You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (A) 20th August 3pm

Grinch

That we need a plan for deep-defending teams should have been obvious from a couple of games into his tenure.

Anyway, in the cold light of day, maybe Mane was a big loss yesterday. Still a horribly predictable and depressing performance.

It makes the non selection of Origi even more baffling.

When you are away to a long ball, physical team you need to have some physicality in the line up yourself or you are basically accepting that they will forge chances through size and strength and you are in effect expecting to outscore them.

Yesterday's line up had at most 3 outfield players ( Lovren, Klavan & Hendo ) who have any height and strength and 5 that were small and far too similar in outlook and playing method.

Can & Origi for Lallana/ Wijnaldum  & Sturridge would have given us a far better chance to my mind. I get the feeling we got a bit complacent and just thought we would overwhelm them with skill and forgot that in most away games you have to at least be level in the physical battle before skill becomes the deciding factor.

I would never play Firmino, Lallana & Coutinho in the same side unless it is a home game we expect to win fairly comfortably.

When you are away to a long ball, physical team you need to have some physicality in the line up yourself or you are basically accepting that they will forge chances through size and strength and you are in effect expecting to outscore them.

Yesterday's line up had at most 3 outfield players ( Lovren, Klavan & Hendo ) who have any height and strength and 5 that were small and far too similar in outlook and playing method.

Can & Origi for Lallana/ Wijnaldum & Sturridge would have given us a far better chance to my mind. I get the feeling we got a bit complacent and just thought we would overwhelm them with skill and forgot that in most away games you have to at least be level in the physical battle before skill becomes the deciding factor.

I would never play Firmino, Lallana & Coutinho in the same side unless it is a home game we expect to win fairly comfortably.

Firmino Lallana and Coutinho seem to do well against big teams. City Chelsea arsenal away they ve been great. I think we need to consider 2 up front for games like Burnley. They played 442 for fuck sake. Why didn't we match them with Origi and sturridge up front?

An early season defeat against a just promoted team is not unheard of.

There are areas of the team which need strengthening, but a defeat an Burnley is not the crucible on which those changes should be forged.

We were tremendous against Arsenal, we were bad at Turf Moor, that is football.

• Upvote 1

Different season same old shit I'm afraid . Just watched the highlights and I didn't see any .

No Coutinho special yesterday to get us out of the shit .

Defence all over the place and Moreno wasn't even playing till the end (alarming).

The goals they scored were gift wrapped by our fucking culpabilities .

Apart from shooting outside the box we were never gonna score .

Needed quicker ball up to the forwards to turn their defence as everything was in front of them and thus not stretching them .

Very narrow and nobody willing to take on their man or take responsibility like Gerard would of done.

Didn't bother watching the 2nd half yesterday. When he failed to changes at HT I gave up on it,

Sturridge looked shot and Firmino utterly ineffective so ranting about not selecting Origi or bringing him on wasn't going to make me feel any better, Baffling decision by Klopp tbh as was his steadfast support for Moreno after the Europa final. Neither Sturridge or Moreno deserve his faith in them. Wankers the pair of them  

• Downvote 1

An early season defeat against a just promoted team is not unheard of.

There are areas of the team which need strengthening, but a defeat an Burnley is not the crucible on which those changes should be forged.

We were tremendous against Arsenal, we were bad at Turf Moor, that is football.

That is Liverpool - not football

Do you think the top sides will be getting bummed 2-0 at Burnley this season?

We will continue to suffer defeats like yesterday and have occasional wins like at Arsenal and continue to limp along in mid table because of our inconsistency/lack of stomach for a fight away at teams who set out to frustrate us - we just can't break these teams down and seem to always gift them results.

It has been the case for years and it looks like it isn't going to change any time soon. Promotion comes with an almost guaranteed 3 points at home against us.

The top sides find a way in these games more often than not even if they play shite - we don't find a way anywhere near often enough.

That is Liverpool - not football

Do you think the top sides will be getting bummed 2-0 at Burnley this season?

We will continue to suffer defeats like yesterday and have occasional wins like at Arsenal and continue to limp along in mid table because of our inconsistency/lack of stomach for a fight away at teams who set out to frustrate us - we just can't break these teams down and seem to always gift them results.

It has been the case for years and it looks like it isn't going to change any time soon. Promotion comes with an almost guaranteed 3 points at home against us.

The top sides find a way in these games more often than not even if they play shite - we don't find a way anywhere near often enough.

You've concluded all of that after one game?  

• Upvote 1

You've concluded all of that after one game?

No - after seeing it happen year after year. It is what we do

I see nothing in the current side that suggests things are going to be any different all the hallmarks are there to suggest we will carry on in the manner we have done for years.

We'll have purple patches and look decent and we'll have lots of days like yesterday where we get dicked by shite sides.

The crushing inevitability of yesterday is the worst part...same old Liverpool, same old weaknesses.

• Upvote 2

So you're writing the season off, yeah?

I am expecting what I feared and that is a finish of between 6th and 8th which is probably just about a fair reflection of how good we are....what pisses me off is that we should be better but we seem to want to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over again.

The next 10/11 days or whatever it is until the window closes will be crucial...if we don't address the obvious, glaring, gaping holes in our squad and inject it with re-inforcements in those areas and some bollocks as well as jibbing some of the limp wristed shithouses we have then it is going to be a long hard season.

• Upvote 1

I am expecting what I feared and that is a finish of between 6th and 8th which is probably just about a fair reflection of how good we are....what pisses me off is that we should be better but we seem to want to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over again.

The next 10/11 days or whatever it is until the window closes will be crucial...if we don't address the obvious, glaring, gaping holes in our squad and inject it with re-inforcements in those areas and some bollocks as well as jibbing some of the limp wristed shithouses we have then it is going to be a long hard season.

What would you do?

What would you do?

Probably same as many talk about on here.

Buy a lb who can defend.

Buy a midfield destroyer who can sit and dictate play as well as put out fires.

Buy a striker and play him every week.

Stop lining up with a 'front 6' that has the physical presence of an under 14's girls team.

Take the armband off the passive Henderson.

• Upvote 3

Someone sayin defeat to a newly promoted side isnt unheard of? No, for Liverpool its not. It is unheard of for the likes of manchester united, chelsea, manchester city and arsenal (although arsenal are more likely to get beat like ourselves).

But that's not the point. The point is we always gift easy points to either a newly promoted side or, one of the to be relegated sides.

We never learn from it or seem capable of stopping it.

Someone sayin defeat to a newly promoted side isnt unheard of? No, for Liverpool its not. It is unheard of for the likes of manchester united, chelsea, manchester city and arsenal (although arsenal are more likely to get beat like ourselves).

But that's not the point. The point is we always gift easy points to either a newly promoted side or, one of the to be relegated sides.

We never learn from it or seem capable of stopping it.

We do seem to ship points to these sides more than other sides.

Since 2010...

Promoted sides from 2009/2010 - Newcastle, WBA, Blackpool

Our points haul against them in 2010/11 season away - lost all 3 = 0.

Promoted sides from 2010/2011 - QPR, Norwich, Swansea.

Our points haul 2011/12 season away - 3 points - 1 win, 2 defeats.

Promoted sides from 2011/12 - Reading, Southampton, West Ham.

Our points haul 2012/13 season away - 4 points - 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

Got bored at that point but there are three seasons worth of away games against promoted teams and we managed 7 pts from an available 27.....terrible stuff and i doubt it has been much better since.

• Upvote 1

Next league game can't come quick enough.

Still simmering.

Was out with a mate who supports Utd last night who was unbearably smug.

Our shiteness made for a very long evening that was only rescued by an amazing garlic chicken massala.

Although I nearly choked on my Keema Naan when he insisted Mourinho was treated unfairly at Chelsea and as a United fan he'd never had a problem with him in the past.

This is the same guy who once announced that Carrick was a better player than Alonso.....