You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

• 2 weeks later...

I might be wrong here, but I'm sure when there was a walkout to do with ticket prices and FSG reversed their decision to increase prices they issued a statement including something along the lines of "the fans should be careful what they wish for". Am I imagining this?

I think it was Ian Ayre who said that in an interview when he was leaving. The Echo did a cringeworthy series of interviews with him reflecting on his "successful" time as CEO.

Yes, remember it now. Interesting thing is that people are generally their most honest when they have less to lose. He would never have said that if he was staying on.

I might be wrong here, but I'm sure when there was a walkout to do with ticket prices and FSG reversed their decision to increase prices they issued a statement including something along the lines of "the fans should be careful what they wish for". Am I imagining this?

Yes. The club said nothing of the sort.

That's the story, ever since that fan backlash I have felt as though there has been a tendency to focus on generating revenue from other areas than the ticket prices.Perhaps it's a cynical interpretation of events but it seems as though there have been opportunities to improve the playing squad that have not been taken.

Maybe this is what he was referring to, maybe it wasn't.

Thanks for finding it, anyway!

That's the story, ever since that fan backlash I have felt as though there has been a tendency to focus on generating revenue from other areas than the ticket prices.Perhaps it's a cynical interpretation of events but it seems as though there have been opportunities to improve the playing squad that have not been taken.

Maybe this is what he was referring to, maybe it wasn't.

Thanks for finding it, anyway!

To be fair that was only last year, we've been holding back on a few windows before then.

The relationship with FSG was never love - it couldn't be, but it should have been mutually beneficial. I think we had that for a while but now I'm not so sure. I do think something broke with the ticket thing and since then they've not even pretended to show their affection. It's business, no more no less.

They felt a bit of steel or resolve from the fans but I half wonder if it's not being reciprocated. They are not being overt about it, as that would be bad for business, but you get the sense that they aren't exactly extending themselves in seeking sporting success.

If they have been holding themselves back and waiting for the right moment i.e. CL qualification, then I could get on board with that. Now that we are there, qualifier notwithstanding, it's time to speculate to accumulate. But is that what they want to do?

I have a nagging feeling that they are content to just keep an appreciating asset ticking over. We will know more soon enough.