You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers. Worra guy

Melchett

We are on the right track. I like him a lot and think he is doing well. It's annoying, however, that the defense now appears to need a lot of work just as we've got the attack (mostly) sorted.
I think the defence is fine just now, carra is keeping martin out as the lad wasnt at it. Glen Johnson is pure quality, enrique is getting his finger out and Daniel Agger is confident, the back four/five is a society and a brotherhood and we have good harmony at the back just now, lets challenge for those 30 remaining points

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he turns up next week in a white shirt, white tie, white pullover and white blazer then I will be convinced that he is the man to adapt to all situations and pull it off for us, in the face of multi coloured clothing opponents.

Bit concerned that the opposition had 11 shots on target. A better team would convert a few of them.

Big criticism of this and most Liverpool teams over the last 15 or so years is the way we start playing good stuff once we've got no trophies left to play for.This doesnt apply to Rodgers in particular as we've done it for years and its why I'll hang fire for a while before I start kissing his arse.

Coutinho looked ace though and Pepe made some brilliant stops.

Spot on, this.

I have said this before, we are a very weak team mentally and it is one of the biggest challenges that Rodgers faces at the club.

We were like that in 96/97, excellent to get to the top, terrible when it counted to stay at the top. 08/09 was similar, great to get to the top, then lots of silly draws and a couple of defeats, great again when we were chasing Utd.

It's the culture of the club.

If Rodgers can sort that out, he'll take us a long way.

We have generally improved loads towards the end of seasons were there is no trophy left to play for.

Its fine playing good stuff but its the points that matter. We played lots of good stuff under Kenny too but the points tally simply wasnt anywhere near as good as it should have been.

Rodgers isnt revolutionising the way we play football but if he gets points from teams that are competing for trophies and the league then we will have reason for optimism.

A 4 0 away win v Wigan is nice but its not as good as beating Utd 2 1 or City 1 0 in my book.

Hard to argue with all of that. Mentality is still a huge issue.

However, it was refreshing to see our goalkeeper actually prevent the opposition scoring goals and senior international defenders not gifting them the same yesterday.

Rodgers has made mistakes but he's also been badly let down by both goalkeepers and every defender bar Wisdom and arguably Enrique at some point this season, and as fantastic as he's been over the last three months, Gerrard was anonymous for the same length of time at the start of the season.

At the other end, Suarez is playing the best football of his career, Sturridge and Coutinho have been immense and even Downing is up to the level of a Riera-type reliable option. Compare our firepower now to big Andy shambling around in midfield while Suarez did everything twelve months ago.

Pretty clear where we need to improve in the transfer market and home wins against Spurs and Everton before then would be a sign of further progression.

Bit concerned that the opposition had 11 shots on target. A better team would convert a few of them.

Big criticism of this and most Liverpool teams over the last 15 or so years is the way we start playing good stuff once we've got no trophies left to play for.

This doesnt apply to Rodgers in particular as we've done it for years and its why I'll hang fire for a while before I start kissing his arse.

Coutinho looked ace though and Pepe made some brilliant stops.

You're jumping the gun a bit here. This the first game since we went out of the europa.

We've hammered wigan, fulham, sunderland, swsnsea and norwich twice while we had more than just league position to play for.

What we've lacked of course is consistency and we should see that now we're only playing for league position.

We have generally improved loads towards the end of seasons were there is no trophy left to play for.

Its fine playing good stuff but its the points that matter. We played lots of good stuff under Kenny too but the points tally simply wasnt anywhere near as good as it should have been.

Rodgers isnt revolutionising the way we play football but if he gets points from teams that are competing for trophies and the league then we will have reason for optimism.

A 4 0 away win v Wigan is nice but its not as good as beating Utd 2 1 or City 1 0 in my book.

Being able to beat the big boys hasn't won us any leagues.

You only have to listen to ferguson talking about how important their game against norwich was yesterday a few days ahead of a credit crucial game with Madrid and his actions matched his words as he played his first choice strike force.

Our downfall for years has been our complacency against weaker teams. This year we've been largely ruthless apart from 2 or 3 relapses. What we need to do is continue to dispose of shit teams and improve against bigger teams.

Winning 80/90% of our home games would help also.

We lock one door and another one opens up.

You're jumping the gun a bit here. This the first game since we went out of the europa.

We've hammered wigan, fulham, sunderland, swsnsea and norwich twice while we had more than just league position to play for.

But they are not Utd or City though are they? We've sandwiched in poor defeats at home to Villa and West Brom too.

What we've lacked of course is consistency and we should see that now we're only playing for league position.

Yep,consistency is the key and it usually means beating a good percentage of both the top teams and the weaker ones too. Not all of course but a good few.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a fan; there's much to do and much to prove but I like his approach to the game and I think he's carried himself brilliantly. I'm really pleased he's our manager and I'm right behind him.

Still feel he'd benefit from a DoF or at least a very experienced assistant.

Yep,consistency is the key and it usually means beating a good percentage of both the top teams and the weaker ones too. Not all of course but a good few.

We regularly beat all them when we were top 4 but we couldn't take next step to win the league mostly because we were so shit against teams we should beat. Looks like we're addressing that this year but we've been unable to get wins against teams above us

However, it was refreshing to see our goalkeeper actually prevent the opposition scoring goals and senior international defenders not gifting them the same yesterday.

Rodgers has made mistakes but he's also been badly let down by both goalkeepers and every defender bar Wisdom and arguably Enrique at some point this season, and as fantastic as he's been over the last three months, Gerrard was anonymous for the same length of time at the start of the season.

At the other end, Suarez is playing the best football of his career, Sturridge and Coutinho have been immense and even Downing is up to the level of a Riera-type reliable option. Compare our firepower now to big Andy shambling around in midfield while Suarez did everything twelve months ago.

Pretty clear where we need to improve in the transfer market and home wins against Spurs and Everton before then would be a sign of further progression.

A great read, and a fair and balanced assessment.

Guest San Don
Being able to beat the big boys hasn't won us any leagues.

You only have to listen to ferguson talking about how important their game against norwich was yesterday a few days ahead of a credit crucial game with Madrid and his actions matched his words as he played his first choice strike force.

Our downfall for years has been our complacency against weaker teams. This year we've been largely ruthless apart from 2 or 3 relapses. What we need to do is continue to dispose of shit teams and improve against bigger teams.

Winning 80/90% of our home games would help also.

This.

I've 4 fucking muppets who sit behind me every game for the last 20 years. (it used to be 2 but somehow, they mind melding the two fans on either side of them and every fucking match is like how I'd presume a meeting of the mothers union would go!) and every year they all said in unison, 'we wont win the league until we beat the 3 teams above us.'

That is until we did beat them all when the muppets all chimed in with 'we wont win the title until we stop dropping points against the lower teams at home.'

Er, yeah, ok.

This.

I've 4 fucking muppets who sit behind me every game for the last 20 years. (it used to be 2 but somehow, they mind melding the two fans on either side of them and every fucking match is like how I'd presume a meeting of the mothers union would go!) and every year they all said in unison, 'we wont win the league until we beat the 3 teams above us.'

That is until we did beat them all when the muppets all chimed in with 'we wont win the title until we stop dropping points against the lower teams at home.'

Er, yeah, ok.

Quite right. The rules say it's three points for a win against QPR or Man City. Although I hate Man U with a passion, I grudgingly admire their ability to normally crush modest opposition like we used to.

This.

Er, yeah, ok.

Theyre actually right on both counts but we have to do both of those things in the same season to have any chance of challenging for a CL place let alone the title itself.