You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another IAN AYRE thread - (featuring FSG, and various unanswered questions)

Gym Beglin

Roy Hodgson is England manager. Roy Hodgson.

Exhibit fucking A m'lid.

Trevor fucking brooking is head of youth development. The English FA is a special case.

FSG are not a 'jobs for the boys' insular fuckwit organisation

FSG are not infallible and just because Ian Ayre is in a position of power doesn't mean he's superb at his job either.

Show me where someone has proffered that opinion.

Yes Jen Chang did search out Duncan Jenkins of his own accord and was rightly fucking binned, btw.

Show me where someone has proffered that opinion.

Yes Jen Chang did search out Duncan Jenkins of his own accord and was rightly fucking binned, btw.

Jen Chang was sacked after the fallout of the Duncan Jenkins saga after being told by FSG to find the mole, he subsequently found the mole and because the conversations were taped and he was recorded by Jenkins the media fallout forced FSG's hand to get rid. 

Just like a tory politician when he's found having an asphyxiwank, the tories don't want to get rid of their man and if no-ones knows it's conveniently swept under the carpet, but if the press find out and run the story he'd be binned faster than a speeding bullet, that's what happened to Chang. 

Jen Chang was sacked after the fallout of the Duncan Jenkins saga after being told by FSG to find the mole, he subsequently found the mole and because the conversations were taped and he was recorded by Jenkins the media fallout forced FSG's hand to get rid.

Just like a tory politician when he's found having an asphyxiwank, the tories don't want to get rid of their man and if no-ones knows it's conveniently swept under the carpet, but if the press find out and run the story he'd be binned faster than a speeding bullet, that's what happened to Chang.

FSG told him to go and intimidate a man from twitter and threaten to fuck his life up and post dog shit through his letterbox? Ok then. It's clearly pointless continuing this conversation.

Trevor fucking brooking is head of youth development. The English FA is a special case.

FSG are not a 'jobs for the boys' insular fuckwit organisation

It was more of a humourous statement of how in general spoofers appear to get to the top in football.

However since you seem to have a proper bug up your badly dressed arse about it, I'll leave the subject alone.

FSG told him to go and intimidate a man from twitter and threaten to fuck his life up and post dog shit through his letterbox? Ok then. It's clearly pointless continuing this conversation.

No the club were in protracted negotiations with Roma over the purchase of Fabio Borini and Jenkins tweeted that Liverpool were going to sign Borini (purely guess work on his part, Borini had played under Rodgers at Swansea). He subsequently created a windfall of retweets and every site started running stories on the transfer rumour. Liverpool had signed a confidentiality agreement with Roma that entailed they wouldn't release any information to the press about the deal and if anything came out the club would be charged hundreds of thousands of pounds.

As a result of Jenkins actions the club had to pay Roma a vast fee and FSG asked Chang then head of communications to find him. The whole threatening to "stick shit in his letterbox" stuff was purely Chang, but i'm sure FSG told him to silence him by getting him off twitter in someway, whether that was through intimidation or bureaucratic red tape i don't know, but Chang was sacked for doing what he was told to do, albeit going to the extreme in doing so. if the conversation and footage of his meeting were not recorded i doubt he would of bit the bullet so to speak.

They sacked him because he went far beyond his remit and behaved in a way that belied the clubs image.

To sit there and say if nobody had found out about it he'd still have his job is, firstly, besides the point and, secondly, conjecture driven by an apparent agenda to paint FSG in a bad light hence the Tory politician bullshit.

If Chang hadn't been a total cunt then he might still be working at the club. Who knows. The point is they don't fuck about when it comes to people they feel are unsuitable or the job. As Comolli found out and as Kenny found out and I assume many others who I can't think of off the top of my head.

If Ayre was half as incompetent as some people would have you believe he would be out of a job quicker than he can kick start his Harley.

• Upvote 1

It was more of a humourous statement of how in general spoofers appear to get to the top in football.

However since you seem to have a proper bug up your badly dressed arse about it, I'll leave the subject alone.

You can fuck off as well. I was joining in poking fun at the FA

I happen to agree with moof on this, in that while I don't know that Ayre is an ace negotiator, I don't believe he's the clueless bell that the majority on here would seem to think. All the speculation in the world means nothing. All the stuff about us low balling and being unable to close a deal through Ayres incompetence is just made up by people who should know better. Ayre will be working to a brief; he certainly won't be determining the price of any particular player.

Ayre may well turn out to be a lousy negotiator, but I doubt it. Getting angry at wild guesses at what might be going on seems to be all the rage, but just like LFC with Sanchez, I'm not buying it.

He got binned from Huddersfield Town and was then hired by Hicks and Gillett.

People are bound to be sceptical.

The likes of Moof seem to want an easy life where everything's rosy, that's OK but I'd say it's far more important to keep these suits under scrutiny.

Probably - although the fact I am right makes it different. And the fact I have watched him/them as sports owners do the same for near two decades makes me know more than you too.

So no success was brought to the Red Sox then? just because you have watched something does not mean you understand what is going on behind the scenes. 

There are a number of known examples of Ayre being a clueless bellend. But he's also a snivelling little shit when it comes to his employers.

Purslow confirmed that Ayre was all set to vote with G&H until he saw which way the wind was blowing and had a last-minute turnaround. He then began nuzzling his new employers.

His comments about Bolton earned a rebuke from the FA and forced Henry onto the phone to apologise.

His conduct regarding Dempsey was such that not only did Fulham's comms woman publicly lay into him on the last day of the season, but then Werner had to fly over and have a humiliating meeting at Craven Cottage where he had to get on his knees to apologise, and beg Fulham not to report us for tapping up.

Add in some of the two-faced hypocritical bullshit he's come out with, his love of publicity, and the anecdotal evidence from a number of clubs about how he conducts transfer dealings, and I'd have no hesitation in shipping bim back to marketing and bringing in a real CEO.

EDIT: And how can you respect anyone who looks like a punchable hamster?

• Upvote 2

By any measure his time in the job has been a success. I think he has been lucky, but leaders need a bit of luck too.

FSG were wary of people who knew more about the game than them, and Ayre’s appeal was of a man who would do as he was told and be grateful for the opportunity he had been given. Although his inexperience cost us during the Evra affair, he has learned on the job, and improved.

FSG had the chance of heavyweight CEO’s with the likes of Dein, Kenyon, Edelman and Barwick all at various times gettable, but opted for someone more malleable in Ayre, in the same way that they feared the likes of Van Gaal in favour of Rodgers, who had less PL experience than them and was grateful for the opportunity ( see the theme?).

Ayre and FSG are well suited. LFC is a business investment for them which they will not allow to go horribly wrong, but which equally, they will not take big risks with. Ayre is a safe pair of hands that they can control, and for Ayre he has bosses who don’t know more about England and football than him.

Although Ayre got the Evra affair wrong, he also got Jaws2 and Jaws 3 right. Although I think the redevelopment is a conservative and flawed mistake compared to what a new stadium could have offered, it won’t go wrong and offer a bigger capacity and “improvement”.

This season will be Ayre’s biggest test. An expensive redevelopment programme will follow a league campaign in which ongoing CL football is by no means certain to help to fund it. Rodgers is inexperienced in Europe with it all to prove, again. And the wisdom, and money paid for, purchases made from the Suarez windfall will come under scrutiny. In the same way that Rodgers is going to have to step up a gear and be judged against more exacting standards, so will Ayre.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In truth, I'm not a massive fan of his. I'm more than happy for him to do the financial stuff, at which he seems fairly good judging by the results, but he really shouldn't be having too much of a say in transfers. I'd like a footballing guy to come in. David Dein on a part time basis would be ideal.

In truth, I'm not a massive fan of his. I'm more than happy for him to do the financial stuff, at which he seems fairly good judging by the results, but he really shouldn't be having too much of a say in transfers. I'd like a footballing guy to come in. David Dein on a part time basis would be ideal.

Agreed.

I thought H& G were doing a pretty thorough and vigorous asset-stripping job of our club before the courts (Thank Christ) put the blocks on it. A similar destructive plan appears to have put paid to Pompey and also to Coventry just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more. It doesn't (seem to me) so long ago that Luton were swanning around in the top pond. More topically, it will be interesting to see what the future holds for clubs like Cardiff City once the the plug is pulled.

Do you even know what asset stripping is?

The next time a club sells - add up the transfer value of the roster, 9 out of 10 it is more than the club. there is no "asset" in the vast majority of clubs - it is a liability.

You're talking absolute shit.  I don't understand why (people) you comment on stuff like this when you quite clearly have no idea what you are talking about.  My head feels like exploding due to how fucking shite this post actually is.

1.  Just to clarify the conversation was about asset stripping.

2.  A club has a whole bunch of assets not just player contracts.

3.  It's impossible to actually add up the transfer value of players.  They don't get included in sets of accounts (only the transfer amount paid to bring them in is and that is depreciated down over the course of the contract so values are nearly always understated).

4.  Despite the transfer value of players being understated in the accounts I will tell you for a fact without even having to look that more than 2 of the premier league clubs will not be a liability.  It wouldn't surprise me if all of them weren't.

Your post is so bad it's actually mind numbing and difficult to put into words how fucking stupid it is.

If a club was being asset stripped the ground would be sold, the training complex would be sold, all the players contracts would be sold.  Idiots seem to think not giving the manager money to buy players and taking more debt out on the club is asset stripping, it's not.

You're talking absolute shit etc(Re Howie lamas post)

I suspect that Howie might have meant that most clubs run at an operating loss.

I agree that it is hard to think of examples of asset stripping ( apart from Ken Bates at Leeds?), much easier to think of inept owners who have lost themselves, and their clubs, lots of money.