You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Tom Cooper update.

Tom has given up on sensationalism of the MSM.

"Up front: I gave up writing my commentary of all the PRBS, sensationalism, and hysteria about Transnistria, Lavrov’s statements, German tanks etc. circulated in the mainstream- and social media of the last few days: entirely pointless waste of time and energy, surpassing even the levels of all the nonsense that was flying around during the worst times of the Syrian War (and that was a LOT!). Thus, there’s no ‘Strategic’ section today: the only thing that really matters right now is that the Ukrainian railway system is largely back at its full speed, that first batch each of US-made M142 HIMARS multiple rocket launchers and M777 howitzers is in Ukraine, and Ukrainian Army troops are undergoing training on Panzerhaubitze 2000..."

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-25-26-april-2022-aa0c1122320e

TLDR Russia is advancing on most fronts and pounding the defenders with constant and massive artillery attacks.

11 hours ago, ManéMan said:

Yeah but NATO...

Yes, this ‘justifies Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine’. Totally agree. But just for the other stupid twats on here who don’t understand it… how? How does the Assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs saying “Look, I’m not going to speculate and I’m not in a position to talk about what the United States may or may not do in such a situation” justify Russia invading the Ukraine? Just do they know.

Don't worry, I’ll remind you every day until you tell them. Just in case they start calling you a bot again. 

Looks like they are getting ready to drag Moldova into it also.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-backed-transnistria-claims-attack-near-ammunition-depot-was-launched-from-ukraine/ar-AAWDHqB

• Transnistria is a Russian-backed breakaway region in Moldova that's home to 300,000 people.
  • Authorities there reported a Wednesday attack on an ammunition depot and said it came from Ukraine.
  • The assertion could not be independently verified.

CHIŞINĂU, Moldova — Authorities in the breakaway republic Transnistria on Wednesday claimed that shots were fired from Ukraine in the vicinity of an ammunition depot guarded by Russian troops.

The claim, which could not be independently verified, comes after a series of reported explosions in the territory within Moldova, which borders Ukraine and is home to an estimated 1,500 Russian soldiers.

Ukraine has not claimed credit for any of the incidents, which included a purported attack with a grenade launcher on a building used by security services in Tiraspol, the self-proclaimed regional capital.

In a statement posted to its official Telegram, the government of Transnistria said that drones launched from Ukraine were seen Tuesday night in the sky above Klobasna, in the region's north, where the ammunition depot is located. The next morning, "shots were fired from the Ukrainian side in the direction of" the town, it said.

Vitalie Marinuta, a former defense minister for Moldova, told Insider this week that the blasts in Transnistria had the "signature" of Russian military intelligence, perhaps part of an effort to build support for further intervention there or force Ukraine to divert resources amid fears the territory could be used to launch attacks against it.

13 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, this ‘justifies Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine’. Totally agree. But just for the other stupid twats on here who don’t understand it… how? How does the Assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs saying “Look, I’m not going to speculate and I’m not in a position to talk about what the United States may or may not do in such a situation” justify Russia invading the Ukraine? Just do they know.

Don't worry, I’ll remind you every day until you tell them. Just in case they start calling you a bot again. 

@ManéMan Your daily reminder. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Truss will end up starting a nuclear war then taking a selfie in front of it. These are the most amazingly thick and arrogant politicians I've ever seen in this country, just unreal how stupid and shit they are. 

It appears that the Tories are happy to trade off the risk of a nuclear holocaust against the potential to have overall control of Sunderland City Council.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, but what the journalist forgets is our nuclear weapons also go bang. A few of those and no more Russia. No more world. I mean, if you’re sure Ukraine is worth it… have at it. Might as well at this point. 

True but as that mad bastard Russian said, 'no point living in a world anyway without Russia' I take it he means a strong Russia. Unfortunately I sort of believe both him and Putin could actually have that sort of mindset. 

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

True but as that mad bastard Russian said, 'no point living in a world anyway without Russia' I take it he means a strong Russia. Unfortunately I sort of believe both him and Putin could actually have that sort of mindset. 

He is smart enough to know the only way Russia will end is for him to launch just one nuke. 

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Any thoughts on this SaaaS?

There is no info on Russian forces either, apart from speculation, video evidence of losses (same as for Ukrainians ) and estimates. The positions of both sides are regularly explained in maps.  Both sides have daily updates on the enemy losses and occasionally admit their own casualties.

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There is no info on Russian forces either, apart from speculation, video evidence of losses (same as for Ukrainians ) and estimates. The positions of both sides are regularly explained in maps.  Both sides have daily updates on the enemy losses and occasionally admit their own casualties.

OK thanks.

21 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He is smart enough to know the only way Russia will end is for him to launch just one nuke. 

Yeah but I think you're missing his point, unless I've read him wrong, I took it to be a nuclear war from his veiw is preferable to a weak and beaten Russia.

It's mad how a lot of the 'best' troops the Russians are fielding tend to be from  the East, Chechens etc. By 'best' I mean they don't shit their pants. 

The main Russian army seems to be comprised largely of 20-year-olds that really don't want to be there. Is there no crack units/regiments or anyone with experience around? Seems to be just kids and generals and nobody inbetween. 

In the British army you imagine the ages/experience levels vary widely with NCOs etc used to augment units. You also get crack units like the Paras and Marines etc. No sign of that here. 

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's mad how a lot of the 'best' troops the Russians are fielding tend to be from  the East, Chechens etc. By 'best' I mean they don't shit their pants. 

The main Russian army seems to be comprised largely of 20-year-olds that really don't want to be there. Is there no crack units/regiments or anyone with experience around? Seems to be just kids and generals and nobody inbetween. 

In the British army you imagine the ages/experience levels vary widely with NCOs etc used to augment units. You also get crack units like the Paras and Marines etc. No sign of that here. 

Maybe among POWs filmed for propaganda purposes. BBC Russia did an analysis of Russian casualties and found out there is a disproportionate number of officers and NCOs in obituaries. Twitter accounts that follow Russian obituaries seem to confirm this, there is quite a few seasoned fighters, from air assault, marine infantry and armoured units. They used a lot of crack units around Kiev and in Mariupol.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Any thoughts on this SaaaS?

Saw a graphic on reddit the other day with bar charts comparing (admittedly slightly speculative) Russian and Ukrainian losses. The gist of it was: Russia's getting leathered - but at a cost. I'll try and dig it out.

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Truss will end up starting a nuclear war then taking a selfie in front of it. These are the most amazingly thick and arrogant politicians I've ever seen in this country, just unreal how stupid and shit they are. 

God bless her, she's keeping us safe, 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/28/liz-truss-ukraine-war-russia-conservative-power