You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

By you it might go significantly colder but down here it will rarely become cold enough for a heavy coat.

Surely people should be free to discuss & wear big winter jackets if that's what they want to wear during the winter, or any other time they feel like it.

The John 'I'm so hard I wear a vest & flip flops in January' Rambo brigade can always start another thread for light padded jackets or whatever.

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bought a new Superdry one from the catalogue to replace my old Superdry one and the Superdry one before that. 

I am common as fuck. 

Chatting to a bloke in the superdry shop who said people were always bringing them back because they're not waterproof. Dunno why that made me laugh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's never cold enough for more than a light padded jacket in this country any more. Protection from rain with a quilted stuffing is all we need nowadays.

You should take a trip to Glasgow in January and February in your light padded jacket.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Blimey! Was only commenting on how warm it is and a winter coat discussion seemed a bit odd.  Didn't know it was going to kick off.  I apologise. 

Don't be getting between these lads and their threads. Amount of times I've had to Google 400 quid Harrington jackets once worn by Paul Newman. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't be getting between these lads and their threads. Amount of times I've had to Google 400 quid Harrington jackets once worn by Paul Newman. 

Indeed.  Rookie mistake.  I'll stick to drooling over the content of MILF's thread and calling Dan Wootton a cunt. 

The thing is, I don't think cricket is necessary but I don't go the cricket thread to moan about how unnecessary I think it all is.

If you think winter is too warm for winter coats & jackets, that's fantastic but why bother with this thread? 

Sweaty bastards.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Surely people should be free to discuss & wear big winter jackets if that's what they want to wear during the winter, or any other time they feel like it.

The John 'I'm so hard I wear a vest & flip flops in January' Rambo brigade can always start another thread for light padded jackets or whatever.

I feel the cold as much as anybody mate and I really enjoy the crisp,cold and clear days as they kill off germs and all sorts as well as make you feel invigorated. Unfortunately they are hecoming far too rare and there just doesnt seem a need for heavy coats any more. Nice light jackets and coats can be had though too that are dead warm too. I do sweat life a twat though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Winter coats?  It's fucking 17 degrees outside! Shorts weather! 

I’m going to my uncle’s funeral on Friday. I was thinking of wearing a black outfit and my camel coat…and then I checked the weather for Buckinghamshire. 17 degrees forecast for Friday. It’s a different climate altogether 

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

If you'd bought something decent instead of the first one, you'd still have it. 

I’ve still got the first one! It’ll be going to Kenya with my missus’ mate which is where all of our old clothes go. 

Fuck knows what use a Kenyan will have for a big heavy coat with three layers/zips. 

47 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Are the people with super warm coats still wearing hats, scarves and gloves?

I wear all three when it gets properly cold.

I'm not a fan of the cold at all, I'd wear a nuclear blast if it was practical.

I fell in love with good winter coats about 2012 I think. I'd only ever worn wool coats with a zip up wool cardie or whatever underneath and was always fucking freezing.

I remember that winter when it snowed for weeks and was -18 or something at one point, and I had a t shirt, shirt, jumper, wool coat and was still fucking cold. 

Then I spotted a parka in millets, was only cheap, Peter Storm I think, it looked boss and was warm as fuck. I could just put it on over a shirt for work and I could have trecked the poles in the motherfucker.

Being warm when you're supposed to be cold is magnificent.

• Upvote 2

I bought a wax barbour a few weeks ago, very dark brown, its nice everytime I put it on I've said it's way too fucking warm and put on a light jacket. I reckon as soon as its cold enough my missus will be like "where you going" and ill shout as I run past "I'm just going out to play" until then it sits in the cupboard under the stairs mocking me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Champ said:

I’m going to my uncle’s funeral on Friday. I was thinking of wearing a black outfit and my camel coat…and then I checked the weather for Buckinghamshire. 17 degrees forecast for Friday. It’s a different climate altogether 

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Cath. I'm off down to Sheffield next week, not sure what to take, apart from plenty of vaccinations and a gas mask.

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Cath. I'm off down to Sheffield next week, not sure what to take, apart from plenty of vaccinations and a gas mask.

Is yours a funeral too?

Cliff still has Covid so I’ve been testing every day for a week. Just one more day