You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Another concern is they tend to repeat.  

See Fat Ronaldo, Ings and the Ox 

Yes getting any type of injury means a higher chance for it to repeat. I do think that with todays method of surgically repairing ACL's, recurrence isn't as prevelant as with muscle type injuries. You mentioned Ox, but it didnt stop us from paying 40 mill for him. And he's had a lot more missed time with injuries of many varieties compared to Fekir. No one mentioned anything about it when we bought him, and most probably still think it was a good buy despite his recent injury.

Yes getting any type of injury means a higher chance for it to repeat. I do think that with todays method of surgically repairing ACL's, recurrence isn't as prevelant as with muscle type injuries. You mentioned Ox, but it didnt stop us from paying 40 mill for him. And he's had a lot more missed time with injuries of many varieties compared to Fekir. No one mentioned anything about it when we bought him, and most probably still think it was a good buy despite his recent injury.

The way Klopp plays also plays a determinative factor i.e. injury prone players are most likely going to be injured again. If we are to play this type of football..we need to look better into past history injuries.

El Rojo - How reliable is Calcio Insider? Saying we're after Julian Brandt for €60m.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/21/report-claims-liverpool-are-preparing-eu60m-move-bundesliga-playmaker-and-germany-international

Report Claims Liverpool Are Preparing €60m Move for Bundesliga Playmaker and Germany International

Liverpool are interested in signing German international midfielder Julian Brandt and the Merseyside club are prepared to offer Bayern Leverkusen €60m for the services of the 22-year-old attacker.

According to reports made by Calcio Insider, the Reds have been tracking the German youngster for quite a while now and the Bundesliga club were determined to keep him, as Brandt agreed to a new deal last month.

However, a Leverkusen source (via Calcio Insider) has confirmed that the club only agreed the deal with the 22-year-old starlet to get rid of the cheap release clause in his previous contract and increase his market price.

The information gathered from Calcio revealed that the German attacker's previous contract, which was set to expire in 2019, had a release clause worth €20m which could have been triggered this summer if any interested clubs came calling.

Leverkusen, who Brandt joined from Wolfsburg in 2014, are open to selling their prized asset if their asking price of €60m is met in the summer transfer window. Liverpool are prepared to match that sum with Jurgen Klopp desperate to get his German compatriot into the Merseyside club.

Brandt can play on both sides of a midfield or front three as well as in the attacking midfielder role if needed, and has been directly involved in 19 goals (12 goals, 7 assists) in 30 games for Leverkusen this season.

With the Reds needing to add depth in their offensive positions for next season the German international, who will be going to the World Cup with the national side, could prove to be a top-quality signing for Jurgen Klopp's side.

This is certainly interesting information. I defer to your superior knowledge of his play having watched him. But correct me if I'm wrong, but watching what I can of him, he just looks like he has a very physical dribbling style, almost Suarez like, where he actively engages in physical contact to protect and even knock defenders off balance. He looks like he has a very strong core. To me that style of dribbling is effective without superior pace, which Suarez certainly didn't have. And to me he looks technically superior to Suarez.

So it seems to me that he has a style that could still be incredibly effective in the EPL, even if with his previous acceleration he could have been even better. He still had easily his most statistically dominant season despite losing one of his key physical attributes.

Also one of the issues with ACL injuries is players mentally try to protect themselves in their immediate return, which can take some time to get over psychologically. So I certainly wouldn't rule out some of that acceleration coming back with another good pre season and him regaining more confidence in his knee holding up.

You're right that in theory his body type and physicality would be an advantage in England. But what I woud say is that it's not a good thing that he invites contact instead of evading it and you used the Suarez example, but Suarez was a bit of a freak and never got injured. I wouldn't call Fekir injury prone, but I'd much rather he was still able to blow by people like he used to do than having to take more lumps.

And he does take lumps, I don't have the stats but I'm certain he's the most fouled player in France. He takes a pounding most matches and this is with the refs protecting him. He's not gonna get that in England. I have a feeling he'd take huge punishment here. 

I love the player because he's so strong technically and I'd love it if he came here and was a huge star, but it's not a guarantee. I felt sure that Salah and Mane would be brilliant signings but this one is not as clear. 

What I would say, is that he's a great compliment to our front 3 because he has qualities they don't possess, namely his ability in tight spaces.  

Fucking what? We can't buy back Joe?

FSG are shit....

Allen could stay with relegated Stoke

Joe Allen has boosted Stoke by claiming he would consider staying at the bet365 Stadium.

Stoke fear Allen may part of the star exodus following relegation, along with Jack Butland, Xherdan Shaqiri and Badou Ndiaye.

West Ham wanted the Wales midfielder in January and he has a £25million buy-out clause in his contract for any of the top-six sides, excluding former club Liverpool.

Allen, 28, has three years left on the deal he signed when he joined from Liverpool for £13million in 2016, and says he is open to staying.

“Of course I will consider it,” he said. “If I’m honest, it’s a summer when you don’t know what’s going to happen.

“But if the club wants me to stay to help it get up, then it’s certainly something I will consider.”

Fucking what? We can't buy back Joe?

FSG are shit....

Allen could stay with relegated Stoke

Joe Allen has boosted Stoke by claiming he would consider staying at the bet365 Stadium.

Stoke fear Allen may part of the star exodus following relegation, along with Jack Butland, Xherdan Shaqiri and Badou Ndiaye.

West Ham wanted the Wales midfielder in January and he has a £25million buy-out clause in his contract for any of the top-six sides, excluding former club Liverpool.

Allen, 28, has three years left on the deal he signed when he joined from Liverpool for £13million in 2016, and says he is open to staying.

“Of course I will consider it,” he said. “If I’m honest, it’s a summer when you don’t know what’s going to happen.

“But if the club wants me to stay to help it get up, then it’s certainly something I will consider.”

Well, he helped them go down so there is that.

Speaking on SFR Sport, Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas was asked about Nabil Fékir’s future.

“There has been no contact with Liverpool or any other club so we haven’t discussed the future. I know that Nabil, now that we have qualified for the Champions’ League, would really like to stay, so we will discuss things calmly. He has magnificently won the right to go to Russia with France, which gives him an even higher standing. For the moment, nothing is done. You will have to be very, very rich to sign Nabil Fékir this year.”

Aulas can be a bit of a bullshitter though.