You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rugby Union World Cup - Japan - 2019

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Scrappy first half, especially from the breakdown. Tongan defence have kept the score respectful and have had to work really hard, only one winner from here as the Tongans will be knackered later in the game. Just a case of if they can get the bonus point. Some big hits going in though, lot of sore bodies tomorrow. 

The NZ ref and his back up have been excellent, especially as the officials have been crucified in other games. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Decent enough win with the bonus point, not a great performance though, work to be done. Tonga's defence were very good (as were England's) though and both France and Argentina won't have things easy. 

Some good points ( Tuilagi , Bonus point , Not too knackered for Thursday ) and while not perfect you would not expect that in the first game of a tournament.

Highlight for me when the touch judge couldn't be arsed to run to where Farrell's penalty went out and just stuck his flag up where he stood & the camera went on Farrell just as he glared at him and said ' What the fuck is that '

15 hours ago, General Dryness said:

The Wallabies will need the bonus points, didn't look too good for a while against Fiji. I fear they could be badly exposed against a quality side.

Traditionally in a WC, the Wallabies are slow starters. They have the quality, but lack some mental toughness. They destroyed the ABs in Perth, but the same team couldn’t handle Eden Park a week later- which is typical of what they do.

on neutral territory though, I won’t discount them as finalists.

12 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Traditionally in a WC, the Wallabies are slow starters. They have the quality, but lack some mental toughness. They destroyed the ABs in Perth, but the same team couldn’t handle Eden Park a week later- which is typical of what they do.

on neutral territory though, I won’t discount them as finalists.

They'll get nowhere near the final. A poor shadow of the side they used to be, unfortunately. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I can't work out who the bigger bunch of tossers are. 

England Footy fans or England Rugby Union fans. 

Did they boo the US anthem at the beginning? I was kind of in and out of the room and I'm sure I heard that. 

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not sure they just all look like tossers 

Normally well behaved, especially in comparison to their counterparts in that other game.

Hard to judge this England performance, despite certain pundits saying the USA are an improving team they look utter shit to me. Be nice if England can keep a clean sheet, the victory was always going to happen and you can only play what is in front of you. Comfortable as you like though.

That was nasty be the US player Quill, and a deserved Red. Dirty fucker. 

I think there is a case that the WC should start a week earlier and the bottom two ranked teams in each group play each other first with the losers then being eliminated from the group and going into a plate type group with the other losers. They'd still get to play at a WC and also have a chance of being the best of the rest and win something. 

Guest Pistonbroke

This Japanese team are pretty good to watch. They've actually ran the ball more than the Irish and have kept themselves in this game and at H/T they are only 3 points behind. Fully expect Ireland to go on to win this game, but they are certainly in a game. I can see Scotland and Samoa being beaten to second spot by the Japanese, home advantage and all that. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Great first half, the Japanese are a joy to watch.

They are just behind Scotland and Argentina in 10th place in the World rankings. That could change when the meet Scotland. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Although I wanted Ireland to win it would have been a travesty if they had taken anything from that game. Japan were absolutely brilliant in that second half. Ireland were utter gash, they played into Japan's hands the whole time, but those Japanese lads should take a bow. Sets this group up for some cracking games to come. Ireland should still qualify, but they'll have to up their game somewhat. If Japan beat Scotland they'll have met their ambitions of making the top 8 in this competition. Ireland's performance summed up by that kick to touch at the end although the gong had already gone. Probably more scared of japan scoring again than trying to save the game one last time. 

Guest Pistonbroke

That was a great 40 for Wales, Australia showing why they probably won't go far in this Tournament, although you can never completely write them off as they do have a performance in them. Damage limitation in the second half though.