You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

It’s less than 2 weeks to my C2C (Whitehaven to Tyneside over 3 days) ride now and the nerves are starting to kick in. I came off my bike about 3 weeks ago which knocked my training off. I’m hoping bloody mindedness will make up for what I’ve lost in miles in the saddle

That’s some ride, DD. What were you thinking about?!?

The local cricket team I follow were playing away in a Lancashire Cup tie. I put the destination in my Garmin and that's the way it took me. Got their for the last two hours of play.  Didn't fancy retracing my outward route as for some reason I prefer cycling round courses so headed home down the East Lancs.

It’s less than 2 weeks to my C2C (Whitehaven to Tyneside over 3 days) ride now and the nerves are starting to kick in. I came off my bike about 3 weeks ago which knocked my training off. I’m hoping bloody mindedness will make up for what I’ve lost in miles in the saddle

So what are the finer details of this C2C ?

I don’t know how you do those long trips all by yourself Dougie.

It’s so much easier when there’s other people to share the load.

Each to their own mate. I quite enjoy the solitude and that I can pretty much go by whatever route I want. I set of when I'm ready and go at my own pace. Thursday was a good example. I set out intending to just do a few miles and ended cycling along the North Wales coast to Llandudno and then got the train home. 

I've been a lazy bastard the last few months. I'd not done anything since the London to Brighton last September. I got into the habit of using the car for work and then my hybrid got nicked. I replaced it and it just sat there collecting dust so I had to get back on the road. 

My brothers mate told me of a quicker route on a new road through the industrial estate that isn’t opened yet which knocks a couple of miles off.

Alarm going off at 5:30 this morning and cycling in with a hangover wasn’t fun and showed in my time.

ac60e0134c2bd2972c57faf4b1e5d228.jpg

8 miles? I thought it was a 34mile round trip?

It’s easily doable in decent weather.

Just need to build up fitness and get those times down.

Why do you want to get the time down ? Anything you do shave off is hardly going to make any great difference. You'll be putting in a load more effort to shave off five or ten minutes. Just do it at a pace you are comfortable with and enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Why do you want to get the time down ? Anything you do shave off is hardly going to make any great difference. You'll be putting in a load more effort to shave off five or ten minutes. Just do it at a pace you are comfortable with and enjoy it.

More for fitness and although I’m a fat cunt, I’m a competitive fat cunt.

I'd guess with the frequency he's cycling he could get the time down to about 25-30 mins within a few weeks to a month.