You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Gomez

Oh Buoy

Awful last night (though not as bad as Tsimikas). Konate wasn't much better, and though I didn't notice as much, others have criticised Van Dijk. 

He's had a really good season though in a variety of roles. 

Thought we missed Bradley's urgency last night. 

37 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Awful last night (though not as bad as Tsimikas). Konate wasn't much better, and though I didn't notice as much, others have criticised Van Dijk. 

We missed some width & crosses from the right last night. Not that it would have made any difference.

46 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

bradley has been looking tired though. we have to be careful with the lad and we need to get the bet out of him on sunday. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

bradley has been looking tired though. we have to be careful with the lad and we need to get the bet out of him on sunday. 

He might be tired, but once he gets booked between the tenth and fifteenth minutes we’ll all be fine.

• Haha 1

I was pissed at the match last night.

I'm usually quiet enough outside of the singing but I just remembered absolutely losing my shit very vocally and loudly with everyone who shouted 'shoot' around me when Gomez had a shot from distance second half. Needed to be said I suppose.

• Upvote 1

As much as we have not been playing well Bradley in the whole has been very good and we look far more balanced with him holding width than Gomez doing the inverted thing. 

Gomez has been a linchpin this season - his verstaility has been so, so important with the injury problems we have had.

But for my money he could do with a rest and unless we need him to start at centre half (even though he is arguably a better full back now) then he starts on bench for me now given we have our full complement of full backs available now.

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2024 at 20:25, El Rojo said:

It’s Klopp who’s been encouraging him to shoot though.

Did Klopp also tell him to shoot from stupid positions, when there are clearly better options available?

Or would it be fair to expect that a player at the very top level is able to make those decisions?

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Did Klopp also tell him to shoot from stupid positions, when there are clearly better options available?

Or would it be fair to expect that a player at the very top level is able to make those decisions?

Whatever it is, he should stop shooting.

On 12/04/2024 at 19:34, Turkish Delight said:

I'm usually quiet enough outside of the singing but I just remembered absolutely losing my shit very vocally and loudly with everyone who shouted 'shoot' around me when Gomez had a shot from distance second half. Needed to be said I suppose.

I lose my shit on this every fucking game! Dickheads are doing for everyone now within about 30 yards of goal. Do they think it's funny? I can't work it out. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I lose my shit on this every fucking game! Dickheads are doing for everyone now within about 30 yards of goal. Do they think it's funny? I can't work it out. 

It's either people who know nothing about football or unfunny banter merchants. Possibly both.

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2024 at 19:34, Turkish Delight said:

Were you pissed off or pissed drunk?

27 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's fine if we're 3-0 up. But when we're chasing the game teams are actually allowing him the opportunity now. Cut off all possible passing channels, and Gomez effectively gives you a goal kick.

When the game is in the balance unless you're a goal scoring midfielder, or Trent, you shouldn't be shooting from outside the box.

36 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

When the game is in the balance unless you're a goal scoring midfielder, or Trent, you shouldn't be shooting from outside the box.

I don't mind other players having a crack from distance, as long as it's tactical. Force defenders to commit and close the player down, creating space elsewhere, so the pass is on next time. The problem is not just that Gomez can't hit a barn door, but once he decides to shoot he just goes through with it no matter what.

Bit like Salah, really.