You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joey Barton

TheHowieLama

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I always judge a pundit on whether they agree with me or not. Gender's irrelevant. If they agree they're knowledgeable students of the game. If they don't then they are no nothing cunts who are stealing a living. 

These two fellas knew their onions.

Hang on, Duvall named his dog Jinky?! Mans got taste. As for character I think he means pissed up Glaswegian. 

What a player though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hang on, Duvall named his dog Jinky?! Mans got taste. As for character I think he means pissed up Glaswegian. 

What a player though. 

He did a terrible footy film with Ally McCoist and Michael Keaton. McCoist loves him, said they had a fucking ball making that film.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The question that should be asked is: does anyone give a shit about what Joey Barton thinks about anything?

This is actually quite an important question. 

Barring a small cohort of idiots and basement masturbators, the vast vast majority of people won’t give a shit about him or his dumb opinion. But 24 hour news and social media means that his misogynistic, and now racist crap will be positioned as a ‘debate’ and Barton and his ilk will be made think there is large support for him in the public. 

In a perfect world he’d be ignored, but this is going to grow and grow until he gets his TalkTV spot. 

I hate the little twat but it would be funny if he started spilling the beans on a few within the industry. Especially Neville who is just a bully. 

As for women pundits... some are fine some are annoying but it's exactly the same with the men. Sue Smith is one of the best pundits around nd really knows her stuff, she's miles ahead of the likes of Richards and Jenas for actual match analysis. 

I know Keane gets a lot of shit on here but I like him. Wright, Merson, Souness and I like Michael Dawson and all. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

But thats not expertise. Literally anyone could tell you intangible shite like that big games make players nervous, that managers criticising a player can hurt a dressing room, etc... They may have lived it but its not something people dont know. It adds nothing,  I already know top players have a good mentality, I dont need Danny Murphy to tell me that thats what it takes to get to a high level. Its like a doctor saying its hard to become one and it took a lot of work. Yeah, cool, a doctor didnt need to me that him or herself. Thats the sort of shallow analysis you get in football because ex players are mostly all thick and cant tell you anything deeper than that. 

The argument I use all the time is theres loads of managers who never sniffed the top level. Mourinho and Sarri probably the best examples, but loads of managers were rubbish players. So people can think Womens football isnt a high level but that doesnt preclude them from knowing loads about football and more than a high level male pro would. 

It is basically just sexism and fear of change when people say they dont want to see women on a football broadcast. Credit to someone like Mook for admitting it because that is obviously what it is. 

Your example that Ian Graham could be a pundit is a good shout and an example of someone who likely knows more about football than any ex player and could likely communicate what he knows as well, but punditry is so inherently about being a recognizable figure, and not about expertise, that he isnt somebody TV networks would likely want. And thats why punditry is nonsense. 

Playing elite level football does not give you expertise in elite level football? 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Playing elite level football does not give you expertise in elite level football? 

Depends on playing or managing afterwards.

In terms of managing the answer appears to be No. As a player you just play. As a manager you need additional tools in the box to manage circumstance outside of playing.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not inherently, no.

2 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Depends on playing or managing afterwards.

In terms of managing the answer appears to be No. As a player you just play. As a manager you need additional tools in the box to manage circumstance outside of playing.

I'll answer these together. I agree it doesn't make them managers. But pundits are not there to be managers, they are there to impart a point of view from an learned experience of performing at that level. They don't have to be a tactical genius, but they have received tactical instruction, they've played under intense pressure, they've lived the cycle of play, 2 days recovery, play again. They've lived those last minutes winners and losses, they've been in the dressing room at half time. They have something we can never have. Performing at that elite level which provides a different insight. 

Now I personally think it's too one dimensional, mostly only using explayers, who start at 35 and finish at 60. But there are others around the game that could bring value, as I say people like Ian Graham. There are lots can provide input and the wider experience we can get from within the elite game, the better in my opinion. 

What we don't need is people who've never been involved it, aside from the presenters and commentators seats. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Being around elite level football and footballers does give you a good insight. The overseas model of University degrees based around areas of the game does help too. I think Wenger,Houllier and Rafa benefited from that too.

• Upvote 1

He's back on it. He's on about going to war now. How his great grandfather was gassed fighting for this country. Its his duty to stand up and fight for all those who lost their lives. 

To think all his started because he didn't agree with that lady pundit when she said Wolves need to get the ball in the box a bit quicker.

He's also got a podcast out. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He's back on it. He's on about going to war now. How his great grandfather was gassed fighting for this country. Its his duty to stand up and fight for all those who lost their lives. 

To think all his started because he didn't agree with that lady pundit when she said Wolves need to get the ball in the box a bit quicker.

He's also got a podcast out. 

Gammons to attention. 

Just another talentless turd who has realised he has gone as far in his day job as his limited skillset will take him, but there are lucrative opportunities in the world of right-wing grifting.

I hope he gets a bollock caught in his zip and it goes septic.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1