You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Isn't all income inherently speculative? If I buy a farm and it's a productive asset I use for business, then aren't I speculating that i'll make money from it? Aren't I speculating that people will buy my eggs, milk and the livestock I kill? 

Pure speculation is just gambling that the resale price of an asset will increase, without any effort on the part of the owner of the asset to add value. 

Investment  (such as running a farm) carries a risk of loss, but it's not purely speculative. 

2 hours ago, Boss said:

I'm not quoting Dominic Raab. The UK creates an open border with 350m people. The UK is one of the most desirable places to live within the EU bloc. This has caused gentrification of the entirety of London and the South of England as the most affluent people within the bloc seek to live here. Thus causing the house prices within those areas to rise. I don't need a spreadsheet to deduce that because it's clear as day to see. 

Lol

• Downvote 1

Summarising the results, immigration is found to have a significant, negative impact on UK house prices. Using data for 80 local authorities in England and Wales, results suggest that an increase in the stock of immigrants equal to 1% of the local population leads to a 3.8% reduction in house prices, confirming previous findings of a negative relationship for the UK. System GMM estimates weakly supports results but more importantly highlights steps taken to find alternative solutions for the endogeneity persistent throughout. Future literature should explore this method further or alternatively consider the multiple instrumentation procedure as a solution.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/documents/research-first/luke-green.pdf

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I know, but still...

The idea that EU immigration drives gentrification and house price increases in London is a new one to me. I'd be interested to see some data to back it up.

He doesn't need a spreadsheet.  He puts on his Union Jack Princess Di commemorative glasses and suddenly it all makes sense.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Summarising the results, immigration is found to have a significant, negative impact on UK house prices. Using data for 80 local authorities in England and Wales, results suggest that an increase in the stock of immigrants equal to 1% of the local population leads to a 3.8% reduction in house prices, confirming previous findings of a negative relationship for the UK. System GMM estimates weakly supports results but more importantly highlights steps taken to find alternative solutions for the endogeneity persistent throughout. Future literature should explore this method further or alternatively consider the multiple instrumentation procedure as a solution.

Your little pdf only analyses house prices after the crash. House prices have dropped since the crash, across the board. Didn't think about that one, did you? Better luck next time.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Any significant tax increase on people in my earning bracket  or my expected pension rate would leave me pretty hard-up. I have never advocated taxes that would leave people struggling.  I have always advocated progressive taxation, where the people who are asked to pay more are those who can afford to do so and still be rich.

I like to think that if I ever had that sort of money, I'd be happy with my net income and not begrudge anyone else access to  health, education, roads, etc.

Fucking commie bastard. 

2 hours ago, Boss said:

There's no point saying we could've applied a points based system like Australia because we couldn't. The core principal of EU membership and single market access is free movement of people / labor. 

Yes, eventually gentrification of London would've happened anyway, similar to New York. But that doesn't negate the fact that EU national immigration to the UK outnumbers the rest of the world combined and affluent EU nationals moved to London, displacing poor people from their homes and the surrounding area. It hastened the pace with which it happened and was a genuine factor. 

That’s not right. London is the financial capital of the country (and the world) by design, and with that comes growth, gentrification, and migration (EU or otherwise).

37 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Also you might want to point out that it purposely excludes London - which it says had a 69% rise in house prices during that time. And seeing that I was specifically talking about London, it kind of makes the whole thing pointless now, doesn't it?

It doesn't include the period where the housing market grew, and it doesn't include the specific city I was talking about either - which it acknowledges has increased exponentially. But then again you'd know that if you read it, rather than spamming google for a pdf in-between writing childish insults.

18 minutes ago, Boss said:

Your little pdf only analyses house prices after the crash. House prices have dropped since the crash, across the board. Didn't think about that one, did you? Better luck next time.

Still, at least it's empirical evidence from an expert.  A bit better than the imaginary stats you plucked out of your derrière. Which alt-right podcast told you that it was da immurgants wot did it?

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If I were to pluck factoids from my bum, they would suggest that the majority of EU migrants to the UK would be poorly-paid plebs in the service industries and the public sector; not the sort of people who are driving gentrification. 

Nah mate, it's dem Poles coming over here, picking our strawberries and buying up half of Kensington.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I hope Jezza does something anti-semitic today to get this thread back on track.

He doesn't need to do anything, we can just imply.

He won't won't come on this website but he will speak to Hamas, IRA, etc. 

Confirms everything, if you ask me. FACT.

• Upvote 1