You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jimmy Case autobiography

gkmacca

To you

It doesn't stack.

Money is made from selling books on the after dinner circuit, and he has spoken pretty successfully.

Self publishing and self promotion in this case seems an own goal.

Is he that desperate for cash that he wants money up front? Few will pay,so he ends up being worse off.

It doesn't stack.

Money is made from selling books on the after dinner circuit' date=' and he has spoken pretty successfully.

Self publishing and self promotion in this case seems an own goal.

Is he that desperate for cash that he wants money up front? Few will pay,so he ends up being worse off.[/quote']

Lots of people in the arts are doing this nowadays; films, music and books are all being financed by fans in the first instance. it is newish but becoming a very common phenomenon. Stop complaining and buy or don't.

Lots of people in the arts are doing this nowadays; films' date=' music and books are all being financed by fans in the first instance. it is newish but becoming a very common phenomenon. Stop complaining and buy or don't.[/quote']

I wouldn't waste your time. He didn't get it last time either.

Lots of people in the arts are doing this nowadays; films, music and books are all being financed by fans in the first instance. it is newish but becoming a very common phenomenon. Stop complaining and buy or don't.

I am not complaining, I am saying that it is odd.

Self publishing is increasingly popular with aspiring artists of all genres. Case is sufficiently well known to secure a publishing deal,so is it about money? But he should make more money from a slick sports publishing house. Or is it that the content was poor? But y all accounts his after dinner performances have been good. That was what I meant when I said it doesn't stack- or he has been poorly advised.

I am not complaining' date=' I am saying that it is odd.

Self publishing is increasingly popular with aspiring artists of all genres. Case is sufficiently well known to secure a publishing deal,so is it about money? But he should make more money from a slick sports publishing house. Or is it that the content was poor? But y all accounts his after dinner performances have been good. That was what I meant when I said it doesn't stack- or he has been poorly advised.[/quote']

I know in my heart that Juniper is right but...... Lots of well known people do this too. Ian McCullloch of the bunnymens last album for example. They make more money, they have an idea of how popular it will prove to be and they have cash in the bank early. It isn't odd, you just don't understand. The world is changing old man.

I know in my heart that Juniper is right but...... Lots of well known people do this too. Ian McCullloch of the bunnymens last album for example. They make more money, they have an idea of how popular it will prove to be and they have cash in the bank early. It isn't odd, you just don't understand. The world is changing old man.

On the contrary, it is you that don’t understand, and using Ian McCulloch as the standard bearer of The New Way, hardly supports your point.

Case is asking people to finance an unwritten book. That is wholly different from producing artistic material in any genre and then asking people to pay cutting out the historic middleman.

Talk me through the "Lots of well known people" who have asked the public to finance an unwritten book, or unrecorded album.

Let me know when YOU have caught up.

On the contrary' date=' it is you that don’t understand, and using Ian McCulloch as the standard bearer of The New Way, hardly supports your point.

Case is asking people to finance an unwritten book. That is wholly different from producing artistic material in any genre and then asking people to pay cutting out the historic middleman.

Talk me through the "Lots of well known people" who have asked the public to finance an unwritten book, or unrecorded album.

Let me know when YOU have caught up.[/quote']

Amanda Palmer has just raised about a million to record an album. Ian Mac is pretty well known. Another Mac, Ian Mcnabb just recorded and released an album this way. Big Duncan, but we are still waiting. Ginger from the Wildhearts, Ben Folds Five, George Benson, Bruce Foxton, Gang of Four, Jack Bruce, Brett Easton Ellis, Ed Begley jnr, Seth Godin, Whoopi Goldberg and more if you can be arsed searching. None of the fans heard, saw or read anything but coughed up beforehand.

Stick that in your pipe.

I have no problem with Jimmy doing it. I've donated to projects on Kickstarter because I've wanted to see them succeed. If you want to read the book, you're just paying up front.

It's a bit grim that he has to do this when even mediocre players in the Premier League basically win the lottery every year!

Edited by chrisbrand
typo

I have no problem with Jimmy doing it. I've donated to projects on Kickstarter because I've wanted to see them succeed. If you want to read the book' date=' you're just paying up front.

It's a bit grim that he has to do this when even mediocre players in the Premier League basically win the lottery every year![/quote']

I agree, loads of the greatest players our country has ever seen missed out while mediocre talent in even more mediocre teams become millionaires. Doing it this way he'll get a larger slice of the pie at least, as long as it sells.

Amanda Palmer has just raised about a million to record an album. Ian Mac is pretty well known. Another Mac, Ian Mcnabb just recorded and released an album this way. Big Duncan, but we are still waiting. Ginger from the Wildhearts, Ben Folds Five, George Benson, Bruce Foxton, Gang of Four, Jack Bruce, Brett Easton Ellis, Ed Begley jnr, Seth Godin, Whoopi Goldberg and more if you can be arsed searching. None of the fans heard, saw or read anything but coughed up beforehand.

Stick that in your pipe.

You do not understand the way it works- or Kickstarter.