You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Ugh. We're supposed to be about 5-6 weeks behind France. I hope we use that time wisely and don't fuck around, like at the start of the pandemic when we could see what was coming, but hoped to get through it by British pluck. Still not convinced this is a 'second wave', it looks to be the first wave coming back as restrictions ease.

Add it to all the people saying why aren’t people getting hospitalised more in Spain since cases are rising, you can clearly see from this data that it takes time to spread to older people but it is how happening. Hospitalisations will follow. 

12 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m intending to invent a big box with a question mark on it and when you stand underneath it, jump up and head butt it, a flashing star with a smiley face pops out of the top and makes you invincible for a limited period of time. Then I’m aiming to replicate this on a grand scale so all of us great British people can enjoy Christmas properly. 

It’s a moonshot but I’ll do everything in my power to make it happen. 

Put me down for three of them. 

21 hours ago, clangers said:

This is classic Boris, the garden bridge, the bridge between NI and Scotland. In fact does 'Project Moonshot' include a bridge? No, that's not fair I'd forgotten about his international floating airport on the Thames.

I had never heard about this so I Googled it to see if it was a joke.

Reader, it was not.

London-Britannia-Airport-plans-Nov-13-ae

57 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

My brains beyond hope but it might affect you

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/health/coronavirus-brain.html

"A new study offers the first clear evidence that, in some people, the coronavirus invades brain cells, hijacking them to make copies of itself. The virus also seems to suck up all of the oxygen nearby, starving neighboring cells to death."

I mean, that doesn't sound great, to me. 

I'm pretty sure I saw a video made by a US surgeon who had performed post mortems, he said there were examples of the brain being affected. I'll have to look it up but if the brain has ACE2 receptors, this would make sense.

Edit :

ACE2 is present in most organs: ACE2 is attached to the cell membrane of mainly lung type II alveolar cells, enterocytes of the small intestine, arterial and venous endothelial cells and arterial smooth muscle cells in most organs. ACE2 mRNA expression is also found in the cerebral cortex, striatum, hypothalamus, and brainstem.[18] The expression of ACE2 in cortical neurons and glia make them susceptible to a SARS-CoV-2 attack, which was the possible basis of anosmia and incidences of neurological deficits seen in COVID-19.[19] As anosmia and dysgeusia are seen early in many COVID-19 patients, it was suggested to be considered to be a heralding clue in COVID-19,[20] which subsequently was declared as "significant symptoms" in COVID-19 by the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery.[21]

Nephews been sent home to isolate for 7 days. His mate who he went to a party with who goes to another school has got it.

Funny thing is his mate is a bit of a rogue pretended to have a cough at school,  they sent him home and so his dad took him for a test annoyed at his piss taking. Turns out he has got it, with no symptoms 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think this is the 2nd update of figures from Zoe this week, it's usually weekly. Reassuring not wild at this point. All the way through the Zoe model has tracked way beyond the government stats, but I'm guessing this is about the same at the moment. 

Screenshot_20200911-105451.jpg

Screenshot_20200911-105451.jpg

I get a different number through my app?

A3A642A9-052B-4FCE-945D-B6653DE99F4C.png