You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bitcoin and other Crypto...

Spy Bee

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Why would they be bargains? A pound would be all they were worth.

Millions, perhaps a billion of first time buyers would buy in at that price. The key takeaway here is that fiat is dying. Crypto will win the war.

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

£85 up on my newly acquired Lumens. I’ve had Wall Street on the phone asking me to go over and start on Monday but I told them to fuck off. 

Love it. Good on ya maan. Feels good when you catch a good wave ey?

I get bonus WXT for shopping with crypto. Ive amassed over 4000 WXT. Ok they’re worth a cent, barely. If they get to ten bucks over the next couple of years, that will be a nice little windfall when I turn 65 and my pension kicks in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

Millions, perhaps a billion of first time buyers would buy in at that price. The key takeaway here is that fiat is dying. Crypto will win the war.

Can't see how. The confidence in fiat currencies is based on a country's GDP and gold reserves. You need dollars to buy oil. Countries borrow money by issuing bonds in their currencies. If that is threatened, then crypto will be regulated.

I might be wrong, but I don't see it changing in my lifetime. The news about it just seems classic market pumping to me.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Can't see how. The confidence in fiat currencies is based on a country's GDP and gold reserves. You need dollars to buy oil. Countries borrow money by issuing bonds in their currencies. If that is threatened, then crypto will be regulated.

I might be wrong, but I don't see it changing in my lifetime. The news about it just seems classic market pumping to me.

Firstly, Central banks have only recently started acquiring gold. The truth is, it is future taxation that gives governments the ability to borrow the massive amounts they do from the printing presses.

People are waking up to the fact that commercial banks are a licence to prInt money, & extract exorbitant profits for the privilege while fuelling climate change. This is the real theft, completely separate from government borrowed debt.

As long as the tax man gets his tax, he won’t care where it comes from and crypto will thrive. That’s already happening.

What happened at Consensus today 

The Roundup

5 Big Takeaways From Day 1 at Consensus

The first day at Consensus 2021 was packed with news and insight, from Ray Dalio speaking freely on the coming debt crisis to a Federal Reserve chair indicating that the central bank “wants a seat at the table” in the development of cross-border solutions. Here are the five need-to-know takeaways from Monday’s events. 

1. Competition is driving CBDC research

Federal Reserve Governor Lael Brainard didn’t exactly give a forward projection for the agency’s policy this morning, but she did say the Fed is more interested in central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) than previously known. Brainard said it’s important to follow the rise of private money and CBDC pilots in antagonistic nations like China closely. “The issuance of a CBDC in one jurisdiction … does potentially have significant effects across the globe,” she said. To that end, the Boston Federal Reserve and MIT Digital Currency Initiative plan to publish a U.S. digital dollar white paper this summer. 

2. Inflation will wane over time: Federal Reserve

Asked about inflation, Brainard cited April's Consumer Price Index (CPI) report, showing a 4.2% increase in prices year-over-year. This is a worrying figure in-and-out of the cryptocurrency industry because it shows a real impact on everyday shoppers. Brainard poured cool water on the heated talking point when saying a rise in inflation was to be expected as the U.S. economy continues to reopen. This is a continuation of what Fed Chair Jerome Powell has been saying for months, including that the central bank will let the economy run hot. Brainard added these inflationary forces will "subside over time."

3. Dalio prefers BTC to bonds

Ray Dalio, the founder of the world’s largest hedge fund, predicts that the U.S. dollar is on the verge of devaluation and could lose its position as the global reserve currency. Fearing rising inflation and the preponderance of debt in the economy, Dalio expects the Federal Reserve to resort to the new usual: more money printing to pay down debts. Under this inflationary scenario, the Bridgewater founder said he’d “rather have bitcoin than a bond,” if looking for an attractive hedge. What’s more, Dalio admitted for the first time he’s already a holder. In a bit of a Catch-22, Dalio also said “bitcoin’s greatest risk is its success.” Though it may be bitcoin’s time to shine (over gold) during a coming inflation rout, if it cuts into the government’s ability to raise funds through bonds, a swift ban might be expected. 

4. Dalio isn’t the only hodler

Wyoming Governor Mark Gordon revealed he owns cryptocurrencies while discussing the early successes of his state’s efforts to attract cryptocurrency companies and projects. “People often look to New York or Miami or Delaware before they look at Wyoming. But a lot of the pioneering work has been done here,” Gordon said. Indeed, Wyoming has set out some of the nation’s most favorable crypto laws, most recently a bill that would recognize decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs, or, bits of code) as legal entities. Does it pay to be early? Gordon listed off some of the big names that opened branches in the Cowboy State: Kraken, Ripple Labs and IOHK, the company behind Cardano. A $60 billion broadband expansion program also didn’t hurt in attracting these digital natives. 

5. Holding bitcoin is a “fiduciary” duty

Inflation was one of the common themes throughout the day’s panels. Nowhere was that more on display than during a roundtable featuring MicroStrategy CFO Phong Le, whose company has become synonymous with the buy and hold mentality. Since August, MicroStrategy has purchased $2.3 billion worth of BTC, in an attempt to get cash – a depreciating asset – off its balance sheets. Today, Le gave a little more insight. “I’m not saying you should put all of your corporate treasury in bitcoin,” he said. “But if you’re not putting any of it into bitcoin, I don’t think you’re doing your fiduciary responsibility, which is maximizing shareholder value.”

On 24/05/2021 at 10:01, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Luna and the Terra ecosystem look like they have the potential to be adopted worldwide. Already used for 7% of payments in Korea IIRC, so its use case is being proved.

Also I bought at $15 and it dropped to $4 in this crash. All price predictions were about $1000 next bull run so if you bought now you could see huge returns in 4 years.

Not an expert by any stretch, but been around long enough to know narratives like 'worldwide adoption' etc would raise major alarm bells.

In my opinion it's important to recognise that these are and always will be speculative assets. The chances of any meaningful adoption in the real world is unbelievably slim. That doesn't make them bad investments necessarily. In fact, if you play it right it can be unbelievably profitable, but if you're not careful and get caught up in thinking these can actually change the world etc it's the easiest way to getting absolutely destroyed. It's a game of musical chairs just don't be the last one holding the bag. I bought Luna at $0.20 but let it go way too early in hindsight, but that should give an idea of the type of people you could be buying off of at this point.

You also need to bin off whoever is feeding ridiculous price predictions like the one in bold. Absolute nonsense.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Not an expert by any stretch, but been around long enough to know narratives like 'worldwide adoption' etc would raise major alarm bells.

In my opinion it's important to recognise that these are and always will be speculative assets. The chances of any meaningful adoption in the real world is unbelievably slim. That doesn't make them bad investments necessarily. In fact, if you play it right it can be unbelievably profitable, but if you're not careful and get caught up in thinking these can actually change the world etc it's the easiest way to getting absolutely destroyed. It's a game of musical chairs just don't be the last one holding the bag. I bought Luna at $0.20 but let it go way too early in hindsight, but that should give an idea of the type of people you could be buying off of at this point.

You also need to bin off whoever is feeding ridiculous price predictions like the one in bold. Absolute nonsense.

Worldwide adoption is obviously fanciful in the short-medium term, but defi is 100% the future for payments. I tmight take 10-20 years though.

As an example, netflix has started accepting KRT (terras korean stablecoin) as payment from one of terra ecosystems partners, Chai payments.

It wont happen overnight, and the musical chairs point is valid, as a lot of these technologies are competing in a race, but some of them will win, and will become the future of finance.

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

But would millions buy into something that's dropped from approx £30,000 to being just above worthless? The odd speculator might but wouldn't the public steer clear?

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

For the idiots amongst us ( ie me) is Ethereum classic the same as plain ol Ethereum and if not does one price affect the other? 

The Classic is the original version, then (I think) the fella made some changes and rebranded it. Pretty sure it uses the same code/chain.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

The Classic is the original version, then (I think) the fella made some changes and rebranded it. Pretty sure it uses the same code/chain.

Thanks, i thought so. So if one goes up/down its likely the other will probably mirror it to an extent?

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Thanks, i thought so. So if one goes up/down its likely the other will probably mirror it to an extent?

Kind of I guess, they are not locked together.

This last month Classic has gained 10 to 1 vs. Ethereum.

If I had been paying attention probably would have added some ETH - a few nights ago it dipped below 1800.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If I had been paying attention probably would have added some ETH - a few nights ago it dipped below 1800.

Ahh thanks. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Isn’t that because Ethereum is worth 35 times more than the Classic though?

On 24/05/2021 at 10:01, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Luna and the Terra ecosystem look like they have the potential to be adopted worldwide. Already used for 7% of payments in Korea IIRC, so its use case is being proved.

Also I bought at $15 and it dropped to $4 in this crash. All price predictions were about $1000 next bull run so if you bought now you could see huge returns in 4 years.

Dropped $250 @ $5.39 into LUNA at 11:44 this morning.

Up around 20% in 3 hours.

Will leave it in until I double my money, take out the initial investment, then let the house money ride the rocket.