You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Give him a fucking release clause, what difference does it make to us? Either we lose him in Jan for fuck all or we lose him some time in the future for £xx million.

Hopefully we can negotiate that it doesn't come into effect until the summer after next, and can't be triggered by a domestic rival. That would be the best outcome in this all round shitty situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the release clause is the sticking point. The source is the mail, for one.

Playing time seems much more likely. He knows that Henderson is our captain, so likely to be ahead of him, that Coutinho is much better and that Lallana is Klopp's favourite. Add the fact he just watched us spend £95m on a pair of new midfielders, you can see why he'd be worried about his place in the team going forward.

• Upvote 1

We do sign alot of players with contracts winding down, or by activating their release clauses, like Can actually.

It seems normal, to me, to expect those players and their agents to do the same to us.

I was going to mention this, and the reason we have often gone for players with clauses is probably because we think their clause is lower than their actual worth, so it is a value play. On the flip side, the selling club ends up selling a player for less than what they are worth and have no choice in it, so I maybe we are trying to protect ourselves from that by not giving release clauses, we risk losing players for free but take a gamble that the majority will sign without a release clause, and over the long run what we lose by players for free is made up for by selling others at their market price rather than a lower release clause.

For instance, if there had been a release clause in Coutinho's contract that he signed, what do we think it would have been? My guess is that £70m-80m seems like it would have been reasonable at that time, yet due to the increase in prices and the Neymar effect, we've turned down £120m or whatever it was. 

Personally, I'd give him a release clause

Stick a release clause in the contract and you're opening yourself up to two things; 1, clubs find out what the release clause is via agents and 2, you put a price on your player that soon becomes public knowledge.

Id question any player's motives and committment who demands a release clause in their contract. Personally, I wouldnt entertain them.

Stick a release clause in the contract and you're opening yourself up to two things; 1, clubs find out what the release clause is via agents and 2, you put a price on your player that soon becomes public knowledge.

Id question any player's motives and committment who demands a release clause in their contract. Personally, I wouldnt entertain them.

I wouldn't blame them after a lot of high profile players were 'forced' to stay this summer.

More 'hard' bargaining from LFC, just like with Sakho.

The result will probably be equally shit, if not worse.

We got good money for Sakho.

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/study-shows-crystal-palace-overpaid-13574652

Using a transfer value algorithm that took into account various statistics, including age, goals and points won by the team, to calculate a value for a player, the study concluded that Sakho was in fact worth around £4.8m

I don't think the release clause is the sticking point. The source is the mail, for one.

Playing time seems much more likely. He knows that Henderson is our captain, so likely to be ahead of him, that Coutinho is much better and that Lallana is Klopp's favourite. Add the fact he just watched us spend £95m on a pair of new midfielders, you can see why he'd be worried about his place in the team going forward.

The source is Paul Joyce, who id deem the most reputable LFC journo. He is reporting it in the times.

I don't see how replacing Can with Keita is a shit move. In the same way as replacing Sakho with Matip is ok by me. NOT replacing Lovren with VVD is a bona fide shit move. The ones you mention, not so much.

I wouldn't call it a shit move, Keita is probably a better player.

The problem is we need good players in addition to the good ones we already have, not instead of.

• Upvote 1

We got good money for Sakho.

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/study-shows-crystal-palace-overpaid-13574652

Using a transfer value algorithm that took into account various statistics, including age, goals and points won by the team, to calculate a value for a player, the study concluded that Sakho was in fact worth around £4.8m

I can barely spell algorithm, but any formula that suggests Sakho is worth less than £5m in today's market is worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

Can's head is all over the place this season, probably due to juve's interest and his contract situation. I thought the lad finnished strong last season but he's been pretty fucking woeful this one.

His little dragback routine yesterday got him into more trouble than it got him out of. He needs to give his head a shake and decide whether he wants to be here long term or not. I think I read somewhere Klopp had given him a couple of weeks to give a definitive answer on his contract? Needs sorting asap.

They all should have done better, but fuck knows what Klavan's doing. His decision making is awful. He can see that Matip will compete for the header, but still decides to compete for the same ball leaving a huge gap for the runner. Piss fucking poor.

Maybe he thought that Matip wasn't going to win it.  

well, not in any way that would have seen him win it, I agree with that.  He got mugged.

I reckon it's pretty obvious Matip has completely misjudged the flight of the ball, Klavan comes across to try and cover and Robertson should shuffle across as well.

That's the way a defence with any brains would work anyway.

However Klavan who initially tries to cover Matip then turns his back holding his handbag as he should be clearing the ball.

And Robertson is having a kip he's so tired of our crap defending already.

I reckon it's pretty obvious Matip has completely misjudged the flight of the ball, Klavan comes across to try and cover and Robertson should shuffle across as well.

That's the way a defence with any brains would work anyway.

However Klavan who initially tries to cover Matip then turns his back holding his handbag as he should be clearing the ball.

And Robertson is having a kip he's so tired of our crap defending already.

and Can let the runner go.  It was a case of bad defending all round, it's just that some get a free pass.  Klavan made a few key interceptions yesterday, at least one of which got Matip out of jail as he was literally sitting on his arse. 

One of my pet hates is the way referees ignore it when forwards blatantly wait for a defender to jump for a header and then just back into them without making any effort to compete themselves so the defender ends us off balance.

Wood does this to Matip , Klavan sees it happening and tries to cover but the spin off falls lovely for Arfield.