You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

So i expect us to be chasing the ball more than actually having it.

Who'll do the chasing? Can't only be Henderson. Somebody suggested that Lucas man-mark Ozil. Can anybody really see that happening?

Neither Gerrard nor Lucas is mobile enough against their midfield. It's not just about giving up possession, it's about getting run ragged.

The big problem will come if we lose to Arsenal and Coutinho doesn't start.

People will point their fat fingers at Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard once more and there will likely be a knee-jerk reaction the following week as Henderson is dropped to the bench once more and the cycle starts again.

My idea is that we start with a very strong starting eleven, and also leave some class options on the bench, so that Arsenal look at our team sheet and our subs and they immediately start to doubt if they can win the game. Whereas if we throw everything into the first XI and then have a bench that features Allen, Cissokho, Sterling, Kelly, Alberto and Moses then they know that all they have to do is beat the XI who start the game because our subs bench has no real ability to change a game away at Arsenal.

Things we know about Arsenal:

Flamini will be injured. His absence has coincided with 2 defeats in 3 games. (PL and CL)

They've just lost 2 homes games (1 PL and 1 CL) in a row (they also lost 1-3 to Villa on the opening day)

If they score then it's very likely Ramsey (5) or Giroud (5). After that, it's even between Ozil (2), Podolski (2) and Wilshire (2), (all PL)

They are slightly more likely to score in the second half (8 in first half, 12 in second half)(PL)

They are more likely to concede in the second half (3 in first half, 6 in second half)(PL)

They've only gone behind once this season (PL), and that ended in a 1-1 draw with West Brom.

As it stands, of all the 7 teams below Arsenal in the table (Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Southampton, Everton, Man City, Man United) Arsenal have only played one side. (Spurs (h) 1-0)

Suarez could nutmeg Mertesacker with a beach ball.

• Upvote 1

Who'll do the chasing? Can't only be Henderson. Somebody suggested that Lucas man-mark Ozil. Can anybody really see that happening?

Neither Gerrard nor Lucas is mobile enough against their midfield. It's not just about giving up possession, it's about getting run ragged.

Lucas man marking anyone is a silly idea and it wont happen.

But what are you saying, how do you think we should line up?

I think we need three central midfielders against them, or we will be overrun. I also think Henderson, or Allen, but he's not shown the form required since his injuries began. I think Henderson needs to be in there with Gerrard and Lucas. I'd be tempted to play Coutinho if he's fit, but not in a central midfield role. i dont think he'll start unless we go 4-3-3 again.

He did it to Silva vs Man City before, extremely well.

He did it to Silva vs Man City before, extremely well.

That was a while ago. He's already had a suspension for 5 yellows in, what, 6-7 games? He's not a violent player - he got those yellows from being physically unable to keep up with faster players. I don't see him marking anyone very closely, frankly.

I think we need three central midfielders against them, or we will be overrun.

I agree completely, except that either Stevie or Lucas has to sit and Allen needs to be out there. Henderson cannot do the running for everybody against Arsenal's midfield. Again, can anybody see 90' of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson stifling Arsenal's midfield.

I can't

• Downvote 1

Honestly the midfield is going to get overrun non matter who is out there. 

Arsenal has Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere, Arteta and possibly 1 more player that is going to in the midfield area. Liverpool only have Henderson, Lucas and Gerrard; with maybe Coutinho replacing a CB. Winning the midfield battle really seems impossible. 

Maybe some long ball tactic won't be so bad with Suarez and Sturridge as target man and supporting each other.

I'm not a big fan of the 3-5-2 but having played so well with it in our last game now is probably not the time to switch back to a 4. I love Coutinho but hard to mess with the midfield 3 after they played so well last time out. Would keep the same team as v WBA and be pleased that we have a bench that's starting to look useful - both Coutinho and Moses available as and when needed. 

That was a while ago. He's already had a suspension for 5 yellows in, what, 6-7 games? He's not a violent player - he got those yellows from being physically unable to keep up with faster players. I don't see him marking anyone very closely, frankly.

No he didn't. He took several of them for the team when someone else had given the ball away.

• Upvote 3

We can't set up to play Arsenal at their own game, that's a recipe for certain defeat.

We have enough trouble keeping the ball against the likes of Sunderland so this won't be any different. Arsenal will press us very high up with a defence pushed up to pen us in so they can quickly recycle possession then play in and around our box.

We can't allow them to take the ball off us in our own half but that's inevitable if we try to pass the ball around the back. Instead, play to our strengths and make our attacks swift, turn their defenders, get behind them where they are vulnerable.

Push our full backs up on theirs, Lucas & Gerrard sitting in front of the back 4, Henderson harrying. Keep Suarez well away from our half, he needs to spin out wide to collect Stevie's long balls.

I want to see us go all out to win, frighten the fuck out of them and every other club in the division. That means Coutinho plays for me. Four at the back, Coutinho in the middle threading balls through to our deadly strikers. No fear, take them apart - I want us to make a statement here that we are as good as any other side in the League and watch out because we're coming your way

• Upvote 2

Same team as the west brom game for me but stick Enrique at left wing back.

I'd bring Coutinho on depending on what the score is after 60. I think people are going a bit over the top with Coutinho. Don't get me wrong, he looks to be a very good player in the making but I personally don't think he's the 'difference' for us. He had some decent games against some shite sides at the back end of last season whereas in the few games he's played this season I actually think he was quite poor.

It'll obviously be good having him back as it gives us another attacking option but I just think people go a little over the top about him. Hopefully I'll look a right bellend on Saturday night and I'll edit this post to say 'Coutinho is way better than people think'.

Barring a run out at about 60 minutes or so for Coutinho, thats about as perfect as we can be.

Although to be fair, Sakho still worries me a bit, would rather have Agger back in there.

All I want is Kolo to get his well earned and long awaited goal.

I'm going for a Kolo goal from a set piece. I would rather have Agger in the 3 if it is to be 3 cb's tomorrow despite the being unfair to drop any of the other 3 on form but I'd be a bit worried about getting penned back deep.I'd be happier with a back 3 with Dagger as an outlet.

I don't agree, I think Cissokho looks a great addition on loan. He'll have a few ricks from time to time as he acclimatises but overall I'm very impressed with the lad.

That said, Enrique should always start games where possible, he's unplayable at times.

The more I think about it, the more I want to play 352 (or 3511) this weekend, because Arsenal in the top half of the field are so narrow, and I fancy any of our wingback against any of their full backs in a footrace.

However, I get the impression that, to parlance a Rodgers phrase, we'll go with a two-and-a-one for this game as opposed to a one-and-a-two, and so far nobody has looked comfortable partnering Lucas in that formation. I think we'll come undone if we try to play it safe, we need to get on the front foot and let THEM reign back their players, thus allowing Lucas to deal with the midfield runners.

I mean, at the end of the day, Flamini is out and they're there for the taking. I think we let them off massively if we don't attack them and allow them to get away with that. We can afford to draw this, and the best chance we have of doing points is by creating chances for Suarez and Sturridge/Coutinho and then hoping we can score a goal or two and see what happens.

I'll be massively disappointed if Rodgers tries to be all tactical and 'difficult to beat'. We don't have the facilities to stop Arsenal's creative players for 90 minutes and sit deep. And why should we? We've got two strikers that Arsenal can only dream of.

Part of me thinks that we could shock them with 4 or 5 goals. Mertesacker vs Suarez doesn't seem a fair fight, and if Arsenal want to give away free kicks outside the area then we'll be just as dangerous.

Now's the time for our team to show their pedigree, show their belief, passion, commitment and quality.

I don't want us to go to Arsenal and play like timid little kittens, or even come away with a point or even a close victory. I want us to go there and flex some muscle, show some swagger and completely and utterly crush the fucking bifters under foot. Totally crucify them and show them who's the fucking boss.

There's a new fucking sheriff in town, it's the same as the old sheriff; get fucking used to it.

High-Plains-Drifter-1973-Clint-Eastwood-

• Upvote 2

Would take a draw right now tbh.  They've been playing some great football & a point away to the other top four candidates can't be sniffed at.

Hopefully see the same team with Coutinho to get a run out in the second half.  He's struggled against the top sides at the best of times, coming back from a six week lay off straight into this fixture might be too much to ask.

• Upvote 1