You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris shootings

Lee909

It sounds like you have issues with the quality of the analysis more than anything, which I don't necessarily disagree with.

The mere fact that we're having this discussion proves that it's not ignorance.

The whole situation (terrorism, religion etc) is so complex that people don't feel as if they're in any position to do much about it, is my general view. You can call it ignorance but I think that's being unfair, personally.

As I said in my first post I didn't mean everyone, and I certainly didn't mean you. But I'd suggest you might not be typical. We're having this conversation, but I'm not sure that'll be the case for most of the people on Facebook that have changed their picture. It's just a thing to do on Facebook. 

I think if people were aware enough that they didn't know much, and they cared, then they'd do something about it. I'd love to be as optimistic as you are here, I really would.

As I said in my first post I didn't mean everyone, and I certainly didn't mean you. But I'd suggest you might not be typical. We're having this conversation, but I'm not sure that'll be the case for most of the people on Facebook that have changed their picture. It's just a thing to do on Facebook.

I think if people were aware enough that they didn't know much, and they cared, then they'd do something about it. I'd love to be as optimistic as you are here, I really would.

Believe me mate, i'm as cynical and pessimistic as they come! I do, however, choose to believe that people are intrinsically "good". Where they see injustice or hardship they'll try to help or at least display sympathy, empathy etc and I see the French flag filter thing as merely that.

The key is in the "seeing" bit and that's where the media comes in. People aren't necessarily ignorant by default or on purpose, a lot of it comes down to the media (although as I say I still think that shared cultures and proximity will always have an impact).

It's a fucked up world mate. If we spent all of our time thinking about that fact then life wouldn't be worth living.

• Upvote 2

Believe me mate, i'm as cynical and pessimistic as they come! I do, however, choose to believe that people are intrinsically "good". Where they see injustice or hardship they'll try to help or at least display sympathy, empathy etc and I see the French flag filter thing as merely that.

The key is in the "seeing" bit and that's where the media comes in. People aren't necessarily ignorant by default or on purpose, a lot of it comes down to the media (although as I say I still think that shared cultures and proximity will always have an impact).

It's a fucked up world mate. If we spent all of our time thinking about that fact then life wouldn't be worth living.

Yeah, I certainly agree with that. Both on people being intrinsically good and the media doing it's best to change that. 

I just think that if more people thought about just how fucked the world is a little bit more then we'd have more chance of doing something about it.

I do think we've made small steps since Corbyn was elected (or actually just before). The fact a quarter of a million people voted for him despite a truly hateful campaign against him from the entirety of the media is a positive. People are distrusting the mainstream media more, which is definitely a good thing.

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke

Unfortunately too many people take things at face value, they can't think for themselves and need the supposed safety net for everything. They go along with shit like the snoopers charter as they truly believe it is for their own personal safety. 

No surprises Rico negged this post, did I hit a nerve you wannabe middle class Tory cunt? 

If I was expecting a balanced report on the Paris massacre,the Lebanon massacre,terrorism in general or religion being used to foster support for murders of innocent people Facebook is NOT the place I would go to get it. In fact its why I avoid Social Media unless I simply need to.

But why do you expect to see that in the first place? Do you reckon that Facebook users in and around Lebanon are talking about Paris as much as their own tragedy?

If I was expecting a balanced report on the Paris massacre,the Lebanon massacre,terrorism in general or religion being used to foster support for murders of innocent people Facebook is NOT the place I would go to get it. In fact its why I avoid Social Media unless I simply need to.

Why not? You just need to follow the right people.

Clown!!!!

How about we test your amazing idea about voting and ask the public if we should bomb Syria and close all our borders?

Well given, one, we are already bombing syria, (didnt work), and the only attacker Ive seen confirmed an identity of, was from south paris Im not sure closing borders will help either your point or the bullet riddled bodies.

I think on both counts your motions would not pass but youd be free to put your solutions up for voting on, from your poor analysis which appears to have backtracked from muslims are the problem to religion being the problem, to bombing syria or closing borders being some sort of solution, needs practice, but you dont live in a democracy which is probably why you are a bit crap at saying anything that isnt quickly whittled down to nothingness by the lightest scrutiny of others.

• Downvote 1

But why do you expect to see that in the first place? Do you reckon that Facebook users in and around Lebanon are talking about Paris as much as their own tragedy?

No, thats the point isnt it though, the media causes this downgrading of victims in order to whip up support for more wars and bombings of third world countries which will lead us back to terrorist attacks. Im pretty sure people who get bombed and shot a lot will sympathise with our victims, since we dont get bombed and shot as much we dont tend to sympathise with their victims so much. Its ok if it happens to them but not us, e.i hypocrits, a term coined by jesus.

Wtf is the point of bombing it now? even though we have been and gaining nothing!! maybe we should not of gone meddling with things in the 1st place in the middle east all those years ago in Iraq than Afghanistan and leaving things worse than before... hopefully Haliburton do well off it though... (oh I see they already did!!).. did we get to vote on that Iaq one? I remember a big march....

I didn't say bombing was a good idea.