You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Ingurland manager which chump would you pick in goal?

lifetime fan

Who would you pick to play in goal at the World Cup?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. So...

I'm no fan of either Ingurland or Southgate but actually almost feel a bit sorry for him having to pick one of these gimps. He knows whichever clown he picks is going to in all likelihood fuck up this summer and that will mean he's vilified by the press.

So who would you pick?

Pickford, hart, Butland, Pope...

The more I've seen of Butland recently the more I'm thinking he's very overrated. He's let in a lot of goals similar to what Mignolet was doing for us. Like Mignolet he doesn't seem to be a good shot stopper.

Its a poor choice of options really and going on form its probably between Pope and Pickford.

Guest Alex_K

Not a great squad -- but better than it has been in years. Piece together players from ourselves, City, Spurs .. probably 3 of the best 8 teams in Europe right now .. add to that a few from Chelsea & United. With a decent manager they'd be decent underdogs playing on the break with pace & power .. with Southgate likely another tame last 16 exit.

It’s a poor England team when you look at it player by player. But then again, look at some of the sides in the fairly recent past, when there were genuine world class players who were real stars in the Premier League littered throughout. The temptation was to go through those sides, player by player, and think, “We could be dark horses here, or at least a QF, maybe SF.”

And then with the star names the team would significantly underperform, play with a lot of fear, and come home early. Happened all the time.

These days there are no star names, apart from Harry Kane if he gets fit. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I have no expectation that they will do anything, as there are too many players who are not of a high level. But who knows? Maybe they will play without fear and do better than we expect?

PS - I picked Butland as he fills the goal, but he appears to have regressed since his injury.

England always seem to pick goalies who let in loads for their club sides, which seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. Better to select someone with a track record of keeping the ball out of the net, which means there's only one real choice in the poll above.

Hard to be serious but I would let Pope have a stab at it , Buthead is out of sorts, Hart has had his chance and gone backwards . Pickford I don't rate as highly as Pope

I wouldn't want Pickford in goal if I was an Everton fan from what I've seen of him this season. That goal on the weekend would have sent me over the edge if Mig had done that.

Hart is fucking shite.

Butland has lost all confidence and his form is shite.

Pope doesn't have a single cap but is the only keeper in form.

I expect Pope to be the keeper that's left out of the squad for the World Cup.