You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

never loved him in the same way i did or do fowler, gerrard, carra.... very soon realised it was about owen and no-one else. he did great things for us and i'm grateful to him for his goals, especially the cup final ....

however..... he sold his soul to the devil and for that i cant forgive him. boring horse cunt.

If that is how you treat one of our finest players, heaven help the rest.

Sorry Xerxes, not having any of that. The way he strung us out before moving to Real Madrid, moving to the Mancs and some questionable stuff in between, not to mention his dubious comments while with the Mancs that were obvious bachkand put-downs to Liverpool and our fans, doesn't bestow "greatness" upon him in my eyes. No way. Edit - "greatness" is my word - not Xerxes. However, for the same reasons I offer above, he left "finest" at the door when he left, by the manner in which he left and with his subsequent actions.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

▄█▀█▀█▄
        ▄█▀  █  ▀█▄
       ▄█▀       ▀█▄
       █          █
       █          █
       ▀█▄▄  █   ▄█▀
         █  ▄▀▄  █
         █ ▀   ▀ █
         █       █
         █       █
         █  OWEN   █
         █       █
         █       █
   ▄█▀▀█▄█       █▄█▀█▄
 ▄█▀▀    ▀            ▀▀█
█▀                      ▀█
█                        █
█           ▄█▄          █
▀█         █▀ ▀█        █▀
 ▀█▄      █▀   ▀█     ▄█▀
   ▀█▄▄▄█▀      ▀█▄▄▄█▀

Sorry Xerxes, not having any of that. The way he strung us out before moving to Real Madrid, moving to the Mancs and some questionable stuff in between, not to mention his dubious comments while with the Mancs that were obvious bachkand put-downs to Liverpool and our fans, doesn't bestow "greatness" upon him in my eyes. No way. Edit - "greatness" is my word - not Xerxes. However, for the same reasons I offer above, he left "finest" at the door when he left, by the manner in which he left and with his subsequent actions.

That is fair comment- I understand why you feel as you do.

Ironically the reason why I don't feel so passionate about him as some IS because he hadn't really created that passion in the first place.

Mascherano refusing to play for us to get a move wound me up, Macca running down his contract wound me up, Owen less so.

Mcmanaman leaving didn't annoy me,we were miles from winning anything and from what I have read tried offloading him to Barca the year before.

I can't stand Owen,never felt attached to him the same as I did with Fowler.There just wasn't that same connection.Robbie was ours,everything about him was a Liverpool player.Owen felt like he was loaning himself out to the club.

That isnt going on to better things considering the year after he left we won the treble and have won everything bar the league since he left.

I never said it was. You said Friedel hadn't won't anything:

Brad Freidel hasnt won anything.

That's incorrect, he won the League Cup.

That isnt going on to better things considering the year after he left we won the treble and have won everything bar the league since he left.

it depends what way your looking at it really, in terms of winning things he hasn't gone on to better things but from a personal perspective he has done better than sitting on our bench and went on to become a top premier league keeper for years

then you have Torres/Owen who have won stuff but as individuals have seen their careers go down the pan

Or maybe you don't?

Some love faux outrage. He served the club with distinction for eight years, winning six trophies when he was with us. He is a pro footballer, not a fan. As we looked increasingly unlikely to be title challengers he took the opportunity to play for another one of the world's great clubs, we got a fee and a player in return.

The pain was not his conduct, it was our realisation that we could no longer retain our best players, the CL win was nonetheless sweet. Injury blighted his career thereafter, does him subsquently being a bit part player for man u really bother you? I barely noticed.

In recent years, as success has thinned, some have assumed a bitter churlish attitude to fine past servants of the club- as Owen was.

It hurt when he left- but that does not mean that i don't appreciate, and remember the good times.

You forgot about his come and get me plea to us while at Madrid.

Everything done and dusted until the barcodes put in a riddiculous bid for him and stupid wages.

He is a mercinary cunt who put country above club from the day he got his first cap.

That is fair comment- I understand why you feel as you do.

Ironically the reason why I don't feel so passionate about him as some IS because he hadn't really created that passion in the first place.

Mascherano refusing to play for us to get a move wound me up, Macca running down his contract wound me up, Owen less so.

No woriries xerx. It's all abut opinions mate, that what makes this place so interesting. It'd be boring if we had the same views on everything. I agree with you on Macca. Less so Masch, only because that was stupid and emotive (IMO) rather than pre-meditated over a prior period of time.

You forgot about his come and get me plea to us while at Madrid.Everything done and dusted until the barcodes put in a riddiculous bid for him and stupid wages.He is a mercinary cunt who put country above club from the day he got his first cap.

He was, and is, an incredibly focussed individual, most top goalscorers are. We enjoyed the benefit of that for eight seasons- not bad.

Professional footballers are mercenaries, welcome to pro sport.

I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to diss him, their call. I do think that the outstanding contribution he made to our club, and over a long time, needs to be recognised though. Since 1998 Owen was our top scorer every season until he left the club making a nonsense of your club versus country claim. He was outstanding for England in his pomp too.

The main thing that pissed me off about him was when he recently sided with his best mate Ferguson and tried to claim that we had ruined his career.

He was always the first one to moan or look pissed off if he was rested and admitted it himself. In fact the injury that I think really ruined him was the cruciate knee ligaments injury at the world cup in 2006, when he was already injured and unfit and should never have been there in the first place.

He was always the first one to moan or look pissed off if he was rested and admitted it himself. In fact the injury that I think really ruined him was the cruciate knee ligaments injury at the world cup in 2006, when he was already injured and unfit and should never have been there in the first place.

This is true. I told anyone who would listen at the time that there was no point in taking Owen, because when he was coming back from an injury it usually took him a few games to hit form. A few games of bad form in the WC and you're out. Most predictable injury ever when he collapsed with nobody near him.

Holy fuck there's loads of these about

I'm hijacking this thread with a bunch of them.

That's correct Xerxes, i'm not joining you in lauding the jumped up prick. Instead i'm using his retirement thread to poke fun at him and other whoppers in the game.

Huzzah!

ACbrandvalues-1.jpg