You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jude Bellingham Welcome to Liverpool…

2 hours ago, Special K said:

19 year old Gerrard was miles above 19 year old Bellingham. There's just no comparison

Don't think that's true.  

But it was a different game back then.  Gerrard would clatter Bellingham into tomorrow no doubt, but these days he'd be suspended half the season.  

Gerratd would also be injured a lot, too many games at high tempo.  Bellingham is a fabulous athlete.  

8 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't think that's true.  

But it was a different game back then.  Gerrard would clatter Bellingham into tomorrow no doubt, but these days he'd be suspended half the season.  

Gerratd would also be injured a lot, too many games at high tempo.  Bellingham is a fabulous athlete.  

Houllier managed his game time very well so that by the time he was 21-22 he was able to play 3 times a week without fear of injury/injuries later on

3 hours ago, Special K said:

19 year old Gerrard was miles above 19 year old Bellingham. There's just no comparison

I'm not sure about that. At 19 Gerrard was nervy and struggling with his back/growing pains. It wasn't until he turned 20 that we really started to see the beginning of how good Gerrard was.

The 19 year old Bellingham is better from what I've seen.

By the time Gerrard turned 20 he'd played 44 games for Liverpool and 0 for England.

Bellingham has played 156 times for Dormund and Birmingham and 22 for England, and he still has over half a season to go.

I think we would love Bellingham here, while acknowledging his signing alone is unlikely to fix the everything.  

I'd consider selling Fabinho and Thiago if we can get Amrabat and someone else.  I just think Fabinho's cycle for us coming to an end, and Thiago is amazing but his body is crumbling. And of course, that's in addition to the usual pitiful return we get from Ox and Keita, and increasingly Jones. 

I think we just retain Henderson and build a new midfield.  

15 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'd consider selling Fabinho and Thiago if we can get Amrabat and someone else.  I just think Fabinho's cycle for us coming to an end, and Thiago is amazing but his body is crumbling. And of course, that's in addition to the usual pitiful return we get from Ox and Keita, and increasingly Jones. 

I think we just retain Henderson and build a new midfield.  

Keita and Ox are leaving on a free in the summer, Milner probably too.

If we sell Thiago and Fabinho, that's five senior midfielders out in one window which Is far too many! 

50 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Keita and Ox are leaving on a free in the summer, Milner probably too.

If we sell Thiago and Fabinho, that's five senior midfielders out in one window which Is far too many! 

Yeah, I would stagger sales over the next 12 months.  But the recruitment for the next 5 years begins now. 

We need money, and we need wage wiggle-room. 

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm not sure about that. At 19 Gerrard was nervy and struggling with his back/growing pains. It wasn't until he turned 20 that we really started to see the beginning of how good Gerrard was.

The 19 year old Bellingham is better from what I've seen.

By the time Gerrard turned 20 he'd played 44 games for Liverpool and 0 for England.

Bellingham has played 156 times for Dormund and Birmingham and 22 for England, and he still has over half a season to go.

Bellingham is obviously more advanced at this stage, and you could say he is better than Gerrard was at the same age. 

But he's never going to develop the right foot that Gerrard had, so you can see why people think Gerrard looked better.

Mind you there's no shame in that as Gerrard might have a top 10 right foot of all time - it would be silly to expect anyone else to really come close.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Bellingham is obviously more advanced at this stage, and you could say he is better than Gerrard was at the same age. 

But he's never going to develop the right foot that Gerrard had, so you can see why people think Gerrard looked better.

Mind you there's no shame in that as Gerrard might have a top 10 right foot of all time - it would be silly to expect anyone else to really come close.

Any idea how old Gerrard was in that 2-0 game against the mancs when he smashed one past barthez from 25 yards?

If its 19-20, then bellingham isn't even close to Gerrard. 

Edit, just did my own Google check instead of being a lazy cunt. Gerrard was only 20 in that game. 

I might be remembering through Rose tinted glasses. But to me, Gerrard walked all over that utd team that day. 

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Any idea how old Gerrard was in that 3-1 game against the mancs when he smashed one past barthez from 25 yards?

Gerrard was born in May 80

That goal was scored in March 2001....So he was just shy of 21.

Think the game was 2-0 mind....the 3-1 was where Owen scored twice the following season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Any idea how old Gerrard was in that 2-0 game against the mancs when he smashed one past barthez from 25 yards?

Edit, just did my own Google check instead of being a lazy cunt. Gerrard was only 20 in that game. 

I might be remembering through Rose tinted glasses. But to me, Gerrard walked all over that utd team that day. 

He must have been 18/19 against Everton when he cleared a few off the line and told Ince and Redknapp to wake the fuck up. 

I don't see why we need to compare. Bellingham is clearly already brilliant and will only get better. If he's half as good as peak Gerrard then spend the money. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Was he only 20 in that game?  What a goal that was.  

Yeah there can only be a handful of 20 year olds in the history of football who have ever been as good as Gerrard was that match.