You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky Sports Footy Coverage

Section_31

I’m genuinely grateful for the coverage I get in the US. I used to buy a Now TV pass when was home as I felt like I was missing out without the Sky Sports coverage. Now I choose to just VPN into my TV provider and watch the NBC/Peacock coverage. 

The Robbies Mustoe and Earle, Tim Howard and Danny Heckingbottom don’t carry the name value, but they’re much better for just straight analysis of what they see without pushing a narrative all the time. 

Only problem now is they’ve started employing utter ‘tards like Phil Neville and Ste Warnock – the latter being the fucking absolute worst pundit of all time. 

• Upvote 2

We're all old and this is just how it is now. Everything media related is shite now.

It's the same with newspapers and websites, it's all clickbait headlines and news stories generated from stupid tweets made by fans or ex players. Sky are doing what appeals to the wider audience and what is most profitable to them.

Talksport is the same. I had it on for 15 mins in the car yesterday and there was some really good discussion on the Van Dijk / Keane thing from Souness and Jordan, but then you've got that absolute helmet Jim White stirring it up with loaded questions and completely distorting things to generate controversy. If clickbait had a voice, it'd sound exactly like Jim White.

This is the era we live in now though. Lowest common denominator bollocks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

We're all old and this is just how it is now. Everything media related is shite now.

It's the same with newspapers and websites, it's all clickbait headlines and news stories generated from stupid tweets made by fans or ex players. Sky are doing what appeals to the wider audience and what is most profitable to them.

Talksport is the same. I had it on for 15 mins in the car yesterday and there was some really good discussion on the Van Dijk / Keane thing from Souness and Jordan, but then you've got that absolute helmet Jim White stirring it up with loaded questions and completely distorting things to generate controversy. If clickbait had a voice, it'd sound exactly like Jim White.

Fancy living in a media world where Page 3 would be a cultural step up!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get into these:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/nottingham-forest-sky-sports-gary-neville-b2544667.html

Nottingham Forest have launched legal action against Sky Sports for their coverage of a social media post, but the owner of the club has called out Sky Sports for not telling the truth.

In April, the club publicly questioned the appointment of referee Stuart Atwell, accusing him of being a Luton fan and calling into question his integrity, which sparked a strong backlash from sections of the football media.

Forest took offence after they had three penalty appeals turned down by on-field referee Anthony Taylor during a 2-0 defeat against Everton on April 21, with Atwell on VAR upholding the decisions.

Forest said on X: “Three extremely poor decisions - three penalties not given - which we simply cannot accept.

Neville described the club’s social media post in April as like a “mafia gang statement”, and Nottingham Forest were reportedly drafting a letter to the broadcaster over those comments.

Neville continued: “ I mean, honestly, what the hell are they playing at? It’s like a petulant child, it’s embarrassing.”

Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis stood by the club statement and criticised the broadcaster, telling the Mail: “I can bring you 100 examples of times they (Sky Sports and pundits) exaggerated, didn’t say the truth and humiliated people.

“Neville is subject to FA rules too, surely – he is a director of Salford FC. His comment about the club was outrageous, but the FA have done nothing.

“I need to be careful - because our lawyers have already been in contact with Sky regarding Neville and this is not over yet. The comments and words he used were inappropriate, didn’t correspond with reality and harmed people.”

Clattenburg took up a consulting role with the Midlands club to help players and staff understand VAR and how decisions were made, but resigned from his role on Friday after a number of controversies surrounding the club and referees.

Sky Sports removed an article from their website on Friday night where Gary Nevilleappeared to backtrack on comments aimed at Mark Clattenburg, and calling for his resignation, the Mail has also reported.

On 19/12/2023 at 18:59, dave u said:

Absolutely, online newspapers filled with shite about ticktockers, instagrammers and influencers. So many fuckers also just believing what they read as the absolute truth. 

I hate the way Nevile always refers to his former employer as "Manchester United Football Club".  Never says Liverpool Football Club, Arsenal Football Club etc.  And the way he say's it as if they are superior to any other club.  

• Upvote 1

I used to religiously watch the build up and aftermath on pretty much any match as the analysis was always interesting. Nowadays it is an embarrassment.

Like a few have said here, it's purely done for a reaction from the public and raise discussions on social media and the "reactions" are so scripted and over the top so they can get a few clips to go viral. Proper pisses me off.

I listened to Sturridge the other day and as much as I loved him as a player, he's such a dick in real life with how he talks and acts on camera.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

I hate the way Nevile always refers to his former employer as "Manchester United Football Club".  Never says Liverpool Football Club, Arsenal Football Club etc.  And the way he say's it as if they are superior to any other club.  

The same club who removed 'Football Club' from their name to have a better appeal to shareholders.

• Upvote 1

The worst Neville-ism is his incessant use of "at this moment in time." Just say "now" you wannabe Mr. Monopoly cunt.

Seriously, is that turn of phrase a regional thing, or is it just his way of trying to appear more verbose?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Those were the days.

I think I'm older than you, Sec, but honestly, just hearing and seeing this made me cringe.  I hated it then, and I hate it now.

"Super Sunday" was just so toe-curling as a title.  

I know it's kind of entered into the lexicon now, but these Americanisations of our national sport made me want to put my foot through the telly.

1 hour ago, Em City said:

The worst Neville-ism is his incessant use of "at this moment in time." Just say "now" you wannabe Mr. Monopoly cunt.

Seriously, is that turn of phrase a regional thing, or is it just his way of trying to appear more verbose?

Its his gasping and Oooooh that gets on my nerves.

• Upvote 2

The coverage on Monday Night Football that Carragher does is as good as any coverage as you'll get for analysis. The problem is the other shit that him and Neville which is the complete opposite. Especially when they're on Liverpool and United games. 

1 hour ago, razor said:

I think I'm older than you, Sec, but honestly, just hearing and seeing this made me cringe.  I hated it then, and I hate it now.

"Super Sunday" was just so toe-curling as a title.  

I know it's kind of entered into the lexicon now, but these Americanisations of our national sport made me want to put my foot through the telly.

Can I do it first?

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I genuinely can't believe there's a 'Gary Neville podcast'. Who the fuck would do that to themselves. And why does he wear a fucking parka even when it's hot? 

gary neville,has,and always will be, a scruffy manc gobshite.

remember him making up that fairy tale about his car getting overturned at salford quays??

• Upvote 3