers debate upto,I'd say the mid 90s,the ground was a majority of localish working class fans and out of towers who knew what it was like to support the team 

Its now filled with people from all over the globe who treat it as a day out and probably spend about 5 grand in liverworld each visit.

Making the ground bigger and filling it with that 2nd group certainly hasn't helped. 

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

It's spot on.

Without getting into a wools v scousers debate upto,I'd say the mid 90s,the ground was a majority of localish working class fans and out of towers who knew what it was like to support the team 

Its now filled with people from all over the globe who treat it as a day out and probably spend about 5 grand in liverworld each visit.

Making the ground bigger and filling it with that 2nd group certainly hasn't helped. 

You've summarised it better than i did!

I added this inbetween my original post and your reply.

The people who would likely be the modern day equivalent of those from that era and who would most likely keep those traditions alive/create new ones to sit alongside them are now a much smaller percentage of our crowd and are spread thinly across all four corners...

• Upvote 1