You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

This seems to be happening so often- not just bad shots, or being beaten by really good deliveries, but rank stupidity. A lot of players just have no sense at all of game management- Ali the other day being a prime example, and even Brathwaite, as he didn't need to try and win the game with a 6.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mudface said:

This seems to be happening so often- not just bad shots, or being beaten by really good deliveries, but rank stupidity. A lot of players just have no sense at all of game management- Ali the other day being a prime example, and even Brathwaite, as he didn't need to try and win the game with a 6.

Ali does it nearly every innings he plays of late. He had a decent cameo against Afghanistan, apart from that he's been shite. He is our front line spinner, but I'd move him down the order. He'll probably be dropped in the games where we only need one spinner though, he's totally out of nick. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Delighted he got out. As I am when anyone plays a fucking ridiculous shot.

Yeah, a loose drive you can live with, but these silly reverse sweeps or ramp shots like his just make one cringe. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Pakistan are 206 for 3 after 38 overs. Going to set SA 320+ here. 

Bet you Alma will be something like 20 odd off 40 odd deliveries as he scratches about for form, or out for less than 10 from 20 odd balls. 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I get what you mean but Brathwaite had his eye in and I think he was entitled to keep playing what had got him so much success. It's the same with Ben Stokes on Friday - if Wood could have stuck with him I think Stokes would have won the game in boundaries because he was in and set. 

True, I just think he could have won the game without risk- there was another over to go. Anyway, it's hard to be too critical of him given his innings up to then and it's certainly not in the same league as what Ali and some others have done.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

True, I just think he could have won the game without risk- there was another over to go. Anyway, it's hard to be too critical of him given his innings up to then and it's certainly not in the same league as what Ali and some others have done.

Agree, the way England's mid order batted was braindead. Especially Ali. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Ali has always been suspect to a brain fart whilst batting. He's so talented he doesn't need to do it though, I reckon he just wants to be that hero all the time instead of thinking as a team player. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Ali has always been suspect to a brain fart whilst batting. He's so talented he doesn't need to do it though, I reckon he just wants to be that hero all the time instead of thinking as a team player. 

I think he has a style and sticks to it. He is aggressive and I don't expect him to block out overs, but when you've got Ben Stokes at the other end, just hold your end up and let him do the talking. Balls left was never a concern for me in that Sri Lanka match because Stokes is capable of 24 in an over. It's just that nobody hung around with him. Buttler, Ali and Woakes should have tried to stick and if they had have done England would have won easily. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Agt Provocateur said:

I think he has a style and sticks to it. He is aggressive and I don't expect him to block out overs, but when you've got Ben Stokes at the other end, just hold your end up and let him do the talking. Balls left was never a concern for me in that Sri Lanka match because Stokes is capable of 24 in an over. It's just that nobody hung around with him. Buttler, Ali and Woakes should have tried to stick and if they had have done England would have won easily. 

I get what you say mate, but Ali has the natural talent to be a real good talent with the bat, he just throws his wicket away far too often. The whole middle order bar Stokes batted poorly, plus Rashid and Archer were both stupid. Maybe's it is the kick up the arse they needed because they do bounce back well and it's the Aussies up next. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Pakistan make 308 for 7, they should really have made 320-330 from where they were. Gives SA a chance if they bat well. 

Guest Pistonbroke

If Pakistan win this (and they should piss it from here) then they'll be on 5 points. They have NZ, Afghanistan and Bangladesh left to play. They could easily make the top 4 at England's expense looking at their fixtures. A lot is in the hands of NZ, and obviously England themselves. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Easy victory for Pakistan who are now back in with a chance of the Semi's. SA go home as one of the worst teams in the tournament, they have a lot of work to do and I doubt Steyn would have made a huge difference as their weakness has been their batting. 

18 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Easy victory for Pakistan who are now back in with a chance of the Semi's. SA go home as one of the worst teams in the tournament, they have a lot of work to do and I doubt Steyn would have made a huge difference as their weakness has been their batting. 

Steyn and De Villiers though...