You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Well, my mate works for the club and he's said we have told that moses and mata are available. He's not sure if it was chelsea or the agents, but we have been sounded out.

He's also heard that mourinho has said that mata cant leave for any prem team, apart from us.

Like all of us, he doesnt think he have the slightest chance in getting mata, but this is what is being talked about at the club.

That's nice of him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
All over Europe, hearts are breaking.

He has a good reputation in Italy, as he did very well for Roma and for Italy U21s. I guess his career's over now, though. Five league starts and that's enough to end a career.

is right i get the feeling FSG after being stung by the carroll/downing fiasco are hesitant to go extra mile BUT i hope they back brendan because IF we keep suarez and buy a couple top players well get that champs league spot and kick on

Carroll was bought on potential, downing who knows!! but Mata is a proven premiership player, so even if they yanks know nothing about football they should know that going for mata will massively help the team. If they have a chance to get him and they don't even try then they are stupid.

Maybe Mourinho is thinking that if we have Mata then we will take points off their rivals whilst not troubling them in the title race. That's the only logic I can find in the idea that he would only sell him to us.

All of this of course is probably besides the point, as it seems highly unlikely that the player would actually want to come here.

Well, my mate works for the club and he's said we have told that moses and mata are available. He's not sure if it was chelsea or the agents, but we have been sounded out.

He's also heard that mourinho has said that mata cant leave for any prem team, apart from us.

Like all of us, he doesnt think he have the slightest chance in getting mata, but this is what is being talked about at the club.

Interesting the love of Mourinho for Liverpool!!!! Didn't start now, did it? Self-confessed childhood fan. But I would still be wary... very wary.

Easy. Sign Mata. If FSG sign Mata, I will make a thread, appreciating them. But you see, they won't do it. All they want is to milk the cow. It's so easy to win the fans, support the manager and challenge for Top 4. Fuck the CBs and DMS, just sign Mata, even on loan and everyone will become positive about their plan. But they won't do it and their appreciators will spend months convincing everybody that they are great although they made profit from our transfers this summer.

Mourinho is an unfulfilled romance for me. I remember in his first press conference as a Chelsea manager back in 2004 he said he wanted to be remembered like Shankly and Paisley.

I also remember that we approached him before Rafa and he said that he would have signed for us if he hadn't given his promise to Chelsea and hadn't signed a pre-contract with them already.

why isn't everyone/anyone else spending similar?

by everyone you mean Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton? take a guess.

I read a piece in one of the decent papers the other day that Mourinho had done lots of analysis and concluded that Mata slowed down their counter attacks - it was a decent piece to be fair and we've seen often enough here that when a manager declines to say something positive about a speculated player but singles out other similar players for praise that there's usually an issue with the player in question.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea use Mata as part of the Rooney bid and whilst he isn't what Utd need he would be a step up from Young, Valencia,Kagawa, etc. If Rafa was here I think we'd get him purely because of the Spanish connection but I think it'd be a massive long shot to get him here as is.

Ref wage savings - I can't be sure but I reckon we've only saved about 100k per week so far if you consider that Carroll was on loan last season - this would go towards a 25m signing although if Suarez does sign a new contract I bet it includes a significant wage increase to match what he could have got elsewhere (maybe 40k a week to take him to 160k).

Re Moses - Rodgers has said the squad has enough depth and that we need quality - I don't see how Moses brings this and as others have said it will stifle Ibe and Sterlings progress although I can see Sterling going on loan if we sign someone good.

The statement that we can compete with any club for any player and that we have the funds to get us back to the top seem to be less believable the closer we get to the close of the transfer window.

There is talent out there and plenty of quality that we could potentially attract but we seem to be doing loan deals now?

We've watched the teams below strengthen, our rivals for EL and CL have strengthened or are stronger than us even without strengthening and those 2-3 who are on another level to us just keep spending and improving and strengthening.

We have added quality to the squad and now need additions and starters, quality 1st team players, to push us on to the next level ..Brendan himself has said as much.

But it's not happening.

Are the conspiracy theorists right? Are we lowballing and offering low wages knowing we won't sign players but keeping fans happy that we've 'bid' for players?

Does nobody want to come here?

Are we targeting the wrong players?

I'm not sure what's going on

Maybe Mourinho is thinking that if we have Mata then we will take points off their rivals whilst not troubling them in the title race. That's the only logic I can find in the idea that he would only sell him to us.

All of this of course is probably besides the point, as it seems highly unlikely that the player would actually want to come here.

The 2 Manc clubs are rivals for the league.

Spurs maybe outside chance too.

I'd guess he simply doesn't view us as serious rivals for the league.

He wouldn't let him go to Arsenal I'd imagine just on the off chance they come up against each other in the CL at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea use Mata as part of the Rooney bid and whilst he isn't what Utd need he would be a step up from Young, Valencia,Kagawa, etc.

I don't think that would happen as Van Persie would then be a lot more likely to win them matches with Mata's supply, and their side would be stronger either way, so it could backfire on them badly. Maureen is probably enjoying the thought of winding Moyes up this year too, and if they sell them Mata, Moyes could always mock him and his club back because they sold Utd such a good player.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If we signed Mata we'd be in the title race

That first choice front four would be genuinely special, wouldn't it. Just that one more top talent would really help. Then I think we're a top class DM and a top quality, dominating CB away from really giving it a crack again.

I want back in the CL, mate. It's what I enjoy most.

This mentions it briefly

The packed ranks of Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge yesterday had their dream start to the season. The “Special One” was back in the dugout and six years of hurt were finally over.

Well, not quite hurt. In the post-Mourinho era, Chelsea won one title, a Champions League, three FA Cups and a Europa League. Even so, a sense of loss and confusion hung around the Matthew Harding Stand throughout this period. No one replaced the Portuguese in the supporters’ affections. He can play to the crowd like nobody else. This was underlined when Mourinho referred to the supporters as “my Blues brothers” in his programme notes yesterday.

A special moment indeed.

Yet two people in the stadium may have felt a bit sheepish yesterday. It was not quite the start to the season that they might have anticipated in the spring.

Roman Abramovich hoped to open the campaign with Pep Guardiola prowling the sidelines. Instead, the Russian had to settle for second best.

Mourinho, too, appeared to be a little abashed. He flirted outrageously with Manchester United but failed to get a squeak of interest from Old Trafford. It is not love that has brought manager and owner back together but expediency. It is a marriage of convenience and neither side would have entered into it if there had been a better option available.

Nine years ago, it was different. Mourinho was the hottest managerial talent available and Chelsea, with Abramovich’s bottomless coffers available for transfer targets, the job everyone wanted. Mourinho had control and built the squad he wanted.

This will be a much tougher test of the manager’s ability. Abramovich deemed that Mourinho’s physical, fast-breaking style of play with rock-solid defence was too dull. Chelsea have become more expansive and less solid. That Juan Mata was left on the bench was no surprise. The Spain midfielder frequently slows the play and takes the pace out of the counter-attack.

Mata is not the only one. Oscar and Eden Hazard do not look like Mourinho players, nor David Luiz or Fernando Torres. The pursuit of Wayne Rooney — despite clear messages from Old Trafford that the striker is not for sale to Chelsea — suggests that Mourinho wants a powerful striker to act as a foil for the midfield runners. There is an abundance of No 10s at the Bridge but the eagerness to sign the England striker sends a clear message that the manager is looking for directness.

It is noticeable that Mourinho has not wielded the chequebook since his arrival. His power to choose potential recruits this time around is restricted. The selection of players has been largely taken out of the manager’s hands at Chelsea and run on a committee basis. It will not be up for discussion.

If the former Real Madrid coach decides to butt heads with the boardroom at the Bridge the same as he did at the Bernabéu, he is bound to come a cropper.

There are numerous checks on the manager’s power at Chelsea. Perhaps one of the most significant moves in the aftermath of Mourinho’s appointment in June was the elevation of Marina Granovskaia to the board. The Russian was Abramovich’s personal assistant but has grown in influence at the club over the past three years and has proved a very impressive operator.

Granovskaia figured heavily in the negotiations that took Torres to the club and has been involved in the recruitment process of managers. She is the day-to-day link between owner and staff at Chelsea and is frequently the conduit for Abramovich’s analysis of the manager’s performance, positive or otherwise.

In his previous tenure. Mourinho was able to build his own empire. Now, there is a different, established structure in place and any attempt to undermine it will be clamped down on quickly.

It should turn out well. The Portuguese is still one of the finest managers in the game. He has plenty of quality available to him. He will not, however, have things his own way.

If Mourinho can get used to that, things will go well second time around. If not, things could fall apart at the Bridge very, very quickly.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
CL nights are immense. Plus I love having an excuse to get pissed during the week.

Juve and Real being put to the sword at Anfield, Inter and Barca being beaten in their own back yards. I fucking love it.

That first choice front four would be genuinely special, wouldn't it. Just that one more top talent would really help. Then I think we're a top class DM and a top quality, dominating CB away from really giving it a crack again.

I want back in the CL, mate. It's what I enjoy most.

I think we are going to rattle a few cages this season.

We aren't meant to finish in the top four. We are just a mid table team these days over reliant on an over rated striker who wants out.

It's going to be good getting one over on all these cunts who are fans of these gobshite sides who think we aren't any good. Starting with villa and moving on to them on Sunday.

haha, there is not a fucking hope they'd sell us Mata nor is there any chance that he'd even consider joining us.