You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you be happy with 4th place? (as of January 2014)

WhiskeyJar

Final League position  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy with 4th?

• Yes, we should be higher but I would be happy with that.
    • No, anything less than first and I am disappointed.

Looking at the table and there seems a gap between us the top 3 and the rest of the pack.

Would you be happy if the league stays that way or would you be disappointed not to finish 1st, 2nd or even 3rd? 

You must bear in mind the effects the Champions League will have on potential summer targets as well as our transfer budget in relation to our leagues position. 

the club badly needs CL to get back to be in a position where we are competing for the title year in year out as opposed to relying on freak results all season ro be in the shakeup. Keep up the trend of approx 2 points a game and you'd have to be confident we will make it. everything else would be a massive fucking bonus

I think Chelsea and City will pull away over the next few months. Arsenal look a little shaky and even though they've got a much better squad than us a couple of good additions and we'll be competing with them.

I think we're capable of third but no way can we compete with teams that have £20m footballers on the bench

3rd at least. I want to be in the CL and 4th doesn't give us that. Granted it gives us the chance to be in the CL, but its not enough. I want 3rd. With Chelsea getting 4th and then failing to qualify.

Pretty please.

The we will nned to overhaul Arse. Not going to be easy

I think Chelsea and City will pull away over the next few months. Arsenal look a little shaky and even though they've got a much better squad than us a couple of good additions and we'll be competing with them.

I think we're capable of third but no way can we compete with teams that have £20m footballers on the bench

Think this about sums it up.

3rd is about as high as I think we can realistically expect this season, but we could easily fall to fifth or even sixth if we have a key injury or two and sides around us continue to overperform.  Therefore I'd take a certain fourth right now, though not without a bit of regret.

The league will be won with around 85 points this season, which is quite low.  Maybe even a bit less.  We are probably not quite capable of getting 45 points in the second half which is the minimum we'd have to attain to even be close, so I think the league is probably gone already.  But, then again, you'd have said the same thing about the CL at halftime in Istanbul, so who knows?

It would be a good improvement on recent years and would mean we finished ahead of three of the following: Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Everton (probably the latter three) which would be a decent enough achievement. It still wouldn't see us into the CL proper, so I'd much rather top three, but the question asked about 4th. 

Judging by how mad the league has been up to now, I'd say we COULD finish 3rd - I'm convinced the big, talented squads of City and Chelsea will see them pull away, so the top 2 is very unlikely.

But if 3rd is possible, so is 5th or even 6th, it really is that tight with a clutch of well matched teams all fighting for too few places.

So I'd bite your hand off if offered 4th now.

Couple of decent signings in the next few weeks and who knows? Most teams around us have to come to Anfield, if we can come outbid them with a decent collection of points I think we can start dreaming of better, but yes, I would happily take fourth, that was our target before a ball was kicked and I honestly thought it would be a big ask in the summer.

I`d take 4th in a heartbeat.

If the City and Chelsea games have taught us anything it`s that we just can`t match the size and quality of their squads.

They`re rotating £20m and £30m players for fun while we`re pretty much having to play the same core of players game after game.

We`ve done great to stay as close as we have.

Let's look at the crunch period of games, between January and 31 March.

Liverpool - 13 games

Big games: Everton (h), Arsenal (h), United (a), Spurs (h)

Inc Europe: No

Tricky aways: Southampton, Cardiff

I think we can get 2nd or 3rd, and we shouldn't far away from the summit come May, so let's see what happens.  We need to take points off Arsenal if we're to stand a chance of 2nd.  All in all though, we can rest up a lot more, depending on an FA Cup run.  That said, we might be able to get away with a few ringers against Oldham, and then may even still get a kind draw.

Spurs - 15 games

Big games: Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Everton (h), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a)

Inc Europe: Yes, h/a FC Dnipro

Tricky aways: Swansea, Newcastle,

Big run of games against the top sides, and our 5-0 at WHL may make them a bit more nervous of conceding at home.  Pointless Europa League journey in the middle of all this, and a couple of nasty looking away fixtures, and the knowledge that Adebayour won't keep this up for more than a week or two, as per usual.

Arsenal - 15 games

Big games: Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), United (h), Spurs (a), Chelsea (a), City (h)

Inc Europe: Yes, h/a Bayern Munich

Tricky aways: Southampton

Arsenal are a confidence side, and those games against Bayern could destroy them or boost them.  Spurs up in the cup first, and going out early to their rival could have a big knock on effect.  No real injuries for them yet, let's see how they do.

Man City - 17 games  (+Possible League Cup Final in February)

Big games: Spurs (a), Chelsea (h), United (a), Arsenal (a) 

Inc Europe: Yes, h/a Barcelona

Tricky aways: Newcastle

I think City have the squad to deal with it all, but I think we could sneak 2nd or 3rd if we get our key players back in a timely fashion.  City have stormed the table without Aguero, but then again Negredo is quality, not sure it'll make much difference.  An injury to Kompany or Navas might stall them.

Chelsea - 15 games

Big games: United (h), City (a), Everton (h), Spurs (h), Arsenal (h)

Inc Europe: Yes, h/a Galatasaray

Tricky aways: West Brom, Palace, Fulham

Not convinced by them but chances are those big games at home, and most of them are, will be dour shite matches where they take a point or even snatch 3.  Galatasaray is an interesting draw, could ruffle them for a couple of weeks, rematch with Drogba as well.  Couple of 'London Derbies' in there as well, plus West Brom is a kettle of uncertainty at the moment.  Mourinho is a fucking tit though, and any defeat could wobble his head.

Man United - 15 games (+Possible League Cup Final in February)

Big games: Chelsea (a), Arsenal (a), City (h), Liverpool (h)

Inc Europe: Yes, h/a Olympiakos

Tricky aways: West Brom

Annoyingly, quite a straightforward couple of months ahead, but perhaps losing at home might be more of a hazard than away defeats, if the crowd stay on Moyes' back, with Swansea coming to town in the FA Cup this weekend and then again next week.  A GD of +9 is telling, they just can't  afford to concede goals because they just aren't scoring enough.