You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

580 million reasons to be cheerful - New stand naming rights sale?

ratcatcher

Reading you talk about syntax, is like reading Jimmy Savile discussing child protection.

Your failure to understand what you read ( income and attendance are two things, plural ) hinders your contributions. If you want to take me on it is wise to do so without compounding your embarrassment.

By contrast what you see at the game is well presented, stick to what you are good at.

My point about the Kop, is that the revamp is some quarter of a century old, the guts older still. As a stand, it still does its job. Have stand facilities and fan expectations (as well as income generating opportunities) moved on? Of course they have. The lower tier of the Centenary, of a similar vintage, demonstrates the issues even more starkly. After 25 years are many things showing their age? Yes.

Nowhere did I mention a 25 year guillotine? Fact.

Inventing positions in order to debunk them as you do is best done on your own, doing so because you don’t understand what you are reading is quite sad. What you dismiss as jibberish is called joined up writing.

Your previous Malapropism of moot and mute should cause you to consider your judgement more carefully, and use "mute" more often.

Tellingly you started this thread, as you do others, by quoting third parties, with no substantive opinion of your own. On topic, I think few will care what the new stand is branded as, if FSG can claw back some of the redevelopment costs, good luck to them.

Ha ha!

Spade officially in the ground.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/175916-photo-main-stand-redevelopment-begins

Construction firm Carillion started their first day on site at Anfield as the redevelopment of the Main Stand took its first steps on Monday morning.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pictures-work-officially-starts-liverpool-8244070

JS52519275.jpg

• 1 month later...

Liverpool set for revenue surge of £25m per year after Anfield expansion

• Expansion of main Anfield stand is set to be completed in time for 2016-17 
  • Capacity will be increased from just shy of 45,500 to 54,000
  • Liverpool expect to earn an extra £25m per year from the expansion
  • Extra seats will bring in £20m with a further £5m from sponsorship

By Nick Harris for MailOnline

Published: 11:31, 14 January 2015 | Updated: 13:59, 14 January 2015

Liverpool have revealed they expect their income to surge by £25m a year when their expanded main stand opens next year. Around £20m of that cash will come from 8,500 extra seats, including 4,500 corporate seats.

The club also hope to make £5m a year from getting a naming rights sponsor for the stand - while keeping the name Anfield for the ground as a whole. Extra income could also follow because the new Anfield will be eligible and fit to stage major European club finals.

The details are revealed in an interview with Liverpool’s chief executive Ian Ayre in the new edition of FC Business magazine. Liverpool desperately need extra match-day income to help them catch up with major rivals already housed in much bigger stadiums, not least Manchester United and Arsenal.

24B015C500000578-2909725-Stadium_expansi

Stadium expansion work began in December on the redevelopment of the Main Stand at Anfield

24B015C100000578-2909725-By_the_start_of

By the start of the 2016-17 season it is expected that the stadium redevelopment will be completed

A 'NEW' ANFIELD BY NUMBERS 

45,000 - Anfield's current capacity

54,000 - Capacity after initial expansion 

58,800 - Potential capacity after second phase

8,500 - Phase one to extend the Main Stand

4,500 - Phase two to extend Anfield Road end 

£75m - cost of extension by 2016/17 season 

£260m - cost of overall regeneration in Anfield

Anfield’s current capacity is just shy of 45,500 and the first phase of expansion - with building work just underway - will take that to 54,000 by the start of the 2016-17 season. A second phase could see the Anfield Road Stand expanded later by a further 4,800 seats.

The expansion will cost £100m but the club will reap the benefits in the medium term. Ayre insists that adding a sizable amount of higher-priced corporate seats, often known as ‘prawn sandwich’ places, is key to the scheme’s viability.

‘Corporate hospitality revenues are essential,’ Ayre says. ‘If we had increased capacity by 8,500 general admission seats only, it would have taken a ridiculous time to pay back the investment, meaning revenues into the team would have been affected.

‘But the large corporate increase means we will pay the debt back quickly and not be saddled with debt, while quickly increasing revenues into the playing squad. 

24B0159300000578-2909725-Liverpool_s_new

Liverpool's new Main Stand will be made up of three tiers and will include premium seating for Reds fans

24B015A100000578-2909725-The_Main_Stand_

The Main Stand will have two new tiers added to take the capacity to over 53,000 by start of 2016-17 season

‘The club wants the return on investment as quickly as makes sense. Liverpool has to be sustainable. We have formulated a model that gives a fast return of the capital expenditure over five to six years, but that will also allow the club to enjoy some benefits from the expansion even before that time. Beyond the five or six years, we will of course really see more revenues on the bottom line.’

Liverpool’s American owners Fenway Sports Group, who also own US baseball team the Boston Red Sox and successfully modernised their Fenway Park Stadium, are effectively lending Liverpool the stadium expansion money in the form of an interest-free loan, bypassing the need to meet crippling bank charges.

The £5m-a-year potential income in naming rights is an estimate floated by experts in that field. Ayre says: ‘The commercial department is in talks with various people. We didn’t think that looking for a naming rights deal on a stadium as iconic as Anfield made sense, but there are real value and benefits to be had around a naming rights deal on the new stand. 

24B0158500000578-0-image-a-7_14212348685

There was plenty of building activity from workers on the opening day of the Anfield Main Stand redevelopment

‘It is not just a question of how much a deal is worth, but more about which deal would allow the club and partner to enjoy the most benefit.’

Not only will the club benefit enormously from the expansion, so will the wider area, with local regeneration directly creating 360 new long-term jobs according to economists.

The numbers exclude construction and supply chain jobs, which, if included would see 770 jobs created. The redevelopment will also allow Liverpool to host international fixtures and European finals in the future. UEFA insist upon at least a 50,000-capacity stadium, corporate accommodation and a minimum standard for players and match officials’ changing rooms - which will all be passed once the first phase has been completed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

How are they not extending it then?

They're just not mate. I can't explain it, but they're not. I'll not believe it when I see it. It'll be photoshop.

• Upvote 1

They're just not mate. I can't explain it, but they're not. I'll not believe it when I see it. It'll be photoshop.

Ah, ok.

Meanwhile.....

Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre: 'American owners won't sell up'
ian-ayre-liverpool.jpg
© Getty Images

By Danielle Joynson, Staff Reporter

Filed: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 14:09 UK

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 14:09 UK

Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre has insisted that owners Fenway Sports Group have no plans to sell the club.

The American group, which is led by businessman John W Henry, have begun construction on Anfield to expand the Merseyside ground's capacity to 54,000 seats.

Due to the offloading of a number of high-earning players in the last few months, there have been suggestions that the owners are making improvements in order to sell the Premier League outfit.

However, Ayre has told FC Business magazine: "Fenway are not going to dispose of the club as they are clearly demonstrating." The Anfield redevelopment is due to be finalised midway through the 2016-17 season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think they are actively looking to sell but I do think they club is available.

Its a investment for them,they are not here because they love the club.

Pretty much every privately owned club is available, isn't it really. I think they'd sell, but so would most people who owned the club including the owner before last.

I don't think they are actively looking to sell but I do think they club is available.

Its a investment for them,they are not here because they love the club.

Id dont think they are looking to sell. I think you'd find probably 16 clubs in the PL would be sold if a good enough offer was made to their owners even though only Villa (to my knowledge) is actively for sale.

Pretty much every privately owned club is available, isn't it really. I think they'd sell, but so would most people who owned the club including the owner before last.

Totally agree. If someone offered me an overly ambitious price for my gaff Id sell.

No doubt the club will be a more attractive proposition to a buyer when the development is completed. That doesnt mean any new buyer is going to be better than FSG. They could turn out to be glazers or the two cowboys mark 2.

There was an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about how few buyers there are for football clubs.

I suppose many of us just tend to think someone's out there who will want to buy a club, but all in all it's an extremely small market, and not a particularly profitable one either.

In the grand scheme on money making investments, footballs pretty low down on the list, and given the amount of hassle that comes with it, it's just not worth it for most.

In the grand scheme on money making investments, footballs pretty low down on the list, and given the amount of hassle that comes with it, it's just not worth it for most.

Understatement there.

Probably right between starting a Brewpub with school buddies and grooming your daughter as a professional tennis player.

Who the fuck cares what the shite say?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpools-us-owners-plan-stadium-sign-that-will-put-manchester-uniteds-in-the-shade-9981718.html

Liverpool's US owners plan stadium sign that will put Manchester United's in the shade
Anfield1.jpg

Liverpool’s American owners are considering creating an iconic exterior sign on the club’s new Main Stand, marking out Anfield as home to “The Liverpool Football Club”, The Independent understands.

It would be the Anfield side’s equivalent to their old rivals’ own legendary name in lights – the bright “Manchester United” at the front of Old Trafford, which is one of that club’s most famous vistas. But using the article “The” before Liverpool is an interesting part of the consideration for Fenway Sports Group.

The official name of the club – whose new Main Stand will take Anfield’s capacity to 54,000 and may increase annual match-day revenues by £25m – is “The Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Limited”. So “The Liverpool Football Club” would fit with that, but it would also be a more distinguished way of defining the custodians of the stadium.

What Everton fans would have to say is another matter, as they would challenge any notion that the team across Stanley Park is “The” club in Liverpool. Liverpool, for that matter, could say that Everton’s claim to be “The People’s Club” gives the red half of the city the right to call themselves exactly what they want.

There is no suggestion that Liverpool’s owners, whose consultations with supporters and the local community over Anfield’s redevelopment have been exhaustive, might be seeking a broader type of rebranding. But the iconic red lettering, on Anfield’s elevated land, could become a landmark visible from distances across the city.