You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shenmue 3

Pureblood

If you're a Shenmue virgin I highly recommend picking up the Shenmue 1 & 2 rerelease for PS4/Xbox One/PC.  The first game is a slow burner and can be frustrating for newcomers, but is worth persevering with if you are into story-driven gaming.  It's also a landmark title in the open world genre.  

The sequel ups the pace and action, whilst still firmly focussing on the epic storyline, and is my all time favourite game.  No other game has made me feel as emotionally involved or invested as Shenmue 2.  

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Are the remastered anygood

Anyone I have spoke to has said it very glitchy and not really great. I loved the first game but bit worried it won't live up to my memories 

They've both been patched up.  As long as you download the patches then they play fine.

No not yet. 

I'd move over to playstation by then and never played it. And while there was no third game I never bothered overpaying for the second. I'll probably get it once I've wrapped up my currents to do list

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

No not yet. 

I'd move over to playstation by then and never played it. And while there was no third game I never bothered overpaying for the second. I'll probably get it once I've wrapped up my currents to do list

It's on the same disc as Shenmue 1.  They come as a pair.  

pc-and-video-games-games-ps4-shenmue-i-i

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Shenmue 2 (in particular, though I loved the first one too) was so so so good. 

There are too many instances in the first game during the part working forklifts at the harbour where you have to wait for the clock for the next cut scene.  The only thing to do is go and play darts in the shop and wait for the clock.

The second game has none of that and I love the characters and storyline as it develops.  Ren of Heavens must be based on Han Solo.  His first line of dialogue is "may the Gods be with you", very Star Wars.  Lishao Tao is another great character.  Did you ever do the duck racing side quest?  Or Fangmei's birthday side quest?  They are both a bit weird and I only found about them by reading a walkthrough.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

There are too many instances in the first game during the part working forklifts at the harbour where you have to wait for the clock for the next cut scene.  The only thing to do is go and play darts in the shop and wait for the clock.

The second game has none of that and I love the characters and storyline as it develops.  Ren of Heavens must be based on Han Solo.  His first line of dialogue is "may the Gods be with you", very Star Wars.  Lishao Tao is another great character.  Did you ever do the duck racing side quest?  Or Fangmei's birthday side quest?  They are both a bit weird and I only found about them by reading a walkthrough.

I did indeed do the duck racing! Very funny. I can't recall the birthday quest even after having just watched a YouTube of it. 

4 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

I did indeed do the duck racing! Very funny. I can't recall the birthday quest even after having just watched a YouTube of it. 

The fights with Eileen and Izumi in the arcade were great.  

You could get your own duck to enter in the races by catching two leaves three times in a row from the tree in the yard at Man Mo temple.  

To do the birthday quest you had to talk to Fangmei a lot, answer all her questions correctly and all sorts of other obscure stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

A solid 8/10 from me and I know my ratings.

I loved it.  The section in Bailu Village is far more polished than Niaowu, though.  The Niaowu section felt a bit rushed and I didn't like the fact that you couldn't talk to every NPC.   I still enjoyed Niaowu overall, though, and loved the ending.