You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

23 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The only way they could own 36% is via a leveraged buy out?

Shirely, that cant be right? 

It was based on them buying a majority stake cause apparently they have less money than FSG. 

Tbh I was just going on what was being said about them, it was probably crap. Based on the responses to the above tweet though I think I would rather stick with FSG! 

Personally not keen on Qatar or Saudi and a joint effort sounds like it would go tits up very quickly and I have yet to see anyone say anything positive about Harris and Glitzer (if they really are the ones interested). 

So, based on all that, without knowing absolutely anything about them, I am preferring the German bid!

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

It was based on them buying a majority stake cause apparently they have less money than FSG. 

Tbh I was just going on what was being said about them, it was probably crap. Based on the responses to the above tweet though I think I would rather stick with FSG! 

Personally not keen on Qatar or Saudi and a joint effort sounds like it would go tits up very quickly and I have yet to see anyone say anything positive about Harris and Glitzer (if they really are the ones interested). 

So, based on all that, without knowing absolutely anything about them, I am preferring the German bid!

I’m not reading anything into until they announce  plans to sell their Palace shares.

Also, we apparently have “many suitors”. This bid might just be one of many,

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not reading anything into until they announce  plans to sell their Palace shares.

Also, we apparently have “many suitors”. This bid might just be one of many,

Yeah, I am sure you are right. 

Just basing it on everything I have read I would prefer it not to be either of these.

A joint Saudi/Qatar bid just reeks of Hicks/Gillett. Two separate entities joining forces, both in it for reasons that do not benefit the club, background sniping with the club caught in the middle, and one more belligerent than the other. Also, where the Middle East countries have been careful is to select non-elite clubs that they can sportwash to an inflated level. Success-starved fans of these clubs are so grateful they simply turn a blind eye to the appalling manner the riches they've come into were earned. Middle East regimes have never built new stadiums for these clubs, and they've never seriously gone after the 'elite' clubs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

A joint Saudi/Qatar bid just reeks of Hicks/Gillett. Two separate entities joining forces, both in it for reasons that do not benefit the club, background sniping with the club caught in the middle, and one more belligerent than the other. Also, where the Middle East countries have been careful is to select non-elite clubs that they can sportwash to an inflated level. Success-starved fans of these clubs are so grateful they simply turn a blind eye to the appalling manner the riches they've come into were earned. Middle East regimes have never built new stadiums for these clubs, and they've never seriously gone after the 'elite' clubs.

Unfortunately I think that there are plenty of fans in our fanbase that would turn a blind eye to compete. Seeing FSG perceived underinvestment as the reason we have not beaten City I.e. success starved 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HBenn said:

Unfortunately I think that there are plenty of fans in our fanbase that would turn a blind eye to compete. Seeing FSG perceived underinvestment as the reason we have not beaten City I.e. success starved 

Very true . City and Barcodes fans are hardly crying foul at the blank cheques they have been given

Liverpool: Finance expert gives verdict on club takeover latest

Photo of Mark MurphyMark Murphy|20:40 14/12/22

Football finance expert Dr Dan Plumley has given his say on the latest development in regard to Liverpool’s potential takeover following recent reports coming out of the United States.

A statement was released in November by the owners that the club was up for sale, and there reports in FSG-owned outlet The Boston Globe (via the Liverpool Echo) have claimed that owner John Henry is more likely to only partially sell his stake.

Speaking with Football Insider, Plumley claims he ‘always thought’ the owners of Liverpool wouldn’t go for a full sale and would look for partial investment.

Plumley stated: “I’ve always thought FSG were looking for partial investment rather than a full sale.

“The merits are that it enables FSG to remain in control if they don’t sell a majority stake. That then allows you to bring other investors in and reduces the risk across their portfolio.

“There are a lot of benefits of this model. It brings in new ideas and new people while giving you a way to carry on growing the club.

“It still might take a little bit of time. I don’t think partial investment will speed up the process much because you still have to have that negotiation.”

TIF Thoughts on Plumley’s comments…

We believe that it’s possible that FSG may have changed their minds about wanting to sell the club outright. After all, they do generate a lot of money.

Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world, let alone the UK. This is a club that’s finished in the top four in the last six seasons and play in the Champions League regularly.

Despite the uncertainty around the sale of the club, the previously mentioned statement released by the owners stated they were still committed to the Reds.

This will be a big relief, as Liverpool may need to invest in January. Both Diogo Jota and Luis Diaz are sidelined with injuries and are out until early next year. Their next plan of action could make or break their league campaign.

Jurgen Klopp’s side have some catching up to do in the second half of the season, as they currently sit in sixth place in the Premier League on 22 points – 15 points behind league leaders Arsenal.

And perhaps one last push from the owners before they sell up – even if only partially – will see the Reds’ fortunes turn around, and in turn, boost the chances of a sale FSG are happy with.

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Another departure. Could be something, could be nothing…

6E83A1F2-0EF4-4D60-A953-C1113E6854AA.png

Like you say, could be something, could be nothing. Could be rats jumping from a sinking ship or just personal reasons. Struggling to see why a takeover would cause this.