You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Railways

Dougie Do'ins

21 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Building a model railway seems to be a bit if a thing for ageing pop stars. Neil young, Rod Stewart and Jools Holland all have huge layouts. Weird phenomenon. 

They've usually got pots of money spare and loads of space in their big fuck off mansions in which to indulge. Waterman's got a huge O scale layout in a dedicated outbuilding. Rumoured to have cost £250,000.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

They've usually got pots of money spare and loads of space in their big fuck off mansions in which to indulge. Waterman's got a huge O scale layout in a dedicated outbuilding. Rumoured to have cost £250,000.

I’ve met Pete waterman a couple of times. He owns a few actual locomotives as well. Nice guy. Proper train spotter, far more interested in trains than pop music. 

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's an absolute palace. Compare that to something as bland and dull as Liverpool South Parkway.

It really is astonishing. Like St Pancras but after years of taking illegal steroids. I’ve never seen main line locomotives on 3 levels before. If you like railway architecture it’s well worth a trip to see it. 

On 15/11/2022 at 13:55, Captain Willard said:

It really is astonishing. Like St Pancras but after years of taking illegal steroids. I’ve never seen main line locomotives on 3 levels before. If you like railway architecture it’s well worth a trip to see it. 

Have you seen the series, 'The Architecture the Railways built'. It's on Dave, I think. Suff from Britain and abroad, lots of hidden treasures.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Should have listened. Got in at 3am. 

My wife is going to London today.  No service in first class and her seat reservation cancelled.  Her ticket was £350.  

The variability in train fares for the same journey in the UK is absurd. Must be one of the widest price spectrums for a generic product. The profit on your wife's ticket is subsidising us regular using proles in standard and for that we are grateful.  

17 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The variability in train fares for the same journey in the UK is absurd. Must be one of the widest price spectrums for a generic product. The profit on your wife's ticket is subsidising us regular using proles in standard and for that we are grateful.  

But when you see how the half-dozen people in First get about a third of the entire train, while it's standing room only for the plebs, you start to see trains as a microcosm of the whole shitty country.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

But when you see how the half-dozen people in First get about a third of the entire train, while it's standing room only for the plebs, you start to see trains as a microcosm of the whole shitty country.

I read a good article recently about the symbiotic relationship between first and economy fare travellers. Us proles in standard need mrs Rico to occasionally buy a £350 ticket keep our fares down and she needs enough of us buying £50 tickets every day to ensure the train companies run a regular predictable service that she can use infrequently. If either stopped the other would lose out. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I should point out Mrs Rico’s ticket is paid for by work.  

But as has been said business class on a plane pays for economy.  

Yes it does, same with the trains. If you scrap 1st class, the fares for everyone else have to go up as apart from the marginal cost if catering, the costs of operating the plane/train are the same. Crazy prices for 1st class are a form of wealth redistribution.

Equally the passengers in 1st class who travel much less frequently (mainly) need the steady demand from standard class to incentivise the train/plane operators to run a regular service rather than one offs specials which would be insanely expensive. Hence the symbiosis. I think it’s a great theory. 

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Should have listened. Got in at 3am. 

My wife is going to London today.  No service in first class and her seat reservation cancelled.  Her ticket was £350.  

1st class travel you say?

Is your wife a Conservative voter? Filthy tory weasel fighting their dirty underhand war.

Or perhaps she's a lefty? Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for blighty!

13 minutes ago, A Red said:

1st class travel you say?

Is your wife a Conservative voter? Filthy tory weasel fighting their dirty underhand war.

Or perhaps she's a lefty? Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for blighty!

I think he said her work paid. Besides this is the railway thread, people post mostly about train sets, locomotives and Victorian architecture. We tend not to argue much here. 

That said, if somebody said a class 33 was a better looking locomotive than a Deltic I’d be the first to offer the cunt out. 

• 2 months later...