You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

Guest davelfc
In fact, if you look it's only dropped to the level it was four months ago. https://www.google.com/search?q=sterling+to+dollar+exchange+rate&gws_rd=ssl

The dollar could also be strengthening for other reasons, like the chance of impending wars and shit like that.[/

It's only down a few cents, unless you are trading huge volumes of cash, that small pecentage will not make a big difference.

10 cents on what I got my cash for, paypal exchange even worse. It's not worth putting cut n paste from the net to help justify some reasoning that I'm not interested in. But thanks.

• Downvote 1

One of my friends works for RBS, accounts are being closed and transferred south at an alarming rate, the lack of publicity is to prevent a run on the Scottish banks, but I can't see that lasting.

This could become very interesting.

This is patent bollocks.  What would happen if the UK left the EU?  Would all the lights go out?  or would we continue to have our power supplied by foreign owned companies?  Would the trains stop running?   

This is patent bollocks. What would happen if the UK left the EU? Would all the lights go out? or would we continue to have our power supplied by foreign owned companies? Would the trains stop running?

That is not a fair comparison. We have our own currency. What would happen if Greece or Ireland left the EU is a better question.

That is not a fair comparison. We have our own currency. What would happen if Greece or Ireland left the EU is a better question.

The right wing nutters would take over in Greece. They'd run all the newcomers out and then realize the only industry they have that functions is tourism and there is no one to cook and clean for all tourists.

For Ireland, they'd just all fuck off to Boston when the EU money dried up.

Nah.  Scotland at the moment could be financially independent.  Greece and Ireland are completely fucked.  

I disagree, Stringy

Scotland would eventually become financially independent and, i'm sure, very successful like Ireland before the crash

They'll be fucked for a generation before that

Be brat if there was a big door; they knock and someone like Robbie Coltrane opens it and says "YES?  WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?"

With a scantily clad Kirsty Young under one arm, and Kirsty Wark under the other. Then Sam Torrance and Colin Montgomerie leap over their heads and tee off on those twats.

It's not worth putting cut n paste from the net to help justify some reasoning that I'm not interested in. But thanks.

Sorry for pasting a link to a graph tracking the currency rate. I really do hope you will forgive me. I didn't realise sir wouldn't be interested!

Fucking hell!

• Upvote 1

The right wing nutters would take over in Greece. They'd run all the newcomers out and then realize the only industry they have that functions is tourism and there is no one to cook and clean for all tourists.

For Ireland, they'd just all fuck off to Boston when the EU money dried up.

Probably! A certain amount of hyperbole is creeping into the conversation now though. There has been some good discussion on this thread the last couple of weeks or so, the last few days since it's been in the headlines more it's gone downhill.

" Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees " is something you said. Is that what's really happening here? Come on.

I saw someone saw fuck Mark carney the other day. While I broadly agree with the sentiment, an independent Scotland would be using a currency controlled by him with even less consideration towards them than they get now.

Stringy, I think you're burying your head in the sand over a lot of issues. The people living in Scotland on here are sound and know the risks but think it's worth taking anyway. I understand and respect that. Just saying they don't need the pound and everything would be fine if big chunks of their financial sector moved South is being naive in the extreme in my opinion.

It's going to cost jobs, it's going to mean a rise in mortgage payments etc... again, if you think that's a risk worth taking then to for it and I hope it works out. Denying the risk exists isn't doing anyone any favours though.

I'm trying this on my phone so apologies for any typos etc...

Good article

the rest of the UK would be fucked as well...great

You seem to me to be just taking on board the things that confirm your thoughts, and more pertinently your fears. There are lots of reasons to be optimistic for Scotland too, but you are happy to dismiss them.

It's really impossible to predict what would/will happen, but I think I'd be voting yes if I was Scottish. 

I disagree, Stringy

Scotland would eventually become financially independent and, i'm sure, very successful like Ireland before the crash

They'll be fucked for a generation before that

I don't see it.  You're discounting the huge surge in SMEs which will rise up to support the local economy.  Imagine being able to close tax loopholes for individuals and businesses?  You don't want to pay your way Starbucks?  Then you're not getting in.  Fuck off.  What about you, Murdoch?  

New banks, new industries, flexibility in providing incentives to persuade large foreign manufacturers to invest in Scotland, reduced dependence on trade deals with disreputable regimes etc etc.  

Scotland could easily borrow money for the transition phase at very reasonable rates through its oil revenues.    Ireland's fate was tied in to the fate of the EU.  Scotland's won't be to anywhere near the same degree.  

• Upvote 4

Probably! A certain amount of hyperbole is creeping into the conversation now though. There has been some good discussion on this thread the last couple of weeks or so, the last few days since it's been in the headlines more it's gone downhill.

" Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees " is something you said. Is that what's really happening here? Come on.

I saw someone saw fuck Mark carney the other day. While I broadly agree with the sentiment, an independent Scotland would be using a currency controlled by him with even less consideration towards them than they get now.

Stringy, I think you're burying your head in the sand over a lot of issues. The people living in Scotland on here are sound and know the risks but think it's worth taking anyway. I understand and respect that. Just saying they don't need the pound and everything would be fine if big chunks of their financial sector moved South is being naive in the extreme in my opinion.

It's going to cost jobs, it's going to mean a rise in mortgage payments etc... again, if you think that's a risk worth taking then to for it and I hope it works out. Denying the risk exists isn't doing anyone any favours though.

I'm trying this on my phone so apologies for any typos etc...

I'm not burying my head in the sand over any of it, or at least I hope not.  

Remaining allied to the pound in the long term would be a complete mistake imo.  Without financial independence, or at least negotiating any association under your own terms, you are destined to fail.  In Sotland's case, they would be far better to align with the Euro.