You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

Admittedly I've not watched much of this WC but has there actually been much fuss made during games about the heat? Given the ominous talk beforehand I was expecting Aldo-esque rants about water (hard to believe Aldo ever ranted about water, but he did), players looking like Jimmy Carter (the ex-president, not the one who was even worse at football) after a brisk jog and long delays for recovery during games. But in the couple of games I did watch it didn't seem an issue at all.

Funny how all the other countries 'flag shaggers' like Argentina, France, Spain, Brasil, Portugal etc are given a free run not to mention some of those countries being or have been utter fascists regimes. Hey ho.

Id be made up for Hendo and Trent (and Bellingham if he joins us) if England won it. Dont think they will but rather they did than any of the afore mentioned.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Funny how all the other countries 'flag shaggers' like Argentina, France, Spain, Brasil, Portugal etc are given a free run not to mention some of those countries being or have been utter fascists regimes. Hey ho.

Id be made up for Hendo and Trent (and Bellingham if he joins us) if England won it. Dont think they will but rather they did than any of the afore mentioned.

All them Argentinian and French fans turning up at Anfield and calling us murderers, slum dwellers, victims etc every week ... 

• Upvote 2

Crazy how rushed all this is. Still in the second round of the World Cup and we're playing Manchester City in the League Cup in a fortnight's time.

I've generally no huge sympathy for the 'workload' of professional footballers, but this is different level greed-motivated, FIFA-driven stupidity. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Crazy how rushed all this is. Still in the second round of the World Cup and we're playing Manchester City in the League Cup in a fortnight's time.

I've no generally no huge sympathy for the 'workload' of professional footballers, but this is different level greed-motivated, FIFA-driven stupidity. 

It certainly has flown by, is it actually shorter? It’s 4 weeks from first game until the final. I think Russia was only a couple of days longer.

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

All them Argentinian and French fans turning up at Anfield and calling us murderers, slum dwellers, victims etc every week ... 

Those French cowards who beat and tear gassed our supporters, allowed big and potentially life threatening crushes to form, tried to blame it on our behaviour and when people needed help after the game, were nowhere to be seen?

I’ve zero love for the England side, I hope they beat France and then Spain wipe the floor with them. 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It certainly has flown by, is it actually shorter? It’s 4 weeks from first game until the final. I think Russia was only a couple of days longer.

It's a lot more than that, though. 

No training camps before the tournament, then straight back into competitive club football in the days after the final. 

30 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I have kept out of these world cup threads completely as i have genuinely not watched a second of it and won't.....and my opinion about international football and especially ingerlund is well known on here.

I've stayed away from saying anything so as to not piss on other peoples chips so to speak - but your post is one I feel I must reply to.

Not having a pop at you personally but do the 'flag shaggers' from Brazil, Portugal etc treat Scousers, the city of Liverpool and Liverpool FC like shite?

The flag shaggers of Ingerlund do.....Week in week out we get "sign on" "always the victim" "in your liverpool slums" "murderers" etc sang/shouted at us - from away fans visiting Anfield or the grounds we are visiting.

As an exiled scouser I can tell you that the stereotypes of 'stealing hubcaps' 'being on the dole' 'calm down, calm down' etc are gleefully perpetuated by people - if i had a pound for every time a dickhead Chelsea or Tottenham et al fan had made a 'joke' about hubcaps towards me or done a hilarious impression using the words chicken or coke i'd be a wealthy man....and believe me it is often barely and very thinly veiled hate - covered with its a 'joke' but it really isn't and it isn't at all deep below that thin surface the hate - and it comes out often.

I had the misfortune to be on a tube surrounded by chelsea fans after the fa cup final and the stuff being said about us was fucking sick....really really sick.

That silly shite isn't that bad as stupid and mildly irritating as it is but the shite we get thrown at us week in week out at the game "feed the scousers" at christmas and so on and the vitriolic hatred on the cesspits that are twitter/facebook etc is bad and it is getting worse.

So why would any self respecting scouser/Liverpool supporter want to stand arm in arm with the people who throw that shite at us, our city, our people, our culture, our football team?

It isn't a minority either it is found the length and breadth of this country - football related and socially too....

Hillsborough and Heysel - the weaponising of tragic deaths....

And then we can get into the Tories and Brexit voters who represent a very, very different ideal to the vast majority of Liverpudlians.....their social beliefs etc etc.

Not to mention even their fan culture is totally different to ours - you don't see flags with george crosses, poppies, 3 lions, no surrender, on tour, name of shite town on blah blah at our games.....you don't hear us singing that dirge of a national anthem....

This country has treated Liverpool as acity like shite for decades - all the manahed decline stuff in the 80's etc.

I just can't understand how any of us could want the same thing as these people, how we could support what they do and stand by their side and how we could want them to be happy.

Is it all of them? No. Is it more than enough of them? YES - And i don't want a single one of those scouse/Liverpool hating cunts to be happy and I certainly won't just forget being called a murderer, listening to silences for our lost supporters booed and stand with those people who do that and sing "its coming home" etc....

Fuck them - they hate us, who we are, where we come from and what we believe in and frankly I hate them and what they are and what they stand for and support.

Fuck Ingerlund I hope they suffer defeat again in the most agonising manner possible.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Those French cowards who beat and tear gassed our supporters, allowed big and potentially life threatening crushes to form, tried to blame it on our behaviour and when people needed help after the game, were nowhere to be seen?

I’ve zero love for the England side, I hope they beat France and then Spain wipe the floor with them. 

Yes those French police. They weren't fans were they. I couldn't care less who you want to win to be honest so you don't have to keep telling me every few hours. 

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

The way Japan play and their fans make them very likeable. This is actually a good game. 

Yep very likeable side. Weirdly though Celtic have 3 (4 now actually they've just signed another) Japanese players. Kyogo, Hatate and Maeda. Maede is the bald fella up-front on the pitch, the other two didn't even get called up and they are both better than him! 

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah, it's not like the fascists in Argentina didnt steal new born babies from maternity hossies to give to their childless 'friends' or make hundreds of 'activists' disappear overnight never to be seen alive again, is it?

Like I said and was ignored, Id be made up for our players if England won. Same as I would if Holland won it with Virgil.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep very likeable side. Weirdly though Celtic have 3 (4 now actually they've just signed another) Japanese players. Kyogo, Hatate and Maeda. Maede is the bald fella up-front on the pitch, the other two didn't even get called up and they are both better than him! 

Applying lazy national stereotypes I wouldn’t have thought Japanese players would thrive in the Scottish prem. But who knows.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, it's not like the fascists in Argentina didnt steal new born babies from maternity hossies to give to their childless 'friends' or make hundreds of 'activists' disappear overnight never to be seen alive again, is it?

Like I said and was ignored, Id be made up for our players if England won. Same as I would if Holland won it with Virgil.

I assume you don't want either side to win here then? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reckoner said:

Applying lazy national stereotypes I wouldn’t have thought Japanese players would thrive in the Scottish prem. But who knows.

The opposite. Remember Celtic had Nakamura who was a beast and Postecoglou managed in the J League.

DeadFailingBrocketdeer-max-1mb.gif

IllinformedZigzagIndigowingedparrot-max-

Let's be honest, Italian fans beat one of ours into a coma, and it didn't stop anyone hoping Italy would beat England in the Euros final a couple of years later.

Nobody's going to change now. Doesn't matter if you're cheering on the team who'll be greeted home by the French Sports Minister who tried smearing us.