You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

21 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

We'll have to disagree then. My opinion is if you have around 70% of the ball and don't win that's on you. I understand we've seen it lots of times where teams smash and grab but my rough guess would be that's 30% of the time, at best.

Of course it doesn't happen often. It's when a team who should lose devises a plan to give them the best chance of not losing. And sometimes it's because the team who does all the attacking is poor or poor in front of goal. Or sometimes it's because the team who do all the defending get 3 chances and score them all. I think the latter increases without Ali against Brentford specifically.

I'm not saying Ali being missing loses us the game. I'm saying he's a big miss because I think it dramatically changes their chances of scoring, because it weakens us where they have their strongest chance to score. I would sooner lose Ali for example as we did last week against Burnley (where we still lost a set piece goal to a team who aren't very good at set pieces) or forest in a couple of weeks, than I would either of our next 2 games. Outside of arsenal and man city, if I was to pick 2 teams I wouldn't want Ali missing for, it would be Luton and Brentford.

1 hour ago, Smell The Glove said:

No need for him to play against Luton either really. If there is one player you can do without this week when it's confirmed Kelleher plays the final it's Ali. Would I prefer Ali tomorrow and Luton? Yes. Would I lose sleep over it? No. 

At home to Luton whilst still a miss yeah not too much of a worry - away at a ground we haven't yet won on in our 2 visits and have shipped 6 goals at (albeit with him in goal) i'd much rather he was in goal.

We don't know yet about the severity of the injury of course but that date in 3 weeks with the cheats is looming large.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Of course it doesn't happen often. It's when a team who should lose devises a plan to give them the best chance of not losing. And sometimes it's because the team who does all the attacking is poor or poor in front of goal. Or sometimes it's because the team who do all the defending get 3 chances and score them all. I think the latter increases without Ali against Brentford specifically.

I'm not saying Ali being missing loses us the game. I'm saying he's a big miss because I think it dramatically changes their chances of scoring, because it weakens us where they have their strongest chance to score. I would sooner lose Ali for example as we did last week against Burnley (where we still lost a set piece goal to a team who aren't very good at set pieces) or forest in a couple of weeks, than I would either of our next 2 games. Outside of arsenal and man city, if I was to pick 2 teams I wouldn't want Ali missing for, it would be Luton and Brentford.

I don't argue with any of that. I also know I've seen us not win with 70% possession numerous times. It won't be because of who is in goal why we don't get 3pts though. It will be ,because our forward play is not good enough. Tomorrow however I think we'll  have enough. Just. 

25 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I don't argue with any of that. I also know I've seen us not win with 70% possession numerous times. It won't be because of who is in goal why we don't get 3pts though. It will be ,because our forward play is not good enough. Tomorrow however I think we'll  have enough. Just. 

I wasn't as confident as you about tomorrow before Ali was injured! 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I love Jota but he gets a big injury nearly every season - if this is another one, there has to be sone doubt over his future here IMHO sadly.

Yeah he's always getting long-term injuries. It's a shame as he's superb. A fit Jota is one of the best forwards in the league.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, an tha said:

I love Jota but he gets a big injury nearly every season - if this is another one, there has to be sone doubt over his future here IMHO sadly.

To be fair, someone fell onto his knee from a height, not much he could do about it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

To be fair, someone fell onto his knee from a height, not much he could do about it. 

Injuries are mostly unlucky, but for whatever reason he just seems to manage to get a bad one pretty much every season. Think he has had one 3 out of 4 seasons with us.

Massive shame as he is boss.

He would have been crucial in run in - he is fresh only played 1,000 mins in league this season - barely 11 games worth of mins, so no issues with tiredness, but sadly yet again he looks like he faces a long spell on the sidelines.

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

If we are saying the league is the be all and end all then it possibly wouldn't be so bad. Luton, Southampton but we are in a final. 

Alisson

TAA

Matip

Szoboslzai

Jones

Jota

Nunez

Arguably 7 starters out.

Very few squads could cope with that.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Alisson

TAA

Matip

Szoboslzai

Jones

Jota

Nunez

Arguably 7 starters out.

Very few squads could cope with that.

Agreed. We could maybe have coped but we have a cup to win. Worst case scenario for Wembley could be

Kelleher 

Bradley

Konate

Virgil

Robbo

Endo

Macca

Gravenberch/Harvey 

Mo

Gakpo

Diaz

3 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Agreed. We could maybe have coped but we have a cup to win. Worst case scenario for Wembley could be

Kelleher 

Bradley

Konate

Virgil

Robbo

Endo

Macca

Gravenberch/Harvey 

Mo

Gakpo

Diaz

Looks about it - another week to navigate though - bound to be someone else who goes down during it.

14 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Kelleher 

Bradley

Konate

Virgil

Robbo

Endo

Macca

Gravenberch/Harvey 

Mo

Gakpo

Diaz

Bench:

Gomez

Spearing

Tsimikas

Quansah

Kid from Pinehurst Primary School can play midfield.

The u21 goalkeeper

The u18 goalkeeper

LFC.com competition winner

The person 1 after the last successful waiting list number for final tickets

I'm going to out on a limb say appears much worse right now and it will in a few days. I reckon Jones will be fine, on the bench during the week, Diogo is definitely not ACL, could be a fracture of the leg but I'm hopeful it will just a sprain. Darwin probably plays on in normal circumstances, the fact we had made 2 subs meant we needed to make one at half time if there was any doubt. At least the timing is good, Dom and Mo back will ease the pain.

• Upvote 1