Quantcast
The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412) - Page 87 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
bouncebrigade

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

But that isn't what has or will happen though, is it? What's happened is that a collection of some of the biggest cunts on the planet have seized an opportunity to try and look like slightly lesser cunts for a brief period.

The cynical part of me would probably agree with you but that's not Sterling's fault.  He can only say or do what he thinks is best when he perceives racist sentiments towards black players.  For that, I respect him.

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The cynical part of me would probably agree with you but that's not Sterling's fault.  He can only say or do what he thinks his best when he perceives racist sentiments towards black players.  For that, I respect him.

I'm not saying it is his fault. I just don't believe the award is a reflection of anyone's believe that he's the best player in the country (which he clearly isn't), nor is it some sign of respect for what he's said regarding racism.

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'm not saying it is his fault. I just don't believe the award is a reflection of anyone's believe that he's the best player in the country (which he clearly isn't), nor is it some sign of respect for what he's said regarding racism.

For me there's an objective argument that he's been one of the best attacking players this season based on the numbers he's putting up for goals/assists and his all round game, which has matured considerably under Guardiola. 

It may or may not be a sign of respect for his views promoting anti-racism, I don't know either way, but assuming you're correct then I still don't begrudge him the award.  I just think it reflects better on us Liverpool fans in this instance if we say "fair enough, well played".  It makes us look a bit petty and smalltime otherwise. 

I just don’t think, objectively, he’s been city’s best player, or better than a number of our best players. He’s had a great season, fair enough, well played, and he made a stand on racism - good to see. Lots of players are taking a principled stance on the issue and that’s very welcome.