You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wouldn't worry about stuff like that, it's men against boys now, the coalition against Johnson will have legal advice up the arse and the EU behind the scenes will be fully briefed and on-board. 

It was clear watching question time the other day, for the first time I can remember the other opposition parties weren't sticking the boot into labour. They were all going for Johnson the man and Cummings.

Yeah, they left that to Fiona Bruce.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

If Corbyn calls for a vote of no confidence and wins that, does he then get to decide the date of the election, as opposed to Johnson naming the date when he called for the election last week?

Nah. He's got 14 days to put together an alternative government. If not then it goes to election, not sure if it would be up to BoJo to choose the date or its like a predetermined time after the VONC.

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It's always been that way -- plenty of Peace and Lovers from the late 60's are now Republicans.

Yes, but due to Brexit a lot more younger people are getting involved in politics due to the obvious reasons.  

4 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Desperate times.........

Tories bid to depose Speaker Bercow after Commons revolt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49624334

He'd probably still win. 

I miss seeing his Mrs in the media. Talked too much but a piece she was. Great ass and as game as they come.

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

Nah. He's got 14 days to put together an alternative government. If not then it goes to election, not sure if it would be up to BoJo to choose the date or its like a predetermined time after the VONC.

But the key is if Corbyn (or another the labour party can get behind) can form a government, they can choose the date as well as being able to handle the negotiations with the EU to gain the extension. I don't see any temporary government having the support of parliament to do anything else. I would be amazed of Corbyn could rally enough around him to get that vote. 

I am sure that if Corbyn was made figurehead strictly to push the extension through and get an election on the go it would be with a 'cabinet' of all the other leaders and the minute he veered a centimetre from anything they all agreed he would be toast anyway so can't really understand the squeamishness about just getting on with it.

A possible issue is there are some noises are about possibly readmitting the Tory rebels and can't see the ones who have not said they are standing down anyway committing fully to a VONC if this is being dangled in the background.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

And everyone's just fine with an unelected leader taking over the country and refusing to acquiesce an election, are they?

Yes, in the same way that you're just fine with an unelected leader shutting down Parliament, or at least trying to, and plunging the country into no deal deep shit.

Don't worry, anyway. You'll get your election and then you can start salivating at the prospect of a Tory/Brexit Party dream team.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Yes, in the same way that you're just fine with an unelected leader shutting down Parliament, or at least trying to, and plunging the country into no deal deep shit.

Don't worry, anyway. You'll get your election and then you can start salivating at the prospect of a Tory/Brexit Party dream team.

I'm not actually. I want that unelected leader to face the public and have an election to get a democratic mandate one way or the other. It's the Remainers that want an unelected leader, squatting in number 10, refusing to acquiesce an election to filibuster Brexit - and each consecutive deadline. 

I suppose, once you turn your back on democracy, and refuse to acknowledge the result of a democratic referendum, then this kind of stuff seems entirely justifiable. Logic and sense left the building a long time ago where Remainers are concerned. 

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I'm not actually. I want that unelected leader to face the public and have an election to get a democratic mandate one way or the other. It's the Remainers that want an unelected leader, squatting in number 10, refusing to acquiesce an election to filibuster Brexit - and each consecutive deadline. 

I suppose, once you turn your back on democracy, and refuse to acknowledge the result of a democratic referendum, then this kind of stuff seems entirely justifiable. Logic and sense left the building a long time ago where Remainers are concerned. 

I'm a Remainer but reluctantly accept that the result should be implemented.  It's the "how" I'm concerned with.  I've discussed this with you before and you were cool with no deal not long ago.  Not shitting the bed, are we?

14 hours ago, Champions of Europe said:

Both of our main political parties are a mess, they both could split in two. 

The Tory Party could split in two, top to bottom.  The hundreds of thousands of people who joined the Labour Party because they support the labour movement are unlikely to go anywhere. Some of the anachronistic Blair-era MPs might call it a day; that's all.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

What if Corbyn decides, once he's in power, that he doesn't want to call an election?

I hope he doesn't. I hope he suspends freedom of the press and freedom of speech and association.  Nationalises the banks, puts Prince Andrew in prison and turns Rico's house into a borstal.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Boss said:

You don't half chat some shite. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm a Remainer but reluctantly accept that the result should be implemented.  It's the "how" I'm concerned with.  I've discussed this with you before and you were cool with no deal not long ago.  Not shitting the bed, are we?

With all due respect, you shouldn't have a say on how. Your side lost. Democracy is majority rule.

• Downvote 3