You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Big clubs have always been able to outgun the smaller clubs for fees and wages, City, Chelsea and Man U are no different in this era than in era’s past.

We outgunned other clubs but we could never blow them out of the water. And we didn't outgun the likes of United even back then in the 80's, they were still paying massive wages and fees for players. Ditto Spurs, look at them getting Gascoigne from Newcastle ahead of United for £2m, and buying Lineker off Barcelona. They've thrown money around with the best of them when it suited.

In fact, I take total exception to the notion that we blew other clubs out of the water in terms of money.

If you take for example this timeline of sales across a few clubs...

20 August 1986 – Tottenham Hotspur sign Dundee United and Scotland defender Richard Gough for £700,000.

21 August 1986 – Everton pay a club record £1million to sign the 24-year-old Norwich City defender Dave Watson.

3 October 1986 – Tottenham Hotspur sign Belgian striker Nico Claesen from Standard Liège for £600,000

6 January 1987 – Ian Snodin joins Everton for £840,000 from Leeds United

27 January 1987 – Liverpool sign Oxford United striker John Aldridge, 28, for a fee of £750,000

12 March 1987 – Oxford United pay a club record £600,000 for Brighton & Hove Albion striker Dean Saunders in a bid to avoid relegation

26 March 1987 – Arsenal pay Leicester City £850,000 for 24-year-old striker Alan Smith, and then loan him back to Leicester until the end of the season.

10 June 1987 – Liverpool sign John Barnes from Watford for £800,000.

24 June 1987 – England goalkeeper Peter Shilton leaves Southampton for newly promoted Derby County in a deal reported to be worth up to £1million – the highest fee for a goalkeeper in British football

6 August 1987 – Peter Beardsley becomes the most expensive player to move between British clubs when he joins Liverpool in a £1.9 million deal from Newcastle United.

10 June 1988 – Tottenham Hotspur sign Paul Stewart from Manchester City for £1.5 million deal.

7 July 1988 – Tottenham Hotspur complete a British transfer record £2 million deal for 21-year-old Newcastle United midfielder Paul Gascoigne.

20 July 1988 – After two seasons at Barcelona, Mark Hughes returns to Manchester United for a club record £1.8 million, breaking the previous record of £1.75million that the club paid for Bryan Robson seven years ago.

25 July 1988 – Less than three weeks after Tottenham broke the national transfer record, a new record is set when Everton complete the signing of West Ham United's 23-year-old striker Tony Cottee for £2.2 million.

18 August 1988 – After an unhappy season at Juventus, Ian Rush returns to Liverpool for £2.8million. It is the third time in two months that the national transfer fee record has been broken.

Does that really show that we were blowing everyone out of the water? I mean, newly promoted Derby spent more on a goalkeeper than we spent on John Barnes.

In 1987 we paid £1.9m for Beardsley, but the critics conveniently forget that United paid £1.75m for Bryan Robson in 1981...

Bear in mind that the Barclays deal with the First Division was signed in 1987 (ish) and was for three years, at a cost of £5m. That's right, five million. Derby spent 20% of the overall TV deal money of that era on Peter Shilton, already about 40.

Today is nothing like yesterday.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We outgunned other clubs but we could never blow them out of the water.............Today is nothing like yesterday.

We outgunned them, you accept that. A combination of our gate money and our prize money ensured that. Our wages were the best, with only Man U snapping at our heels. That combined with winning things keeps players.

You confuse what we could do, with what we chose to do. I agree with you that there was a rich tradition of buying well, rather than at the top of the market, but that was through choice, not necessity. We do not have the experience on the staff to be replicating that easily at the moment.

Today is nothing like yesterday because we can no longer do either.

On topic, we are now in uncharted territory.Although our ability to pay top dollar has gradually eroded, the lure of our status and of winning things, kept the recruitment wheels turning for the better players. That cycle is now over.

I wholly agree with you that wages, and contracts, need to be sensible. Furthermore if we are pursuing a "polishing rough diamonds " policy you do cash in on some, and some you will win and some you will lose, Pacheco and Sterling being the latest on the production line.

Nothing to do with Sterling really,all agents,they hardly give a fuck if its good for his career that he gets a good contract two or three years down the line.

His current agent needs a bumper contract now hence why he will try and create a situation like he has now.

Sterling made a b line for the support last night,he clapped and him and Carra where the most responsive after the game.He is a brilliant lad by all accounts always is respectful of the fans and club of twitter.

Nothing to do with Sterling really,all agents,they hardly give a fuck if its good for his career that he gets a good contract two or three years down the line.

His current agent needs a bumper contract now hence why he will try and create a situation like he has now.

Sterling made a b line for the support last night,he clapped and him and Carra where the most responsive after the game.He is a brilliant lad by all accounts always is respectful of the fans and club of twitter.

Quite surprised by what you say about Sterling.

Ive been following him on twitter since he went on it.

Off hand I cant ever remember him saying about the crowd ever.

He seems a real homely type of person who absolutely hates staying away from home.

Ive probably missed some of the stuff he has said.

On the other hand Suso does nothing but praise the fans and he thanks them first before talking about the game.

So does Pacheko although not quite as often as Suso.

Yeah let him go. We'll find a better one, like the previous decade we were looking for a decent winger. Ian Ayre will work his magic.

Yeah, cos its the Managing directors job to go scouting players and sign them.

This thread is hilarious. Refusing to give a 17 year old £50k is an excuse for kicking and screaming about how bad the owners are. Beyond pathetic.

Brendan Rodgers has taken a hands-on role in Raheem Sterling's contract negotiations to ensure the deal reaches a successful conclusion.

Sterling is 18 today, and it was envisaged when contract talks began earlier this year that his birthday celebrations would coincide with Liverpool announcing a new long-term contract for the precocious winger.

That will not be the case. Talks between Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre and Sterling's advisers continue but Rodgers, weary of the speculation surrounding the discussions, is confident things will soon be wrapped up. In order to reach that point, Rodgers has spoken on several occasions to Sterling. He has reminded him about the chance he has been afforded at Anfield, the role Liverpool have played in his development and the rewards that will be there for him if he makes the right moves. 'There are good conversations and there is no worry or concern - it will be resolved,' said Rodgers. 'I'm comfortable with it. The club is working on it very well; Ian Ayre's doing a good job. I've spoken to the agent; there's no problem. 'There has been a lot made of it but there are still 18 months left (on Sterling's current deal). He's a young kid and we just want to make sure that everything's right for him to be nurtured. I have spoken to Raheem. I've gone through what I'd call the core elements of his development.'

From when Rodgers first spoke publicly about Sterling signing a new contract on September 15, he has maintained this would not be the most lucrative deal of his career and re-emphasised the England international's potential will not be spoiled by finance.

That theme has been constant in the discussions Rodgers and Sterling have had and Liverpool's manager has gone to great lengths to advise him to look at the bigger picture, rather than think about the money that other clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City would be prepared to offer.

'There is a plan in place for him,' said Rodgers. 'There's a commitment there and he's a real good kid. It's quite low profile. We just want to make sure it's right for him and he feels it. I believe he does. It'll get done sooner or later.

'He will have all the tools here, at one of the top football clubs in the world, to progress. I don't want the club or the kid being affected by over-the-odds demands. All the figures that get bandied about for kids these days can destroy them.'

There is no doubt that Sterling's development has been one of the main talking points of Liverpool's campaign but, after making 22 appearances and scoring one goal, there will come a point when Rodgers needs to preserve him by taking him out of the team.

'I'm in the business of trying to help nurture these kids,' Rodgers said. 'Money distorts the reality, I've always said that. So I've always tried to ensure that I give my point of view on it. It's about being sensible rather than going over the top.

'We as a staff are on our toes to make him better, then hopefully from that, we'll get excellence,' he added. 'It's then his responsibility to deliver.'

From the Mail

NbSWq.jpg

Right, I started reading this thread and got so annoyed I couldn't finish, I just had to say; £40k/week, £5000 per goal and £5000 per assist (they're all goals!) with a 10% annual rise dependant on appearances and/or performance.

Footballers all have agents and they are greedy manipulative cunts, they have to prove their worth and so they go overboard, it's the nature..

Sterling has shown some poor judgement on the pitch, I forgave him in the derby, I just thought he was fired up for the derby, and maybe he was, but he is not even near the finished article.

On his day he is unplayable, but how often will that be? At the moment it's about once every 4 games, it has to improve and it will, but is this a bridge to far for this manager (not picking on, we haven't a great record recently of managers who are down with the youths)?

Sterling is a great prospect, manage the player AND manage the man properly then almost any amount of money is worth it in the long run, so long as you have a decent backroom staff and years of topflight management experience then no Problem.

The manager needs to shut up and do the talking on the pitch!

I feel better now, cheers.

Right, I started reading this thread and got so annoyed I couldn't finish, I just had to say; £40k/week, £5000 per goal and £5000 per assist (they're all goals!) with a 10% annual rise dependant on appearances and/or performance.

Footballers all have agents and they are greedy manipulative cunts, they have to prove their worth and so they go overboard, it's the nature..

Sterling has shown some poor judgement on the pitch, I forgave him in the derby, I just thought he was fired up for the derby, and maybe he was, but he is not even near the finished article.

On his day he is unplayable, but how often will that be? At the moment it's about once every 4 games, it has to improve and it will, but is this a bridge to far for this manager (not picking on, we haven't a great record recently of managers who are down with the youths)?

Sterling is a great prospect, manage the player AND manage the man properly then almost any amount of money is worth it in the long run, so long as you have a decent backroom staff and years of topflight management experience then no Problem.

The manager needs to shut up and do the talking on the pitch!

I feel better now, cheers.

It's Allan the Weasel!!!!!!

Bask in his glow!!!!!

Play your cards right: Liverpool's plan to make birthday boy Sterling a world-beater

When Raheem Sterling turns 18 on Saturday, there will be more than just a birthday card in the post from Brendan Rodgers.

Liverpool manager Rodgers has revealed he’s stepped in to take a personal interest in the teenager’s contract negotiations, as he attempts to ensure the gifted youngster is offered the best possible platform to develop his frightening talent.

Rodgers has spent much of his career nurturing youngsters, and he knows more than most managers about the pitfalls that can beset players as they enter the world of *professional football.

The Reds chief is meticulous in his planning, and he revealed he sat down with Sterling and talked him through a detailed programme designed to ensure he becomes the star Rodgers believes he can be.

He said: “I’ve talked at length to Raheem and gone through what I’d call the core elements of his *development.

“First and foremost, there’s the commitment from us as a club to him, and, likewise, from him to us.

“Then, after that, we’ve talked about the plan and the development, going forwards over this period of time.

“It’s then his responsibility to deliver. Because he’ll have all the tools here at Liverpool Football Club – one of the top football clubs in the world – in order to progress.

“But that is the responsibility of the player.

“So there’s a plan in place for him – there’s a commitment there – and he’s a real good kid.

“It’s quite low profile, really. We just want to make sure it’s right for him and he feels it, and I believe he does. I will get it done sooner or later.”

It is typical of Rodgers that he has spent so much time and energy on putting in place a complete, *professional plan to get the most from his young attacker, and ensure Sterling's potential is fulfilled.

Few top-flight managers are as qualified in dealing with the

development of kids, and Sterling knows he couldn’t be in better hands as he looks to build a career at the top level of the game.

That is why the Kop boss is relaxed about the ongoing contract negotiations, even though every day past the player’s 18th birthday will raise more questions about Sterling's future.

And that is why Rodgers has taken a personal interest in the talks.

He added: “I have taken a more hands-on approach with Raheem, and I always try to with the younger players, but for me a lot of this is about common sense.

“I don’t want the club or the kid being affected by over-the-odds demands.

“I think there’s a value I see in a young player that hasn’t achieved anything. All the figures that get bandied about for kids these days, and it can destroy them.

“I’m in the business of trying to help nurture these kids, and money distorts the reality, I’ve always said that, so I’ve always tried to ensure that I give my point of view on it.”

Sterling will again be a central part of the Liverpool team that visits West Ham on Sunday.

With striker Luis Suarez suspended, he will be given an even more important role in the Reds' attack.

But Rodgers also talked *extensively with Sterling, who had played just 25 minutes of first-team football for Liverpool before August, about ensuring there is no burn-out.

And, more importantly, about putting in place the foundations for a long and successful career – by thrashing out the right sort of contract to maintain his hunger and professional desire.

He explained: “With young players, contracts get handed out left, right and centre to a kid who’s not done anything – getting a four-year deal on decent money – and then clubs wonder why, after two or three years, it’s gone wrong.

“It’s gone wrong because you’ve given him a four-year deal – you take away his hunger.

“It’s about being sensible, and that’s what we do, but our managing director Ian Ayre does a brilliant job in pulling the contracts together.

“He’s been excellent and* *obviously there’s good communication with the owners.

"So it’s about using common sense rather than going over the top.”

Rodgers will use another *youngster, Jonjo Shelvey, as a replacement for Suarez at Upton Park, with the England international set to be deployed alongside *Sterling in a fluid attack.

Defender Daniel Agger and midfielders Steven Gerrard and Lucas will all return to the starting line-up after missing the midweek Europa League win over Udinese.

Liverpool: Raheem Sterling world domination plan revealed by Brendan Rodgers - Mirror Online

I am having a hard time seeing how we can tell a lad who is setting the EPL on fire to fuck off if he won't take 30k a week. "good riddance" and "well find a better one" is a joke. We have been saying that for 5+ years now. He is truly the only player to come out of the academy that i can see him being a week- n and out player (well jonjo 2 years from now). We spent piss on henderson, downing, cole, etc.. atleast this young man has talent. Lets actually invest in our future..

I keep reading this united is trying to steal him from under us.. how GUTTED would everyone feel if that happen. its been how many decades since there has been a transfer between us and those cunts.. ferguson almost shit a brick when we tried to get gabriel henize and my faith in FSG would be completely squashed if they allowed that to happen with sterling.

If you treat someone like an important first team player, throwing him on with Gerrard and Suarez to save games he doesn't start, then their agents will want them to get aid more than players who are deemed less important.

The club should've had this done ages ago, a pre contract. Now he's played loads for us this season, he'll obviously want a good wage.

Which part of the FSG strategy people don't understand?

They don't want to buy or sign on bosman players over 28 because they have no market value to cash in later on, so they want to buy young players who are cheaper and they can be sold for profit. But they don't want to pay first team wages to young players who become first team players because they are young.Overall they don't want to pay footballers because they are expensive and overated. They want cheap staff(manager, ceo), cheap players, but World Class sponsors and record breaking TV deals. Bargains everywhere.

Is this unreasonable?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Which part of the FSG strategy people don't understand?

They don't want to buy or sign on bosman players over 28 because they have no market value to cash in later on, so they want to buy young players who are cheaper and they can be sold for profit. But they don't want to pay first team wages to young players who become first team players because they are young.Overall they don't want to pay footballers because they are expensive and overated. They want cheap staff(manager, ceo), cheap players, but World Class sponsors and record breaking TV deals. Bargains everywhere.

Is this unreasonable?

That depends if you actually look at reality or not. If you do, then yes, it's unreasonable.