You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

52 minutes ago, Boss said:

Has anyone got a Barbour Beaufort Wax jacket? I like the idea of them but I'm afraid of looking like one of the Dingles. 

I’ve had various Barbour wax jackets, but stopped wearing them when I moved to Yorkshire, as far too many whoppers wear them. The Beaufort won’t keep you warm in winter unless you buy a zip in liner to go with it.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Has anyone got a Barbour Beaufort Wax jacket? I like the idea of them but I'm afraid of looking like one of the Dingles. 

I've had a couple of Barbour waxies (not the Beaufort mind, they're mostly worn by earnest PPE students around here). I've found the silkoyl waxed fabric harder wearing and easlier to re-wax and keep looking smart that the cotton..

Don't worry about looking like a Dingle, Farmers around here wear Shoffel.

Got this from tog24 in Cheshire oaks, it's pretty smart and warm.

Hard to find a balance with winter coats though. A thinner craghoppers hooded insulated coat I've got isn't warm enough, but this can be too warm, walked up the shops the other day and was sweating buckets.

61856_WATS003_1_390x.jpg

10 hours ago, Mook said:

I fell out with Ginger Baker's daughter about this shit recently. She started a website to sell Ginger Baker merchandise & I (very politely) said I'd like to buy a t-shirt but would like to see a size guide on the site because everything was small, medium & large. Anyway she was quite rude about it and told me to go and Google a size guide so I told her to get fucked.

In other news, I got this jacket, down from £250 to £75. Hopefully it stays mild for a bit because it's not built for winter.

https://www.fredperry.com/made-in-england-waxed-tennis-bomber-j4310-408.html

What lovely, helpful customer service. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Got this from tog24 in Cheshire oaks, it's pretty smart and warm.

Hard to find a balance with winter coats though. A thinner craghoppers hooded insulated coat I've got isn't warm enough, but this can be too warm, walked up the shops the other day and was sweating buckets.

61856_WATS003_1_390x.jpg

You're taller than I imagined.

12 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Nice. Is that regular Carhartt, or their Work In Progress brand? 

Been looking at the old work wear Detroit jacket. They're supposed to be pretty indestructible and age nicely with scuffs and things.

No expert mate. Think it’s WIP, but not 100%. Carhartt gear is generally built to last in my experience. Had that jacket for about 6 years and it looks no different.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mook said:

I fell out with Ginger Baker's daughter about this shit recently. She started a website to sell Ginger Baker merchandise & I (very politely) said I'd like to buy a t-shirt but would like to see a size guide on the site because everything was small, medium & large. Anyway she was quite rude about it and told me to go and Google a size guide so I told her to get fucked.

In other news, I got this jacket, down from £250 to £75. Hopefully it stays mild for a bit because it's not built for winter.

https://www.fredperry.com/made-in-england-waxed-tennis-bomber-j4310-408.html

Wouldn’t buy it. Would buy something better.

Kind regards,

Vlad 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Boss said:

I've got a Corbridge, but then I'm ancient and I don't give a fuck what I look like.   I've got a full length one as well, though I can't remember what that's called.  

13 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Thinking of getting an over coat/trench coat to go over my school wear (shirt, tie, braces) but don't want to look like a spiv or a Matrix cosplay virgin.  Just want it to be shower proof as not out for long periods. Any suggestions?

Get an overcoat. A trench coat may get you removed from school premises.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Bought a bomber jacket, just a standard black one like neo Nazis wear with the zip on the arm and me Mrs reckons I'm too old for it. The fuck?

That's woman code for 'You look like you might annex Poland in that.'.

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

I desperately want Vincent Gallo's leather jacket in Buffalo 66 but I can't find out what the fuck it is. It looks kind of similar to an old Schott Cafe Racer jacket, but it's got diagonal lines in it, so it's not. 

BUFFALO.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Great film that.

• Upvote 1

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-gotham-jacket-4m8f?variationId=7D6&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi9mPBhCJARIsAHchl1zZIkURffzvcVHeEcd9km3AYoolc3v8ZhCXV9VYjdEaj97mONOJdagaAnGhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Got one of these for crimbo off my mum and dad. Got it at Cheshire Oaks too so it was a lot cheaper than the RRP.

Amazing coat and great for chilly days.