Quantcast
Our CB situation. - Page 3 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Code

Our CB situation.

On 01/03/2021 at 14:56, Code said:

I’m supposed to have a week winter holiday now, so I can bring some joy to everyones life with some useful stats instead of working. 

I love you x

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Phillips is probably slower than Harry Maguire at full tilt, but Harry Maguire takes the length of the pitch to get up to full tilt, so I don't think there's much in it.

Phillips seems to have been written off as ever becoming a decent player at top level due to lack of pace , but it depends on how he deals with it.

Sami was no faster , in his first year at Willem 2 and three years away from signing for us at this age.

Probably a more realistic comparison is somebody he probably played with at Bolton , Rob Holding. Originally this lad looked among the worst Premiership centre backs I had ever seen , but he has evolved into a reasonable first choice pick at a top team,  by concentrating on his strengths and limiting his weaknesses.

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I am not sure he was.

Not talking pure pace.

Sami turned much quicker and had quicker feet - within five yards - imo - there is no question he was far more mobile.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Phillips seems to have been written off as ever becoming a decent player at top level due to lack of pace , but it depends on how he deals with it.

Sami was no faster , in his first year at Willem 2 and three years away from signing for us at this age.

Probably a more realistic comparison is somebody he probably played with at Bolton , Rob Holding. Originally this lad looked among the worst Premiership centre backs I had ever seen , but he has evolved into a reasonable first choice pick at a top team,  by concentrating on his strengths and limiting his weaknesses.

Rob Holding is unreasonably quick.  Keep an eye out for that, it's surprising. 

Playing centre back for us is harder than playing it for almost anyone else.

Nat's been brilliant for us all things considered and he's defo a Premier League calibre player. Stick him in a team like Burnley, Brighton, Palace etc and he'd be sound.

He's not quick enough to have a future with us but I've got loads of respect for him for the way he's stepped in for us when we've needed him.

• Upvote 5

I think he could have a future with us if we had more reliable choices ahead of him in the pecking order.

He'd be sound to play against the half dozen really fucking alehouse sides in the league if need be, and no disaster against the next three or four either. He seems like solid back up. He knows his own limitations and plays accordingly. 

If we had 5 options he could be one of them. Would not be thrilled with him as the 4th option because you don't get to pick and choose who he plays against if you have a couple of knocks in the players ahead of him.

I've been impressed with Phillips. He's obviously not going to be long-term option for us, except at perhaps a 5th choice but he's hardly put a foot wrong when he's played. Sooner or later he's going to get dragged out wide and crucified by somebody in a foot race, and then he'll get endless stick online, but he's a decent player and will have a Premier League career for somebody. 

I hope he carves himself out a good career at this level. I just hope it’s not with us. He’s done well and I’d be really disappointed if we signed Kabak and got rid of him but ultimately we’ll need better than both. Fabinho should be the fifth choice CB.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If we had 5 options he could be one of them. Would not be thrilled with him as the 4th option because you don't get to pick and choose who he plays against if you have a couple of knocks in the players ahead of him.

Well, we could if Fabinho was the other option. 

VVD, two good centrebacks that don't fall apart every few weeks, Phillips, Fabinho. 

That would work. Alas the next two best after VVD either break down in training every month or do their cruciates once a year. 

But with the current crop, you're right, he can't be 4th choice. 

We're actually in an awkward position with Phillips because his contract ends this summer, which before this season would have been fine, I'm sure we wouldn't have minded if he was to leave for free. Except now, he's acquired some value and I'm sure there would be clubs ready to pay a decent fee for him. So I wonder if we'll extend his contract just to give him some value in the market. The addition of Davies also complicates this because he's another body. Who knows what we'll do with him. Be nice to see him play. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not what we want then.

What are the available new pairings?

Fabinho-Kabak is the obvious answer. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not what we want then.

What are the available new pairings?

21 hours ago, Code said:

Fabinho-Kabak is the obvious answer. 

Get in - CB bingo!