You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Kings

Kevin D

Favourite?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

So, there's a new 4 episode documentary series on the four kings of boxing; Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard.

Not sure when it will be on British telly, but it's available in all the usual outside places.

https://pw.unblockit.li/tv/1383875/watch-the-kings-season-1-episode-1

https://mixdrop.co/f/1vqxe04xcke60xm

It's really good.  

One of the lines that made me chuckle was, also in the four kings book, from Bob Arum:

""Hagler, nobody wanted to fight him. I got two letters that came the same day. One was from Tip O'Neil(Speaker of the House of Representatives) and the other from Ted Kennedy(Senate Majority leader) that unless I gave their constitute, Marvin Hagler, a shot at the title, I would have my ass hauled before Congress."

Democracy, what a thing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yes they were all warriors. My personal favourite was Hearns, when he hit you you stayed hit. Loved them all though.

Hagler/Hearns is one of the all time great fights. 3 rounds of pure boxing fight 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Hagler was robbed.

Possibly but hagler didn't start with his usual southpaw stance and threw away too many early rounds.

That and not being able to put Duran away swayed it for me. That said if I'd have been a fighter at that time, hagler was the one I'd have feared the most.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Hagler was robbed.

I used to think that (was absolutely fuming at the time) but after watching it again recently I think Leonard did enough to win. Amazing performance really considering it was his first fight in about 4 years.

10 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I used to think that (was absolutely fuming at the time) but after watching it again recently I think Leonard did enough to win. Amazing performance really considering it was his first fight in about 4 years.

It was close. I can see why people scored it either way. 

23 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

5th and 9th round Hagler rocked him, lifted him off his feet with the upper cut I think even giving the 1st 5 to Leonard, Hagler wins.. what did Leonard do? was never the aggressor he just landed flash punches for the cameras to steal rounds and ran.. sentiment added to the decision. When did Hagler look hurt?

I will give it another viewing though, as being a huge Hagler fan I'm probably blinkered.

Huge Hagler fan here too mate. That decision fucking sickened me for years.  On watching it again I think Leonard just does enough though. Just my opinion though and it was very close.  If it was a 15 round fight Hagler would have probably caught up with him stopped him. He was wrong to agree to a 12 round fight