You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Tottenham 2 (Feb 4 2018)

tlw content

As long as virtually every pundit and commentator out there keeps repeating the mantra 'he's felt contact, he's entitled to go down' then this is just going to continue to get worse.

The FA usually react to whatever incidents are getting the most negative publicity.

You wouldn't want to be having a game of 'tic' with this shower of cunts.

Here's a great idea... Football should officially be made a non contact sport. Any touch on the opposition player should be deemed foul play, because that's basically what is happening.

For fucks sake, the contact made on the 2nd wouldn't even have dented a fucking loaf of bread and yet people are saying it's a correct call?

2 fucking pens in the death of a match to ensure that the fight for fourth stays interesting...

I'm flabbergasted at the reaction to the second pen. I was listening to a BBC podcast with Ian Wright, Chris Sutton and Andy Brassell on, and they were unanimous in their assertion it was a pen. It's not so much the fact that people think it was a pen that bothers- it's a game of opinions, after all- but, similar to the Calvert-Lewin reaction, the unwavering insistence that it's a pen because there's a degree of contact there.

You see Lamela anticipate the possibility of a pen because Van Dijk goes to boot the ball halfway up the pitch, Van Dijk is onto this so pulls away, but because Lamela has already committed himself at this point and a degree of contact has been made, it's apparently a stone wall decision. Just rubbish. What the he'll is Van Dijk supposed to do? He pulls away at the point of initiated contact, his leg is high but pulled back because he twigs mid-motion what Lamela is after, no hint of studs. Just what the he'll is the defender supposed to do? He's being punished by virtue of having a fucking leg.

For me, it's equally, if not more bizarre, that the aforementioned Calvert-Lewin incident. May as well just do away with defending altogether if the deck is being stacked so highly in favour of the attacker whereby any touch is being deemed worthy of a penalty.

• Upvote 2

Carragher has been a prick over this as well, according to him on MNF (after he'd removed himself from Rooney's backside) both of them were penalties???

I mean the first is so shocking it's unbelievable that ex-players are even thinking that was a pen, how the fuck what Lovren did can even be considered a back pass is just utter shite. The only one I've seen say it shouldn't have been given is Jermain Jenas

I really hope one or both of these incidents happen to England in the World Cup then let's see how many of them think it's a pen

• Upvote 2

TELEMMGLPICT000153303068_trans_NvBQzQNjv

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly 

• Upvote 1

Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I should really get over it - but something came up in discussion in transit to Porto.

It has been said the first penalty didn't matter because it was missed. But Kane has said recently he decides where he is going with his penalty the day before a match. Our keeper and coaches had also done their homework and guessed he would go down the middle - hence the save.

So if it hadn't have been awarded - and it shouldn't have been - it is reasonable to believe the second penalty (which shouldn't have been awarded either) would have gone down the middle and been saved.

Feel better for getting that off my chest; I will move on now.

• Upvote 2

Shame we played them so early into VVD's time here. The last couple of weeks he's really settled in and made such a difference to the defence (and midfield). I think that extra bit of composure we're now showing might have made a difference. (Although saying all that we were beaten by cheating and incompetency so maybe it wouldn't have mattered). 

He felt contact that HE initiated. Deliberately kicked Karius to make it look like he'd been caught, the big chinned gormless twat.

The way Gerrard did hundreds of times in his career. The dive by Kane was good enough to get a pen, but he was definitively rely offside and you’ll not convince me otherwise.

Either he is offside because the rule has been misinterpreted or the rule is so bad I refuse to acknowledge it.