You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I’ve heard this said a few times now, but couldn’t find anything about it.  What’s the story?

There's an extra place for the best two performing leagues in European competitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/10/champions-league-uefa-new-coefficient-plan-for-places-country-success

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Tell you what if we add this fella and Thuram we are looking at a fair few of big units in the squad. 

I’m not that impressed with Thuram tbf THL. I don’t think he’s what we need right now as he’s very raw and far too inexperienced at this level. Do you think he would give us the edge when we go to the likes of city? 

Our rivals look like they’re all strengthening the position we’re desperate to fill with quality experienced players that’s leaving the cupboard bare for us.

I do think mcallisters a great signing btw but I’d like him to be the rawest (is that a word) of our signings 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I do think mcallisters a great signing btw but I’d like him to be the rawest (is that a word) of our signings 

Oooh, that is a tall order.

Who do you see on our radar that has more experience than him at the top level.

I mean, he was the guy on the team everyone's been crowing about then was instrumental in winning a World Cup.

6 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

There's an extra place for the best two performing leagues in European competitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/10/champions-league-uefa-new-coefficient-plan-for-places-country-success

The way I read that is we have to rely on English teams who have qualified to peform. So we have to rely on Arsenal, United and Newcastle to do ok and City will obviously peform. Arteta has never managed in the Champions League and Howe has he even managed in Europe yet!. Not sure it's a guarantee. 

Controversial plans to allow teams to enter the Champions League based on historical performance in Europe have been abandoned. Instead, a place will be given to each of the two countries whose clubs collectively performed best in Europe the previous year and will be awarded on league position.

If the rules were applied this season, the extra places would go to clubs from England and the Netherlands. In four of the past five seasons – and six of the past 10 – England would have received one of the places

In order for him to compete for the title next season with this team would require these factors:

1. The forwards would all gel seamlessly (possible)

2. The defence stops leaking (doubtful)

3. The top 13-15 players remain injury free and robust (extremely doubtful)

4. Most of the squad perform at peak (doubtful)

Let’s be honest that’s a big wish list. We have good players but some of them are past their best. We have good defenders but some are past their best. We have good players but they can’t be relied on to stay fit. We have some young talent but they haven’t kicked on.

In short we need an influx in legs, energy and talent to both motivate and reinvigorate the squad/club.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It’s perfectly rationale. 

Fans are fed up and it’s reaching boiling point and they are starting to turn on the local journos.

Someone told me before in work that klarna tweeted at John Henry about that tv Leipzig lad. If true that’s tweet of the year.

FB_IMG_1688061269563.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Red74 said:

You'd like our other signings to be over 24 with more than four years Premier League experience and more than one World Cup winner's medal?

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

1. The forwards would all gel seamlessly (possible)

2. The defence stops leaking (doubtful)

3. The top 13-15 players remain injury free and robust (extremely doubtful)

4. Most of the squad perform at peak (doubtful)

Two of those 4 fall squarely on any manager's shoulders.

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You'd like our other signings to be over 24 with more than four years Premier League experience and more than one World Cup winner's medal?

I’d just like us to bring in 3 more who are better than what we’ve already got here.

Just read a bit more detail on the Champions League places. The performance is based on ALL the Uefa competitions so would include Europa and the Conference -  Emery will take that one seriously and our adventures in the Europa will be counted.

They calculate the coefficient and divide it by all the eight English teams that have qualified for Europe this season to determine the following seasons allocation. 

47 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Bellingham was quite clearly first choice. But then we got priced out of it. 

Not trying to be a twat mate but what evidence is there we got ‘priced out’. 

The final fee was lower than had been reported by the red journo’s for the last 12 months. 

Were we priced out or too cheap? 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We've got a big problem if Caceido goes Chelsea.  He'll transform them very quickly into a dangerous team again.  

That'll be City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and us for top 4 places.  

I wonder if we might convince West Ham to spend some of their new riches on Henderson.

We should have just have just signed Alexis and Caicedo. Agree that Caicedo can transform a team. He's a near to a definite success as we could realistically sign.