You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Why the fuck would a manager not know why a player is out? Has he fell out with the medical team?

Some of that stuff is absolutely mind boggling to me.

Yeah, at first I thought it was due to lack of a doctor that took ages for us to appoint. But it seems to be continuing with Klopp having no clue about when players are due back to training etc.

Madness.

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Without doubt we have the shittest medical team and setup in the league. Both Trent and Szoboslai and Thiago all immediately injured upon taking the field.

How does that happen?

Lets not mention the other young lad and Diaz last year.

Nobody is telling Klopp.

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

A bit worrying that within the past two weeks both Trent and Dom appear to have been played too quickly and significantly lengthened their absences.

True enough. They can’t win though - we’d loads of medical experts on this thread in the past saying we’re too risk averse in terms of timeframes in getting players back.

I think we’ll miss Dom a lot more than Trent.

On 14/02/2024 at 12:59, Mook said:

Why the fuck would a manager not know why a player is out? Has he fell out with the medical team?

Some of that stuff is absolutely mind boggling to me.

It seems last week when the flu started going round the players and staff they made a call to tell the players not to come to training and if they weren't fit to play on Saturday, to not turn up. It seems Ali had trained on Thursday, got the flu and basically phoned in sick on Saturday. So while klopp suspected it was the flu, he wasn't sure. Hence why there were reports he was out ill, yet klopp said he didn't know what was wrong. 

I highly doubt Klopp thought Alisson just didn't show up.

From the "it's not an issue and it is so not an issue I am going to speak about" category today:

"As long as I am here, we never forced anybody back and will never do," said Klopp.

"Very unlucky and unfortunate, but it can happen," added Klopp, speaking before his side's game at Brentford on Saturday (12:30 GMT).

"It says nothing about the quality of anybody. The world we are living in [people say], 'the medical department, I'm not sure about that'. It's nothing to do with that.

"We have to bring the boys back as soon possible but never sooner than they are ready."

He added: "It's a super intense period."

200w.gif ?cid=6c09b952z751zbvws6w3iy5036ndb55mx5s5k33gnzxfvbsf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w. gif&ct=g

Latest:

Jürgen Klopp today offered the latest fitness update on his Liverpool squad, with Mohamed Salah set to return to action at Brentford on Saturday.

The forward resumed full training at the AXA Training Centre this week and will come into contention for the Premier League clash, with Alisson Becker, Conor Bradley, Joe Gomez and Ibrahima Konate also returning to the squad.

The Reds will, however, be without the services of Thiago Alcantara, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Dominik Szoboszlai at Gtech Community Stadium.

Klopp told his pre-match press conference: "Mo is back in full training, [so] that brings him automatically in contention of course.

"Ibou is not suspended anymore, Joey is fit again, Conor is back, Ali is back, so that's all positive. Thiago, no. And Trent not [available], that's true."

Asked specifically on Alexander-Arnold and Szoboszlai's fitness, and whether they will be ruled out of the Carabao Cup final with Chelsea on February 25, the manager added: "How serious? Yeah, again, it's a super-intense period.

"People think about the final, which is fine absolutely, but before the final we have Brentford and Luton and I didn't think for a second about the final yet. 'He can't play the final?!' Yes, that's one game but we have before then there are two games, which is as bad that they cannot play.

"I think with Dom it will be around that time, we will see how it exactly works. And with Trent, a week or two longer. It is not great but it was not to avoid, actually, that it happened.

"I would say, I'm not sure Dom has a chance for the final but maybe, and Trent will probably be after."

Elsewhere, Klopp detailed the planning that goes into a player returning to action following injury, insisting that no-one is ever brought back ahead of schedule.

"I think we have to clarify a little bit... I was not really aware of it but I got now, somehow, the news as well there was a discussion we might have forced Trent back because two setbacks, that's true and it's really unfortunate then, nobody wants that and nobody is doing that," he said.

"But different cases, different scenarios and as long as I'm here we never forced anyone back and we will never do. We work in a high-performance area; it's like, if you [the journalist] have the same injury, you are fit after three days but the guys after four weeks because they have to sprint and stuff like this, whatever injury it is.

"It's always about that and we always try to catch the earliest moment. Unfortunately when we catch that moment, nobody speaks about it. Like with Macca, now recently with Diogo. That's a job we have to do.

"That’s pretty much all, but the last decision is then always by the player. If you would always listen only to the player then the players would play after two weeks and then it's a real problem.

"The boys were, in the moment when they played, fit but the situation told us differently because it happened again. We will never know if it would have happened anyway or it just happened because there was something before. We will never know.

"Very, very unlucky and unfortunate, absolutely. I had it a couple of times in my time as a manager, not only here. It can happen, it's not great but nothing else. It says nothing about the quality of anybody; the world we are living in [people may say], 'The medical department... I am not sure about that...' It has nothing to do with that.

"We have to bring the boys back as soon as possible but never sooner than they are ready, from our point of view."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I highly doubt Klopp thought Alisson just didn't show up.

From the "it's not an issue and it is so not an issue I am going to speak about" category today:

"As long as I am here, we never forced anybody back and will never do," said Klopp.

"Very unlucky and unfortunate, but it can happen," added Klopp, speaking before his side's game at Brentford on Saturday (12:30 GMT).

"It says nothing about the quality of anybody. The world we are living in [people say], 'the medical department, I'm not sure about that'. It's nothing to do with that.

"We have to bring the boys back as soon possible but never sooner than they are ready."

He added: "It's a super intense period."

200w.gif ?cid=6c09b952z751zbvws6w3iy5036ndb55mx5s5k33gnzxfvbsf&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w. gif&ct=g

If you are referring to to my post with regards Ali, I never said he just didn't turn up. They were all told to go home, try and stay out of the way of the flu, come back for the match 2 days later if they were well. Ali wasn't well, so phone in to whoever the fuck he phones in to, which isn't klopp. 

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If you are referring to to my post with regards Ali, I never said he just didn't turn up. They were all told to go home, try and stay out of the way of the flu, come back for the match 2 days later if they were well. Ali wasn't well, so phone in to whoever the fuck he phones in to, which isn't klopp. 

I know - that is a glaring example of what appears to be ongoing communication problems. 

The manager - after the game still had no idea where his #1 was or why - that's what it looks like. We can both assume he knew that it was flu - but he does not say that, which would have been easy enough to do.

That is rank amateur shit no matter who you want to pass the buck to.

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I know - that is a glaring example of what appears to be ongoing communication problems. 

The manager - after the game still had no idea where his #1 was or why - that's what it looks like. We can both assume he knew that it was flu - but he does not say that, which would have been easy enough to do.

I don't think it's any buck passing. It's just klopp was dealing with the bits he could influence. Ali wasn't there because he was ill, but klopp didn't need to know why he wasn't there, he just had to get on and win the game. They were all getting time off after the game and the squad didn't come back till Tuesday, so I don't suppose he cares till Tuesday. The medical team would do whatever was needed, klopp doesn't need to do that, any more than he needs to know what Ali is eating. As long as he's back for the next training session, it's just no big deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

When you do your conjecture, does it ever come with a positive slant?