You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do we break teams down at home?

old skool tom

2 up top like the year we almost won the League?

Always play Benteke and dink balls into box and have men around him trying to win the 2nd ball?

Or is it just simply buy a couple of Worldys who can go past people and provide individual brilliance?

Almost every team seen to have mastered the counter attack tactic these days.I think we (and most other teams) may just have to accept that scrappy frustrating edgey 1-0s instead of exciting goalfests on home turf for the foreseeable future sadly

Fast explosive starts with lots of tricky fast players will get early set pieces/goals and then the whole tactical dynamic changes as teams that are a goal down can't sit so deep. Basically, what we did in 13/14. Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe and especially Sturridge are crucial, in my view.

• Upvote 1

Fast explosive starts with lots of tricky fast players will get early set pieces/goals and then the whole tactical dynamic changes as teams that are a goal down can't sit so deep. Basically, what we did in 13/14. Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe and especially Sturridge are crucial, in my view.

True.

I think it's also important to trust your talent and keep the pressure on even if you don't score early. Make the other team feel they are the ones under increasing pressure to hold out, rather than feeling the pressure to score.

Then put one or two away.

True.

I think it's also important to trust your talent and keep the pressure on even if you don't score early. Make the other team feel they are the ones under increasing pressure to hold out, rather than feeling the pressure to score.

Then put one or two away.

Mentality is huge and probably the single biggest factor in what Klopp has done so far, in my view.

Mentality is huge and probably the single biggest factor in what Klopp has done so far, in my view.

Yep. The players all seem to think he's great, bar Sturridge maybe, and his talk about learning how to win from behind after Palace seemed to come through almost immediately. Also being surprised at being 3-0 up after City, then we go and batter 6 past Southampton.

Pretty much everything he's said we need to improve mentality wise gets sorted pretty quickly so far. Long term remains to be seen obviously.

Also mentality has been our single biggest issue for decades, in my view - even more than recruitment (because Klopp is now proving that players who'd been written off can play well when focused and confident). That improved mentality is what makes me to optimistic about the future under this bloke. It's infinitely more fundamental than any hipster shite about "gegenpressing".
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I reckon practising corners and free kicks a bit more would help.

Deffo. In some ways though I'd argue even that is about confidence and concentration. Certainly, the paucity and inconsistency of set piece deliveries bears no relation to the technique of the players taking them.

The view that mentality is crucial is also born out by the use of the diamond formation on Wednesday. Kloppo said they decided on it that morning and then did one session on it. The fact that it took almost immediately without loads of drilling speaks volumes about the way the players feel under this bloke: they trust him implicitly to follow new instructions (even the biggest apparent lone wolf, Sturridge, was hugging that left hand touchline in the split front two during the first half) and their focus (managed in-game by Klopp's constant shouting) is increasingly maintained thereby avoiding silly errors.

• Upvote 1

Iv

I reckon practising corners and free kicks a bit more would help.

I've often wondered why teams don't try new routines at corners. Surely all the advanced coaching these days can come up with something other than stick it in the box and hope for the best. Teams work on free kicks round the box , why not corners?

The only one I can think of is united and scholes volleys from the edge of the box.

Also mentality has been our single biggest issue for decades, in my view - even more than recruitment (because Klopp is now proving that players who'd been written off can play well when focused and confident). That improved mentality is what makes me to optimistic about the future under this bloke. It's infinitely more fundamental than any hipster shite about "gegenpressing".

Haha. Typical British nonsense. All about leadership, character and giving it 110%.

Moreno did an interview the other week where he said the work Klopp does on training is really boring and tactical. Constantly training pressing triggers and pressing positions etc. Confidence comes from good tactics, not the other way around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The negative Anfield atmosphere - deafening silence, followed by a tangible air of anxiety if we're not 3 up after 20 minutes - has a part to play in the difference between our home and away performances.

• Upvote 2

Haha. Typical British nonsense. All about leadership, character and giving it 110%.

Moreno did an interview the other week where he said the work Klopp does on training is really boring and tactical. Constantly training pressing triggers and pressing positions etc. Confidence comes from good tactics, not the other way around.

So you're dismissing the notion that mentality goes a long way at a club like Liverpool?

So you're dismissing the notion that mentality goes a long way at a club like Liverpool?

I'm dismissing the notion that Klopp has changed lifelong character traits in 6 weeks. Football is a deeply strategic and tactical game. I don't know why British people have such a hard time processing this, or react with such disdain towards it. It certainly goes a long way to explain the relative lack of success of the national team, though.

"Lifelong character traits"???

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's changed that.  (Although I am intrigued by the way you have carried out a decades-long psychological profile of every member of the squad.)  But it's pretty obvious that some managers can reinforce a player's self-belief and confidence better than other managers can.

"Lifelong character traits"???

I don't think anyone is suggesting he's changed that. (Although I am intrigued by the way you have carried out a decades-long psychological profile of every member of the squad.) But it's pretty obvious that some managers can reinforce a player's self-belief and confidence better than other managers can.

Rodgers used to do mostly 5-a-side games in training. Klopp does exclusively tactical work. It's not a coincidence.

British? Nonsense? The psychology of top class sport is about a million miles from either. I'm talking about leadership not being a big gob in the dressing room. Of course tactics are important but if you think training ground drills are more important than communication and motivation, you don't understand what great leaders do.

This bloke is a rare breed: someone who can instantly make human connections with people from a position of power. Yes he's a football man, but there's a reason why he's in charge and his two assistants, whom he calls his "brain" and his "eyes", deal with the nitty gritty of coaching and scouting.

I'm dismissing the notion that Klopp has changed lifelong character traits in 6 weeks. Football is a deeply strategic and tactical game. I don't know why British people have such a hard time processing this, or react with such disdain towards it. It certainly goes a long way to explain the relative lack of success of the national team, though.

My disdain was not directed at tactics or coaching; it was directed at those who think it's everything. When opposing coaches start to look at what he's doing and develop tactical plans to overcome it, what will give us the extra edge is self-belief. You could be coached by a combination of Rinus Michels, Pep Guardiola and Arrigo Sacchi but if you don't feel positive or confident about yourself and your teammates then you'll lose.