You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Civil Partneships

Chip Butty

Did this yesterday. So relaxed, no stress, no drama just a cool day. Its the future. She was well chuffed how stress free it was. 

Fuck all that rigmarole and yes, ridiculous amount of expenses - we spoke to someone yesterday who took pride in spending over £30K for their wedding(they're now divorced btw)

Traditionalist about? or is this the future, I'm with the latter. 

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Did this yesterday. So relaxed, no stress, no drama just a cool day. Its the future. She was well chuffed how stress free it was. 

Fuck all that rigmarole and yes, ridiculous amount of expenses - we spoke to someone yesterday who took pride in spending over £30K for their wedding(they're now divorced btw)

Traditionalist about? or is this the future, I'm with the latter. 

Congratulations. Whatever you're both happy with is the best way. Myself and the Mrs went traditional, but did alot of stuff ourselves to keep costs down. She's Catholic, so her mum wouldn't have forgiven her if we didn't do it in a church (I'm as atheist as they come, but I have to admit, I enjoyed the service itself as we had family and friends playing traditional Irish music during the ceremony). The biggest expense was the hotel reception, but again, we treated it as an excuse for a massive party for ourselves and our friends, so the whole evening was brilliant. She hadn't built the day up as her chance to be a princess or anything, and that lack of pressure helped us both enjoy it more. We'd both do it again, no bother.

• Upvote 3

Fair shout RT, probably worked for us better, as we are in the massive atheist camp.

We had a knees up in the local last night with a load of mates and family. Funny how talking after the deed, how so many people were pro the civil route, bar previously mentioned dead proud to pay £30K and get divorced lady.

We didn't tell most people to this week that we were actually doing it, so it was more of a surprise for others, which was kind of cool as well. Told everyone, no cards, no presents,just bring yourselves for a drink and a giggle. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Congratulations. 

I think its great there are different ways to do it.  None is any more ‘right’ than than the other.  

This! 

Whatever makes a couple happy do it. Fuck everyone else or whatever opinions they have. 

Congrats mate. X

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Are you a lady Chip Butty? In my ignorance I have always imagined Civil Partnerships are same sex couples? Am I wrong here?

They were originally same sex unions but it was successfully challenged in the courts to open them up to everyone. 

Congratulations

Wish my daughter and her husband to be had the sense to select this option, although they've had to cancel twice (covid) they still are having a big wedding next year. I still haven't written my speech despite the extra time. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Magistrates can only sentence up to 6 months and £5000 so nowhere near enough for a marriage. 

OK, so where do you go to get married in UK if you don't want to get married in a church and refuse to go bankrupt to support to weddings industry leeches? Why do you need the civil partnership?

And congratulations on tying the knot CB. 

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

OK, so where do you go to get married in UK if you don't want to get married in a church and refuse to go bankrupt to support to weddings industry leeches? Why do you need the civil partnership?

And congratulations on tying the knot CB. 

Registry office is the usual route.  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Registry office is the usual route.  

That's what I thought/meant, wrong "gistr". So, what is the difference between CP and a registry office marriage then? I would have also thought CP was for same sex, where it is not legal to call it a marriage.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

That's what I thought/meant, wrong "gistr". So, what is the difference between CP and a registry office marriage then? I would have also thought CP was for same sex, where it is not legal to call it a marriage.

All the same rights and obligations but some people don’t like the institution of marriage.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

All the same rights and obligations but some people don’t like the institution of marriage.  

Ah, so gays and lesbians fought for the right to call their institution marriage, and then heteros fought for the right not to call their institution marriage.

• Upvote 2