You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Suarez: The little magician

WhiskeyJar

Suarez’s agent would have contacted potential suitors before he signed that contract in December. If any of them were interested, why would he have committed to us? The new deal only gave him a £50,000 a week increase to £170,000 until the end of this season then a further increase to £200,000 a week for the next 4 years. Why pass up the chance to have the club over a barrel now for a paltry £1.25 million? That’s peanuts to an elite footballer these days. It doesn’t make sense, he’d be able to get a lot more than that as a signing on fee for a new club as, with only 2 years left on his current deal, rather than 4, the transfer fee would be a lot lower.

Considering the form he was in last autumn I doubt the club would have agreed to a release clause that undervalued him either. I suspect Tony Barrett is right, any clause Henry and Co. consented to will be prohibitive. And we had all these reports from “Madrid’s mouthpiece” last summer and they didn’t even bid. Why would things be any different this year?

It would be difficult but if in my opinion could be done, especially if we got 2 good players plus cash.  For example, Isco, Varane and £40 million would be OK, use the money to get Sanchez and we might come out OK.  The real key is getting the right players in the deal for Suarez.

1 player is harder but more likely to actually happen.  Sanchez and £60 million, something like that might work?  I don't want to get too Football Manager here, but assuming we already have £50 million or so before sales, that would give us £95 million (after Lambert and Can are taken into account) to get another forward, a centre back, a left back and a versatile attacking midfield option.  We would be weakened up front but it's not as if Sanchez, Sterling and Sturridge is a terrible front 3 and presumably we'd be able to get top options for both left back and centre back with that money.  Danger of doing a Spurs would be there but we could also improve.

The way to improve the club is not to sell your best player and bring in 5 or 6 who may work out. It is to keep your best players and add one or two more, evolution not revolution is needed.

• Upvote 3

So this whole thing is stemming from Duncan Castles saying Suarez has said he "hopes we honor the release clause"?

Now he might well have said that this summer, I don't know, but I do know for a fact he said it last summer so couldn't it just be a case of them rehashing old quotes with a new spin?

I'm of the opinion that if there's a clause it only would have taken effect had we not qualified for the CL. The main issue would have been had we come 4th and then it could be argued that we didn't actually qualify for the CL but for a CL qualifying round, we came 2nd though and so are in the CL proper. Just doesn't make any sense to me that we'd include a clause that allows him to leave for so much less than his value when we've just got back into the CL and are trying to build. Sure we didn't know we were to qualify but I have a hard time believing we wouldn't have made sure we don't get ripped off for him if we did. Makes even less sense when you take into account the fact the PFA lawyers all essentially agreed with the club that the clause he did have did not include an obligation to sell. What would be the point of then offering a new contract when the one he had ran til 2016 and meant we didn't have to sell him for any fee rather we just had to take a phone call or 5 and tell them to fuck off. People say Suarez could have just ran it down and yea he could have but if he did that he'd be 29. Could be seen as a risk on his part and still would've guaranteed us 2 more seasons on top of the last one at the least.

He's our biggest asset for sale sure but he's also our biggest selling point for recruiting other players who are already world class, "come here and play in an up and coming team that plays beautiful football alongside the best player in the world". Players like Sanchez for example won't be coming here to join Coutinho, Sterling, and even Sturridge (though in my opinion all of them have the potential to be thought of as World Class eventually) as much as I rate all of them, they'll be coming here to join Luis Suarez first and foremost. I know some don't really trust FSG and I'm not saying I think they're the best owners in football but I do think they're serious about wanting us to win things and be competitive while they're here. Perhaps at the end of the day the motive might be to sell us to a sugar daddy for profit once we've been re-established but the better we are doing the more we will be worth anyway so even in that scenario it bodes well for us under their ownership.

As others have pointed out it's curious this all starts to ramp up as he's just knocked England out of the tournament and told the FA and Roy to fuck off in the aftermath. Honestly I think most in the press are shit scared of us being on top again. Besides most at the Echo, Tony Barret, and Ballague (who's info hasn't exactly been great since Rafa left anyway) they've all twisted the dagger at some point over the last few years while we were down and if I'm honest probably since I've started watching football besides when we achieved things they couldn't spin negatively. When we reclaim our "throne" or whatever you want to call it I think a fair few of them will know their bread won't be buttered by us like it is by some of the teams around us.

Then again maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist regarding this situation.

You think these stories aren't genuine, RP? Do you not think Real or Barca are interested?

I wish I shared your optimism!

No I definitely think it's genuine, at least in the case of Madrid. What I don't think is genuine is the intentions of most of the English journo's though. They've had all summer to go on about this, but if you look at the number of related articles, tweets, and so on from them before Luis scored those two goals the other night, and then look at the rate they've increased since, I think it makes their bitterness and agenda a lot clearer.

• Upvote 1

No team can prosper selling its best players. I hope that we not only hang on to Luis, but also add some top talent to the side. That is FSG’s job.

None of us know what is in Luis’ contract. But were he to see it out, he would be over 30 and unlikely to get a move to, or payday at, Barca/Madrid. We would also only get a fraction of his current value. He has family in Barcelona, and Barca/ Madrid are the holy grails for Hispanic footballers. It would be foolish to assume he will not end up in Spain before the end of his contract here.

Our CL qualification, and the financial boost that gives us, helps our cause enormously. But the failure of our strong England contingent does not augur well for our upcoming CL campaign with an inexperienced manager in the competition. Bale concluded that his medal chances were better in Spain, so might Luis.

Under Rafa, when we were scorching Europe, we had four world class players in Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard. Now we have only one in Suarez. Selling would have dire consequences, and the history of how selling clubs spend record fees is not good.

I wonder how FSG/Brendan rates our Pl and CL chances next season? If the view is that with a rejuvenated Man U and Chelsea we will be lucky to come fourth, and will do well to survive the group stages, they may feel that reinvesting a £70m fee on three or four players might strengthen the team overall (Injury and suspension means that Luis is yet to be available for a full season for us).If they are serious about going toe to toe with the big boys then they will want to not only retain him, but make a serious investment in upgrading the squad- and I am not talking just Ricky Lambert.

• Upvote 2

No team can prosper selling its best players. I hope that we not only hang on to Luis, but also add some top talent to the side. That is FSG’s job.

None of us know what is in Luis’ contract. But were he to see it out, he would be over 30 and unlikely to get a move to, or payday at, Barca/Madrid. We would also only get a fraction of his current value. He has family in Barcelona, and Barca/ Madrid are the holy grails for Hispanic footballers. It would be foolish to assume he will not end up in Spain before the end of his contract here.

Our CL qualification, and the financial boost that gives us, helps our cause enormously. But the failure of our strong England contingent does not augur well for our upcoming CL campaign with an inexperienced manager in the competition. Bale concluded that his medal chances were better in Spain, so might Luis.

Under Rafa, when we were scorching Europe, we had four world class players in Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard. Now we have only one in Suarez. Selling would have dire consequences, and the history of how selling clubs spend record fees is not good.

I wonder how FSG/Brendan rates our Pl and CL chances next season? If the view is that with a rejuvenated Man U and Chelsea we will be lucky to come fourth, and will do well to survive the group stages, they may feel that reinvesting a £70m fee on three or four players might strengthen the team overall (Injury and suspension means that Luis is yet to be available for a full season for us).If they are serious about going toe to toe with the big boys then they will want to not only retain him, but make a serious investment in upgrading the squad- and I am not talking just Ricky Lambert.

Rejuvenated man united? They'll do well to finish higher than 6th IMO, there terrible, no back 4, no midfield. They'll have decent start as they've 3 promoted sides and Swansea in 1st 5 games, the wheels will start to come off by mid October

don't we all?

Don't even joke like that. Explaining to people over here that Beckham's brand was always bigger than his game at best gets you looked at quizzically before they fuck off and realize they don't know a thing about the sport. At worst it gets the "you're just a hater, he's amazing" response, or for the women "but he's so hot though, and he's married to a spice girl".

The fact the monarchy is worshipped by so many Americans (and yes I realize it's not just us that fawn over the monarchy but given that whole revolution thing we did a few hundred years ago you'd think more people here would at least have a clue otherwise) gives me cold sweats.

From the Echo (In summary - there is a release clause, probably around 80 million. We enquired about Sanchez. No bids so far)

LFC confident Suarez will stay at Anfield as Spanish giants hover

Liverpool FC remain hopeful Luis Suarez will stay put this summer – despite increasing speculation that Real Madrid and Barcelona will both make a move for the prolific striker.

There has been no approach from either of the Spanish giants so far and reports suggesting the Reds are resigned to losing the Uruguayan are wide of the mark.

Suarez reaffirmed his commitment to the club during talks with Brendan Rodgers following the end of last season and the manager is currently planning for the new campaign with the 27-year-old on board.

Anfield officials fully expect bids to be tabled this summer for the reigning Footballer of the Year, who plundered 31 Premier League goals last term.

Suarez's heroics against England at the World Cup only served to underline his status as one of the most gifted players on the planet.

However, neither Suarez nor his representatives have given Liverpool any indication that he wants to quit Anfield.

Liverpool believe they have done everything they possibly could to satisfy the prolific striker.

Last December his outstanding form was rewarded with a lucrative £200,000 per week contract which made him one of the Premier League's highest earners.

Suarez's burning desire for Champions League football will also be satisfied by remaining at Anfield after Rodgers' side ended the Reds' five-year absence from Europe's elite.

His new deal, which runs until 2018, does include a release clause but the exact terms of that remain confidential.

Some reports have suggested Real Madrid or Barcelona could land Suarez for around £65million but the ECHO understands they would need to offer more than that. Suarez was the subject of a summer-long transfer saga a year ago when Arsenal tried and failed to sign him.

The Gunners bid £40million plus £1 in the mistaken belief that they had triggered a clause in his contract. Liverpool believe Suarez is now worth at least double what Arsenal offered and there is no chance he will ever be sold to a domestic rival.

If there is a huge bid from Spain which meets the release clause and Suarez informs the club he wants out then the Reds will have to reluctantly do business but they hope it won't come to that.

There was constant speculation in Spain about Real Madrid's pursuit of Suarez last summer but no offer was ever forthcoming.

Liverpool have been in contact with Barcelona in recent weeks to register their interest in Chile striker Alexis Sanchez, who is currently on duty at the World Cup.

However, during those discussions the Catalan outfit haven't given any indication that they are plotting a swoop for Suarez.

Asked last month whether he feared Suarez's head could be turned by a bumper offer from Spain, Rodgers said: “I know Luis is very happy here.

“He has turned a corner in terms of how he's perceived in England. Of course in football you can't promise anything but I am confident Luis will be a big part of the future here. The Champions League was what we were all fighting for. It's a wonderful platform for all the players and that opportunity is there now.”

So, we've asked after Sanchez, Barca haven't indicated they want Suarez, there is a release clause, but it's somewhere north of £65m?

I find it strange that the clause is mentioned, but just like last year there's no detail. Surely Suarez' representatives can't have fucked up again? Yet, the figure of £65m has been made public and now the Echo are pooh-poohing it to some extent.

I just find it odd that we're not hearing any solid specifics on the release clause. Is it enforceable between different FAs, what's the amount to trigger it etc.

Either we've written another vague contract with loopholes, Suarez representatives are wary of leaking too much as technically we could bring a case against the buying club for knowledge of a confidential agreement, or - and this is what I suspect - it's a mixture of guesswork, fact and half truths.

I've a feeling this one will be another long, arduous saga of rival press briefings.